Author Topic: Who Would Put Extra money into one?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline buckwalka

• Trade Count: (0)
Who Would Put Extra money into one?
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:05:31 AM »
I own and shoot two Handi Rifles and I think they are OK rifles for the money.These rifles are very good guns for the kids to use as their first guns and I even use them from time to time on hunts where a good rifle isnt needed.When im hunting deep in the swamp where a guy must crash through the brush to get to the sweet spot I use a Handi Rifle.Im talking about hunting places where a guy would never take his best rifle in,this is handi Rifle country.

I guess my point to this tread  is,I just cant get over people putting the extra money into these simple rifles.New custom stocks and special custom barrels.I have even read where top notch barrels are fitted to the Handi Rifle stub.What a waste of money doing these things.There is alot of money spent for very little gain?You still have a cheap Handi Rifle when you are done.People just arnt thinking when they do these things.

Whats your take on this?

Offline Bamaflyer

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Who Would Put Extra money into one?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:38:37 AM »
Buckwalka,

Well it is clear to me that you just don't get "it". I have seven Handies with four extra barrels. I also have three TC Encores with two extra barrels. I have an assortment of centerfires made by Browning, Remington, Savage as well as three total custom rifles made from remington, Mauser and 1903 actions all of different calibers. I love each one of them . As it is true that I have special uses and locations where some of them are used, almost all of them can be used interchangeably.I have several of the Handies that shoot 1" or less. I also have some of my more expensive rifles that also shoot very well. To me it is the thrill of taking a less expensive rifle and making it perform as well as it possibly can. Your low opinion of Handies is apparent. If you would be willing to sell these "KID'S" rifles, please let me knoe. I might be willing to take them off your hands.

Rusty

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:19:29 AM »
...man all I can say is the hail storm this is about to bring!  :o
 They are good little rifles with a simple platform, resonably strong action, within it's merits, and are very versitle. Lots of interchangeable calibers, and barrel styles.
 What makes them "less" of a rifle than a Remington or Winchester? Only price is all I can see.
I also own several Bolt actions among very fine quality and makes. I love them and they are awesome shooters. As I do my Handis.
Also tricking one out is a lot cheaper than building a full blown customized rifle. They can be worked on to have a great trigger, though not many come from factory that way.
You can have a nice rifle, and with in a few minutes a Utility rifle all in the same. Not to mention a muzzle loader, shotgun, and rimfire -in the case of the Versa-Pack- all in one.
All and not break the bank, neither by getting a new rifle, or experimenting with a new caliber. All in one.
So why not have that and, if you so desire, a custom barrel specifically made to your liking?
It makes sense to me.

-Aaron

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 09:27:18 AM »

It may not be the best way to spend money on, But some have desires
 for some thing different, Mine is just that, and it is my money!
 Marv.

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:32:08 AM »
"You still have a cheap Handi Rifle when you are done."

Well Buckwalka you certainley know how to stir things up. Cheap in this case does not mean low quality. It means you have a basic well working product without frills that you can improve on if you wish ... or not. Like Popeye says "I am what I am". The Handi "is what it is". Do what you want with it but give others room to do the same. Why you ask ... because it's fun!

Offline rms4570hr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 09:46:31 AM »
  I secound that dillohide these may be cheap guns but they are also tough & accurate little guns i have a NEF .410 that i have had some thirty years and still going strong and is what i started out using to hunt with when i was 8 years old and kept it in the family and the Ultra hunter i have in 45/70 is very accurate with groups at fifty yards i can cover with a milk jug top and less than 1" inch groups at 100 yards so buckwalka don't put these littles gun's down because of their $price$

rms270hr
You know handi rifles are like lays potato chip's with the chip's you can't eat just one same with the handi rifle's you can't buy just one.

rms270hr

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 09:55:11 AM »
Read the Handi-Rifle section of ML McPerson's book, Accurizing the Factory Rifle, his title of the section is The (Lack of!) Trouble with The New England Firearms Handi-Rifle(H&R Ultra), then maybe you'll understand.

Accurizing the Factory Rifle

His opinion as a master gunsmith from his book:

The New England Firearms
Handi-Rifle (and the equivalent H&R Ultra) are a
marvel of modern engineering. Price is in the bargain
basement; performance is in the clouds.
These rifles function and shoot better than most
hardened riflemen will believe. One acquaintance
tells of a tough old Texas rancher, a multi-millionaire,
who chose this rifle as his Alaska and Canada
hunting companion on world-class safaris. If that
were not surprising enough, he fitted his .30-06
Springfield chambered Handi-Rifle (about a $200
gun) with a top-of-the-line Schmidt & Bender
hunting riflescope. (For those who do not know,
Schmidt & Bender is to riflescopes what Rolls-
Royce is to automobiles.)

I have 2 custom H&R rifles, a .338-06 A-Square Ultra and a .405 Winchester Target, both involved rechambering and reboring of the original Green Mountain factory barrels that came on the rifles, in addition to a .35 Remington that's been rechambered from .357Mag and a .45-120 BC that was originally a .45-70. Cost for the rechambers was about $100 each, give or take a little including shipping, reamer rentals. The rechamber/rebores cost ~$300 each in addition to the cost of the rifles. They all shoot 1" or better 100yd groups, so accuracy isn't an issue with any of them. It all boils down to what a fella wants and what he's willing to pay, if you want something a bit different that every Tom, Dick and Harry doesn't have, it's gonna cost a little to be unique. I like em...a lot! I have 21 complete rifles with 5 additional barrels. Nuff said!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Hunternz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:07:17 AM »
Buckwalka,
 I Have a .243 superlight that all up with scope is barely  over 6ibs, that after a little tuning and careful handloading will consistantly group 3 shots under 1".Quite honestly can you buy or build a boltaction rifle that is lighter, shoot straighter and that dosn't  cost twice as much.
Rifles are a personel thing otherwise there wouldn't so many different types of rifles on the market   
Regards Howard. 

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 10:31:50 AM »
because the platform is esily modified, 

you can change a stock without bedding

you can change a barrel with nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver

and while the barrel is off, you can rechamber with just a reamer, than replace the barrel again and know the headspace is correct

No matter what it costs on a HR/NEF, it would be more time consuming and probably more expensive to do similarly on a bolt gun.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 10:37:09 AM »
Well Man.
I have two doodled up Handi's. They sport custom rebored octagon barrels which shoot better than most bolt guns what ever make they may be. I am not BS'ing here. Besides they look as good as they shoot.

They have 24oz triggers that break like a glass rod. Did not cost me very much to get them custom made since I did most all work myself.

These two rifles have a perfect balance, and are very light and easy to carry. Well they are not cheap but a lot cheaper than an equivilant shooting bolt gun.

No I id not buy them because they are cheap but because they are easy to work on.
It is easy for people criticize, when they dont have the faintest idea about the subject. Besides who's money am I spending.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline buckwalka

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 10:44:37 AM »
You guys don't understand what I am saying.I am not bad mouthing them in any way.All I am saying is the Handi Rifle does whats its suppost to do right from the factory.NEF offers them in the calibers that they need to be in.When a guy puts all that extra money into a gun that can be dropped into the mud and you don't feel bad about it why do it?Money spent on something like this is a waste.Put that money into something that will last and might bring you a return someday.

Like I stated above I own two of them.Would I ever depend on one of them on a paid hunt?The answer to that one would be "NO" but off into the brush after a local 4 or 6 point?The answer would be "YES"Or would I send a kid off after his first buck or doe?The answer would be yes.

Like I said im not bad mouthing them in any way

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 11:03:23 AM »
Maybe when you get a few more posts under your belt you will understand.   ::)

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 11:06:19 AM »
Come to think about it, I have 3 NEF rifles I wouldn't want to take into places you mention in your first post.   :o

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Do we all remember the Chevy Vega , well i had one that came stock with a 4 cyl. and after more than $8000.00 and more than one trip down the 1/4 mile at 145+ MPH i still had a VEGA .

Why --- Because I Could and the other guy couldn't .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 11:46:19 AM »
When a guy puts all that extra money into a gun that can be dropped into the mud and you don't feel bad about it why do it?

No buckwalka, I don't think you understand, from your mindset, I doubt you ever will. :(

Here's GeorgiaDave's story of a little friendly competition with a very humbled custom bolt rifle owner.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,95235.0.html

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 11:56:30 AM »
"Would I ever depend on one of them on a paid hunt?The answer to that one would be "NO" ..."

Oh boy, your digging a deeper hole! Wait till you see all the all the antlers taken with Handi's during deer season. I pay for my lease and may take the Winchester model 70 as back up in case the scope gets knocked off my Handi but I'm hunting with the Handi because it makes me happy. It's the same reason I'll probably do a little doe hunting with the 54 caliber T/C Renegade. A single shot is more of a skilled challenge.

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »
I dont understand why you think a gun that does what is supose to do is not sutable for a paid hunt ??? Because it doesnt cost enough?

Offline buckwalka

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 12:03:31 PM »
One thing a person must keep in mind here is we are on the internet.You can post anything you want within reason.Ive seen pictures posted of little groups that they say were shot at 100yds and I know they were shot at a distance more like 25yds.People also post alot of other things that just are not true.I keep this in mind every time I visit a talk forum.

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 12:07:39 PM »
When a guy puts all that extra money into a gun that can be dropped into the mud and you don't feel bad about it why do it?

I have around 10 handguns and around(I think)35 rifles.  Theres not one of these that if I dropped them into the mud it wouldn't bother me.  I think Tim was right on.  You just don't have the right mindset.  Therefore trying to explain to you would be fruitless and a complete waste of time.   ::)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »
One thing a person must keep in mind here is we are on the internet.You can post anything you want within reason.Ive seen pictures posted of little groups that they say were shot at 100yds and I know they were shot at a distance more like 25yds.People also post alot of other things that just are not true.I keep this in mind every time I visit a talk forum.

buckwalka, I suggest you read the GBO terms of service if you intend on sticking around here, you're looking more like a troll with every post you make. We don't take kindly to attitudes such as yours, this forum isn't like most forums, we'd like to keep it that way. >:(

Tim

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 12:13:45 PM »

So, using your logic  how do any of us know if you even have any NEF rifles or have ever shot or seen any of them? 

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 12:19:13 PM »
If you stick around I will take my new Buffalo Classic 45/70 out and shoot some groups at 25 yards but tell everyone I shot them at 200 yards so you won't get bored and have something worthwhile to talk about.   :)

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
Oh, but do I really have a new B/C 45/70?  This is the Internet you know.   :)

Offline Uncle Ji

• Avid Poster
  • ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM EST
    • Hawaiian Style
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 12:24:46 PM »
I won't own a gun that i'm affraid to drop in the mud nor confident enough in to take on a paid hunt be it my Handi-Rifle, leverguns, or bolt guns, they are all workhorses.  My Handi in 223 will shoot inside an inch with proper load all day using a $25 3x9-40 Barska scope.  All I did was polish the bore & chamber, and add a washer on the fore end stud, it having a 2.75 lb. trigger out of the box.  I have fun outshooting friends with their $700 bolt guns using my $200 Handi.  I don't plan on putting any more money into it being statisfied with it just the way it presently is,  but i'm not the type that puts a lift kit and bigger tires on my pick-up truck, different strokes for different folks.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 12:32:38 PM »
buckwaka,I joined this forum just 12 days ago,after reading it and I repeat after reading it for 10 months or so,so many of the regular people who post,I feel as tho I already know them.I don't join just any forums,and realize that maybe you do and have had some bad experiences on other forums.But this one is different and in my opion the best of the best.I think you should sit back and just read it for awhile to get a feal for it and give it another chance.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 01:19:34 PM »

Like I stated above I own two of them.Would I ever depend on one of them on a paid hunt?The answer to that one would be "NO" but off into the brush after a local 4 or 6 point?The answer would be "YES"

man this is where you are messed up . you have no conifdence in handi's and this will only come with time.

i just got rid of a 308 handi that i had a $175 in and after it was all said and done with my handloads it would put every, i say again, EVERY bullet in the same whole. and after killing a deer at (range finder confirmed) 512 yards i biult a lot of confidence in my handi , and guess what i have a 30-06 that shoots even better. when i go hunting i don't go for that 4 and 6 point you talk about , i want something big and where i hunt if you can handle your self (ie rifle) you'll get what you want. so when i go back out this year my custom 1903 30-06 , my custom mauser 308 and my old remington will all stay in the safe and my 30-06 ultra comp that busting clays at 300 yards is cake with , will be by my side. and BTW that 30-06 handi has a lot of custom things to it and its still cheaper then any of my non handi rifles .

so i guess your right these guns are cheap.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 01:35:25 PM »
...All I am saying is the Handi Rifle does whats its suppost to do right from the factory.NEF offers them in the calibers that they need to be in...

This part i agree with. They do chamber them in calibers that almost everyone could want or need. From a 22LR and 17M2 - a 45-70, 500 S&W, and 35 Whelen, it pretty much covers all areas. But there are a few that have ... special needs or wants.. these are the ones that go through the trouble to have a custom barrel done and spend good money on it.

...When a guy puts all that extra money into a gun that can be dropped into the mud and you don't feel bad about it why do it?Money spent on something like this is a waste....

I would shreck even if my one of my beat up Mosins get dropped in the mud!
I think it's more of an appreciation for your rifles, and what they mean to you. That they have some merit, and are of value. Perhaps they mean little to some, but are of great value to most us. And for many reasons, be it the versitility, the fact that it's our own, or that we just take pride and care of our belongings. Hardly a waste.

...Would I ever depend on one of them on a paid hunt?The answer to that one would be "NO" but off into the brush after a local 4 or 6 point?The answer would be "YES"Or would I send a kid off after his first buck or doe?The answer would be yes....

Everyone has that certain rifle that they "go to" and have the up most confidence in. Handi rifles fit this bill for most here. Good balance, great lenght, and a nice fit for most people.
From all indication, though I admit I have never been to Alaska, almost every brush pilot carries a simple NEF Pardner or Topper in the plane. Sounds like they are plenty dependable enough to me.

Ya kinda touched a soft spot for the members here with this, as these fellas -myself included- love their little Handi Rifles. And belittling them and saying that every picture posted here is a fraud isn't very respectful. I know many members here personally and talk to them from time to time. I don't feel they have a need to "Impress" me with fake pictures or how great and skillful a shooter they are. Though it's a fact, we have many they are a good shot, as members that have gone to past PD hunts can testify.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 03:38:43 PM »
buck

I think you should give this a second chance.  This group has a lot of really good guys in it.  They will help you out when they have nothing to gain whatsoever.  I have learned tons.  I found this site by accident when I was starting my search for a handi in 7.62x39 (which I still haven't been able to find). But I have stayed because of the people and the gun.  If you do become a handiholic almost immediately, then it just didn't fit for you.  This isn't a problem, but I know some of these guys truly love the handi.  I do.  I am not dying to have custom barrels done, but I do love my 357 max.  Everyone has their own level of respect for these guns.  Honesly, I haven't taken my rugers out of the cabinet since I bought my first handi. 

I think you have just stepped on a few toes, maybe not intentionally, but stepped on them your have.  Smart comments aren't the way to fix that.  If you just sit back and listen, or ask questions, you might find out why we all enjoy them so much.

You never know what you might like if you try it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 03:41:38 PM »
OK Buckwalka aka Jeff223 if all you came back for is to cause trouble then you'll leave me no choice but to send you on your way again. I do not understand folks like you who seem to get no enjoyment from life unless you are making life miserable for someone else. Go back over to the hog's place where you were and stay away from here. Yes feel free to take you're little running buddies with you. We didn't miss any of you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 03:53:50 PM »
Bill
Wow, I be dog-gone. How did you ever find out. We been had.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.