Author Topic: 270 OR 25/06  (Read 915 times)

Offline FATTTTDADDY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
270 OR 25/06
« on: August 27, 2006, 07:40:53 AM »
 HELLO,
 I HAVE A 243 ULTRA THAT I AM SELLING THE BARELL AND SENDING IT BACK TO BE FITTED I CANT MAKE UP MY MIND 270 0R 25/06 OR 30/06 THE 243 IS FINE JUST HEAVY THIS WILL BE MY DEER RIFLE/ VARMINT RIFLE I ADDED A SET OF SRAIGHT STOCK LAMINATED STOCKS SO I THINK THE REGULAR CONTOUR BARELL WILL LOOK BETTER WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 270 OR 25/06
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 07:47:11 AM »
I think it would be a lot easier to read your posts if you'd quit yelling and didn't use all caps!

Tim

Typing in all caps is considered shouting. Who wants to read a post where the person screams at you the entire time? The majority of users simply ignore those posts, and any valuable information is lost. Please do NOT use all caps, you will only be perceived as ignorant, inconsiderate, and lazy.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/netiquette.php
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 07:50:33 AM »
Someone posted the other day that the 25-06 is not available and won't be for several months.  You might check to make sure, but this would rule that out, at least for this year.  You may have a hard time getting it back in time for rifle season this year anyway depending on where you are hunting.  Everyone seems to love their 30-06.  I just bought one the other day from Aaron and haven't gotten it yet, so can't help you there.  I am anxious to get mine.  I have a 270 for sale on ebay right now that I never could get to shoot consistently.  I use synthetic stocks and I know some of the guys say that is a bad idea, the wood and lams shoot better.  If you can find one, the 25-06 that I have is awesome.  I put a choate varmint stock on mine and it shoots one little hole at 75 yards for me.  Can't wait to see how the 30-06 does on my setup.  Good luck.

Offline FATTTTDADDY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 07:51:54 AM »
I AM AN ANGRY PERSON . just kidding sorry really did dot notice...

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 07:59:57 AM »
HEY GET ALL THREE,just kidding ;),I like the 06,and the 270.either one would searve you very wel.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 08:36:52 AM »
I have a Ultra in 25/06 and like it as much as my other Handis.
 its a good shooter, although I must admit. I haven't truly had a chance to "wring" it out... :o

I picked it up as a second rifle for my wife. We had been planning a west hunt for mules and pronghorns and her 35 rem pump wont cut it for the extended distaces. I mounted my favorite scope, a Leupold 2X7X32 scope and went shooting.

I shot one box of factort Win 120 sp's and two hand loads for another 25-06 I gave to my brother. I think they where 100Nosler balistic tips. All shot nice groups of a bit bigger than an inch. I have done nothing to this gun. The trip kinda fell thru and the gun is in the safe for another day. She likes it but thinks its a bit heavy.

I had a 30-06 for a short time. I picked that up from a guy who sold it because it would open upon firing. It was the camo lam with a muzzel brake on it. He was shooting Hornady light magnum ammo. I smoked the shelf to check engagemant and found it a bit uneven. Polishing fixed that and there hasnt been any problems since. BUT I also dont shoot factory ammo. 55Grs of 4350 and a 180 SP are its fodder to this day. It resides in a friends gun safe.

I have no experience with a 270 in a Handi. I load for a couple, (Friends and family) but haven't had a reason to oun one.

SO I guess what I am saying is you will be happy with what ever ytou end up getting!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bub524

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
I would go for the 25-06. Never shot one in a Handi, but have in a bolt. That 25-06 is like a lightening bolt when it hits. I've shot it through a 3/4 in peice of steel thinking I was missing the gong at 100yds.! No doubt i my mind, 25-06 over 270.
"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." G. Marx

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:29:41 PM »
Like bub524 I dont have any experience with the Handi in 25-06 but I have a bolt, somewhat custom on a Remington 700 action.  With my handloads, 90gr Seirra Hollow Point with a healthy charge of Varget with a FPS of 3300fps, it will shoot 2" at 400 yards with me on the trigger, slightly bigger with my brother or my dad, I guess because its my rifle.  Before I had it rebuilt I shot a doe at 279 yards and 117 SST Hornady's handloaded with a FPS of 2900ish which dropped the critter in its tracks with a neck shot almost taking its head off.  My buddy was with me and 2 minutes later he shot another doe at 210 yards wtih my 25-06 which litterally blew the heart out the off side.

DK
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 04:09:44 AM »

I've had real good luck with the (4) 25-06 Handi's I've owned...and have enjoyed shooting each of them.I have 1 converted to a 338-06A Square...another being converted to a 270 Winchester right now...1 got stolen out of the mail...and have 1 left here that I am working up loads for...The are great barrels for conversions...and is a great cartridge in it's own right.The 270 barrels are pretty darn good too...I've had 3 of them as well...and wouldn't hesitate recommending it either....You've picked 2 of my favorite calibers..so choosing 1 or the other would be very difficult for me to do....I would try and see if the C/S department could expidite you getting one when your frame gets in there...if they can't...go ahead and have them fit a 270 barrel for you and reserve a 25-06 barrel..you will either have to leave your frame there and wait..or send it back in when they have them......Have them do a trigger job for you while it's there...and anything else you want added...I have them add the steel forearm spacer and trigger gaurds while mine is in...since they will have it apart doing the trigger job anyway..It adds to the overall cost of the gun..but to me it's worth the extra money spent..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Dillohide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:23:10 AM »
That's an excellent suggestion, getting a trigger job while your frame is in for the fitting. I just got a new Handi 30-06 and very impressed with it ... especially the trigger. It's comparable to the trigger pull on my old bolt action 30-06. That's right I got another 30-06 which speaks for what I think about that cartridge on deer. My 30-06 is as accurate as the bolt action and that's saying a lot ... but from what I've heard all three of those cartridges are that way plus the 280. You can't hardly go wrong with the Handi in anything from the 30-06 family.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 10:52:02 AM »
the 25-06 is one of my favorite calibers....this is a tough choice as the .270 is a great cartridge as well.  I guess if I were you I would get both of them.  If not you won't go wrong with either one.

John

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 12:09:58 PM »
Hornady's .257 diam' 87 gr' varminter has a bc' of .322 while their .277 diam' 110 gr' varminter has a bc' of .352.   The .257 diam' boat-tail spire point in 117 gr' weight has a bc' of .391 while the .277 diam' boat-tail spire point in 140 gr' weight has a bc' of .486!    these ballistic co-efficients are out of Hornady's 2005 catalog.   while it's true that i did not seek to closely correlate bullets of similar sectional densities, i quoted these figures because i think they illustrate what the cartridges can best deliver with standard varmint bullets.   

I'll take the .270 Win' over the .25-06 anytime as a true dual-purpose cartridge.   It will recoil more, but it will also allow the use of a match-grade bullet for LONG-RANGE varminting (Sierra's in 135 gr' weight, i believe) and it will provide a great edge over the .25 cal' when it comes to bear, elk, moose, boar, target competition, etc.

Jack O'Connor was actually right about the .270 Win'.   He looked past the early-on bullet failures of the 1920's (and even much later!) to see the tremendous potential of this cartridge that greatly balances it propellants with its bore size.    That's how he developed loads that showed excellent velocities even with bullets up to 180 gr's in weight with the .270!

take care,

ss'   

Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 05:08:05 PM »
BC's are a fun topic, the 125Wildcat 25 cal blows away all previous bullets mentioned in both calibers. Wildcat Bullets offer some real high BC 270 cal. , but most are a little heavy to get good velocities in the 270 case, they work better in the Wea. or WSM. You could make either the 25-06 or 270 a
great long range round for varmits, with the best bullets and loads for each the 25 will have an edge
out to 600-700 yards(slight), & remember the 25-06 has a 26" tube, the 270 does not which gives the 25 a better Var. edge than if comparing the same barrel. For Varmiting out to 400-500 yards like most people enjoy, the 25-06 is a more sensible choice. If someone wants to shoot Varmits further than 700 yards you will need a different setup anyway.
As we have discussed in exhaustive detail in the past, the 25-06 has plenty of power out to 400 yards for Antelope, Whitetail & Mule Deer.
I like the 270 alot and it is a very good all round choice & I would not fault anyone for that choice.
As stated before it will work well for Varmits & very well for Deer. It will work for Elk, Moose & Bears,
but I would much rather have a 30cal. 180 Gr. & at times a 200 Grain for that. Also, 30 caliber Match
Bullets abound if you desire to paper punch, far more types than 25 or 270 cal.
You may not know it yet, but you will have 2 or more barrels anyway, sorry to break the news, but that is the nature of the Beast with us Handi types. So just get  25-06 & 30-06 barrels & you are good to go. 

You did not mention this caliber, but if you absolutely insist on one barrel, I would buy a 280, hands
down! It is a 26" tube & it will outrange the 270 HANDI easily with all of your hunting bullets. You have more Match bullets as well. With the 26" tube you can hang with the 26" 25-06 for Varmits & you have more Varmit bullets than in 270 as well. For heavier animals, your Sec. Density & energy will be up there close to the 30's when you use a 160 or 175 Gr for Bears or Moose. I know you did not mention the big animals, but no problem to have them covered. I plan on using my barrel that Mac
sold me in a weak moment  ;D starting next year & he intends to test it again before he sends it to me.

Yep, to me the 2 barrel choice would be 25-06 & 30-06 & the one barrel choice would HAVE to be
a 280.

Good Shooting: Rod 
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.