Author Topic: Full length resize or neck size?  (Read 478 times)

Offline HUNTS

• Trade Count: (0)
Full length resize or neck size?
« on: August 25, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
I'm about to start loading for the 35 Whelen.  I use Lee Collet dies for my bolt actions.  Bought a FL RCBS die for the Whelen.

Should I resize the full length with the RCBS or just the neck?  Any accuracy issues, vertical stringing, etc?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: Full length resize or neck size?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 04:54:55 PM »
 The fast and easy rule is that if what your loading for ISN'T a bolt action you need to FL resize. It'll save you a lot of headaces.

Offline HUNTS

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 05:02:46 PM »
krochus,

That confirms my experience.  I once had a TC Encore in 7mm-08 that shot FL sized cases fine.  Neck sized cases gave me vertical strings that I never could get rid of.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 03:47:41 AM »
The fast and easy rule is that if what your loading for ISN'T a bolt action you need to FL resize. It'll save you a lot of headaces.

I've never heard of this rule...and have been reloading for many many years...I've only heard of having to FL resize everything if your using a autoloader..or if the ammunition will be used in another rifle...Not in a single shot rifle.

How one reloads should be determined by the individual rifle...and that individuals preferences and requirements.

I neck size all of my brass for all of my Handi's...and set the dies up to chamber the round without any heaspace.I've done this for a long time...and my accuracy is excellent...This is what works best for me...If the chamber and bore have a concentric bore/chamber axis..then you can do well neck sizing...if either the chamber or bore are out of alignment..then you may have to full length resize to get good accuracy...Arbitrarily saying one is best isn't really true..It's what works for that rifle...

Try both ways...but do it correctly...and see what works good for you...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 03:22:22 PM »
Mac~

X2

I use only lee collet neck sizers and get excellent accuracy.  Use what works....
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne