Author Topic: Scope For A "Walking" Varmint Rifle  (Read 1410 times)

Offline dogwhisperer5

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope For A "Walking" Varmint Rifle
« on: August 29, 2006, 07:16:55 AM »
   I've recently purchased a Ruger 77RL MKII Ultralight (walnut/blued) .223 as a "walkin' around" varmint rifle...now I'm looking for that perfect "small" scope for this petite rifle. I'm leaning towards the Leupold VX-II Ultralight 3-9x33 EFR AO as a good match. I know that the lower power range won't be of much use, but I think the 9 power upper end will be about right for a 200+- yard farm-country woodchuck rifle like this.
   Any thoughts +- on this choice of scope will be appreciated, as well as any other recommendations. Thoughts on this rifle for the use are welcome also!
Ernie Groves

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Scope For A "Walking" Varmint Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:30:57 PM »
dog, I've never lived in woodchuck country but when I lived in New Mexico a straight 6x leupold compact worked great on my 257bob for jackrabit hunting. I also had a cz 22 hornet with a 6x burris. I really like the 6x scopes for open country hunting. Regards, Byron  ;D
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:45:32 AM »
   I've recently purchased a Ruger 77RL MKII Ultralight (walnut/blued) .223 as a "walkin' around" varmint rifle...now I'm looking for that perfect "small" scope for this petite rifle. I'm leaning towards the Leupold VX-II Ultralight 3-9x33 EFR AO as a good match. I know that the lower power range won't be of much use, but I think the 9 power upper end will be about right for a 200+- yard farm-country woodchuck rifle like this.
   Any thoughts +- on this choice of scope will be appreciated, as well as any other recommendations. Thoughts on this rifle for the use are welcome also!

You have probably found one of the best scopes for your intended purpose.  HOWEVER, I suggest that you talk to Jon at the optic zone.  He has a new brand of scope coming in that actually has BETTER optics than the Leupold 3x-9x-33mm AO AND it is less expensive.  These new scopes should be coming in around the end of October I think, so I waiting eagerly till then.

Again, call Jon at the optic zone, and tell him that Zachary briefly told you about the 3x-9x-32mm AO clearidge.  Trust me....just be a little patient.  You will get a scope that is BETTER than leupold AND for less money!!!!

Zachary

Offline myarmor

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:16:04 AM »
You have probably found one of the best scopes for your intended purpose.  HOWEVER, I suggest that you talk to Jon at the optic zone.  He has a new brand of scope coming in that actually has BETTER optics than the Leupold 3x-9x-33mm AO AND it is less expensive.  These new scopes should be coming in around the end of October I think, so I waiting eagerly till then.

Again, call Jon at the optic zone, and tell him that Zachary briefly told you about the 3x-9x-32mm AO clearidge.  Trust me....just be a little patient.  You will get a scope that is BETTER than leupold AND for less money!!!!

Zachary

??? ??? ??? Do tell
-Aaron

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 01:39:48 PM »
I don't want to let the cat out of the bag too much...you got to ask Jon at the optic zone.  I don't want to say too much without his knowledge or permission.  I will say this - I am VERY excited about the quality of his new line and I can't wait to buy one and try it out!  Can you imagine getting a scope equal to (or better) than a Leupold for noticeably less money??????  Start believing!!!

Again, just give Jon a call.  Tell Jon that Zachary very briefly and generally told you to ask him about clearidge and whether you should wait for them to come out.  Jon may fill you in on a few details. :)

Zachary

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 02:38:38 PM »
Zachary, there is already a scope on the market that is as good as a leupold for half the price. It is called "Swift". Regards, Byron  ;D
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 05:25:55 PM »
Can you imagine getting a scope equal to (or better) than a Leupold for noticeably less money???  Start believing!!!

I sure don't buy that line about the Swift but the Bushnell Elite's are already exactly what you're saying is coming Zach. They're already here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:33:20 PM »
What is the definition of a walking varmint rifle? Similar to a predator rifle?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 08:48:55 PM »
Graybeard, Just curious. Have you ever used one of the swift premier scopes? I had a friend in Maine that was a die hard Leupold man until I gave him a 3-9x40 swift premier for a gift. Changed his mind. Regards, Byron  ;D
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline dogwhisperer5

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:50:10 AM »
What is the definition of a walking varmint rifle? Similar to a predator rifle?

Cheese

A "walking" varmint rifle (as in "walking around" while hunting) is a light, easily carried rifle in a caliber appropriate for varmint HUNTING .This is as opposed to a heavy barreled, "set it up in one spot and see what shows" varmint SHOOTING rifle.
   In my case, the use will be in "farm country" for woodchucks with 200+- yard maximum shots, so a "quiet" cartridge (.22 Hornet, .222, .223) is most appropriate as opposed to .22/250, .220, .243, etc. 
Ernie Groves

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 03:11:24 AM »
Zachary, there is already a scope on the market that is as good as a leupold for half the price. It is called "Swift". Regards, Byron  ;D

Yea right, not any good eye relief from a Swift. Every Swift scope I saw and used, I had to get to close to the scope to get a good sight picture. Not good on heavy kickers.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 03:14:01 AM »
Graybeard, Just curious. Have you ever used one of the swift premier scopes? I had a friend in Maine that was a die hard Leupold man until I gave him a 3-9x40 swift premier for a gift. Changed his mind. Regards, Byron  ;D

If you want to give me one as a gift, I would be more than happy to trade it in on a new Leupold.  :D ;)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 03:14:50 AM »

Nope. I've looked thru a bunch of Swift scopes on rifles belonging to others. I've never owned one and never will however. Pretty much all my scoped guns wear either Bushnell or Leupold and the mix is about half and half I guess.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 04:59:59 AM »
When I made my statement about a scope as good or better than Leupold but for less money, yes, it is definately true that the Elite 4200 fits that bill - no question about it.  Heck, as many of you know, I am a huge Elite 4200 fan.  I can't tell you exactly how many Elite scopes I own because they are so many.

However, I should clarify one thing to everyone, and Graybeard.  Leupold has the VX-II 3x-9x-33mm AO rimfire scope.  This was the scope originally mentioned in the first post.  I was actually refering to Jon's new line of scope that is almost identical to THIS PARTICULAR Leupold model.  The specs are very similar except Jon's scope has better optics.  Remember, the new VX-II has the same glass as the older Vari-X IIIs (which is about 88% or so).  Jon's new scope has a lot better light transmission.  Again, I don't want to talk too much at this point in time. 

Again, I just want to clarify that Jon has a "Leupold VX-II 3x-9x-33mm AO" type scope with better optics and for noticeably less money.  As such, if the original poster wants to get this particular leupold, I strongly recommend that he wait for Jon's new scope that should be coming in sometime in the fall.

Gee, I sure wish Jon could come in here and help me out.  I just don't want to say too much without his consent.  All I'm saying is - just wait a little bit longer.....I am. ;)

As for the Swift scopes, the premier line is pretty good, especially for the money, but you really can't compare the Swift Premier to the Leupold VX-II - you really can't.  The Leupold, although A LOT more expensive, is truthfully a better scope.  Maybe not dollar for dollar, and thus maybe the Leupold is not a better "value," but it still is a better scope.

Zachary

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 06:48:19 AM »
I have owned a few bushnels over the years starting with a scopechief in the early 70's. I had a 3200 and was not that inpresed with it. I have not owned a 4200 because the price is so close to a leupold I just buy a leupold if I am going to spend close to $400.00 on a scope.

For a inexpensive scope I don't think you can beat the swift. At least I have not found anything near the price that compares.

I have been buying some new rifles lately and am thinking about trying a conquest or two. This thread interests me because one of the rifles I bought is a tang safety ruger UL in 257roberts. The swifts are 40mm and a little large as are the conquests. I may just end up with another leupold 2-7 for that rifle. The leupolds are nice when you balance size, weight, eye relief, and optics all into the package.

Graybeard, I seam to remember you mentioning a while ago that you had problems with eabco. There are other places that sell swift optics. You really should try one just to get first hand experience with them.

Redhawk, swift scopes may not be the best choice for your big recoiling rifles but remember all rifles don't begin with 4. Regards, Byron  ;D
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »
I have owned a few bushnels over the years starting with a scopechief in the early 70's. I had a 3200 and was not that inpresed with it. I have not owned a 4200 because the price is so close to a leupold I just buy a leupold if I am going to spend close to $400.00 on a scope.

For a inexpensive scope I don't think you can beat the swift. At least I have not found anything near the price that compares.

I have been buying some new rifles lately and am thinking about trying a conquest or two. This thread interests me because one of the rifles I bought is a tang safety ruger UL in 257roberts. The swifts are 40mm and a little large as are the conquests. I may just end up with another leupold 2-7 for that rifle. The leupolds are nice when you balance size, weight, eye relief, and optics all into the package.

Graybeard, I seam to remember you mentioning a while ago that you had problems with eabco. There are other places that sell swift optics. You really should try one just to get first hand experience with them.

Redhawk, swift scopes may not be the best choice for your big recoiling rifles but remember all rifles don't begin with 4. Regards, Byron  ;D

Well even my 338 and 300 win mag would not sport a Swift. Sorry I have gone that route before and learned my lesson. If the Swift works for you, great, but you won't see one in my gun safe. We have one gun shop in Delaware that pushes the Swift scopes, I just have to laugh when I see guys out hunting and I see there Swift scopes, not because of the scope but I know who sold them the gun and scope combo. It is usually on a slug gun and in my opinion there is a lot of recoil there also.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »
I must say that when it comes time for me to mount a scope on a hard kicking rifle, I look to Leupolds first because they are the industry leader in eye relief.

That said, I have a 7mm Ultra Mag that wears an Elite 4200 4x-16x-50mm  The eye relief is about a constant 3.6" if memory serves me correct.  The scope does come awfully close to hitting me when that I shoot that dang gun.  I do get sub MOA groups with it, but I would feel more comfortable having a bit more eye relief.

Also, I have an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x-something mm with the Firefly reticle.  This little scope in mounted on a .375H&H mag!  The eye relief on this scope is about 3.6."  The scope has never hit me, but I would still feel more comfortable with longer eye relief.

As for Zeiss Conquests scopes, I hold them in a very high regard.  I like them better than the older Vari-X IIIs, and about the same as the newer VX-IIIs.  My favorite model is the 3x-9x-40mm because it has a constant 4" of eye relief.  The other models have about 3.5" of eye relief.  As such, I would opt for a lesser priced (but not lesser quality) Elite 4200s.

Another good thing about Leupolds is that they are generally lighter and shorter than most scopes in their magnification range.  The bad thing is that, if you really don't need these characteristics, you are paying quite a bit of money more than the average scope.  The bad thing about the Elite 4200s is that they seem to be longer and heavier.  Then again, with about the same super high quality optics, the Elite 4200s are noticeably less expensive than the Leupold VX-IIIs.

Zachary

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 10:14:27 AM »
Zachary, arn't the 4200's about the same price they are selling the conquests on sale right now. A gun shop in Anchorage told me last week they were getting some in they could sell for less than $400.00. Unfortunally they didn't arrive before I had to leave to come home. I see Jon is advertizing a sale price also on the conquest, although I have not called him yet to ask the actual price.

If this new scope you mentioned is small like a leupold maybe I should wait until they are available. The other scope I looked at in Anchorage that I liked was a Burrus 2-7 short mag. But there was not much room to move the scope forward or back in the rings. OH well decisions decisions. Isn't it fun. Regards, Byron  ;D
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 04:23:41 PM »
The Bushnell 4200 elite is a great scope for sure.....but it's rather large in size and weight.  Not really what I'd put on an ultra light rifle.

How about a Nikon Monarch fixed 4X?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline dogwhisperer5

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 02:47:44 AM »
The Bushnell 4200 elite is a great scope for sure.....but it's rather large in size and weight.  Not really what I'd put on an ultra light rifle.

How about a Nikon Monarch fixed 4X?

For big game use, I don't doubt that a 4X would be plenty...but in my case on the .223 for woodchucks, I need something with more magnification. Back in my salad days my "chuck gun" was a Sako Vixen .222 (somehow I let that one get away from me!) with a Weaver K-6 and there were times that I wished for a bit more scope, even with my young eyes in those years, on 200 yard head shots.
Ernie Groves

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 10:28:12 AM »
Dog, their was a older weaver 10x for sale on the predator masters form. They wanted $80.00 for it. Might work for what you want. Do a search in their classifieds as it was a couple of monts ago. Byron  ;D
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Zachary

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 01:40:27 PM »
Zachary, arn't the 4200's about the same price they are selling the conquests on sale right now. A gun shop in Anchorage told me last week they were getting some in they could sell for less than $400.00. Unfortunally they didn't arrive before I had to leave to come home. I see Jon is advertizing a sale price also on the conquest, although I have not called him yet to ask the actual price.

If this new scope you mentioned is small like a leupold maybe I should wait until they are available. The other scope I looked at in Anchorage that I liked was a Burrus 2-7 short mag. But there was not much room to move the scope forward or back in the rings. OH well decisions decisions. Isn't it fun. Regards, Byron  ;D

You can call Jon and ask him about what the prices are on the Zeiss Conquests.  The conquest really is a wonderful scope.  It really is a toss-up between it and the Elite 4200.  It all depends on your use.  But I agree, the Elite 4200s tend to be larger and heavier than most in their magnification range.

While you are at it, and you are talkin to Jon, you can ask him about the 3x-9x-32mm AO Clearidge that I was generally talking about.

Zachary

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 10:10:57 PM »
Redhawk1, Just so you don't half to check the mail several times a day. The chances of me giving you anything are slim to none  ;D I have given several guns, scopes, etc  away as gifts, but only to people that I felt would appreciate the gift. Regards, Byron
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 04:32:50 PM »
Redhawk1, Just so you don't half to check the mail several times a day. The chances of me giving you anything are slim to none  ;D I have given several guns, scopes, etc  away as gifts, but only to people that I felt would appreciate the gift. Regards, Byron

Fine by me, I would rather buy a good scope that be given an inferior one.  :D ;D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 05:01:31 PM »
Well Redhawk, you'll be glad to know I ended up buying another Leupold for this rifle.  ;D Makes your day I know!! Regards, Byron
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »
Well Redhawk, you'll be glad to know I ended up buying another Leupold for this rifle.  ;D Makes your day I know!! Regards, Byron

I knew you would come around to the dark side... LOL  ;D A happy shooter is a Leupold shooter.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA