Author Topic: Scope--cannot unscrew rings! HELP  (Read 278 times)

Offline bozeman

• Trade Count: (1)
Scope--cannot unscrew rings! HELP
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:46:01 AM »
Guys,
I sold a 30-06 rifle, but am keeping the scope.  I had it put on last year and the scope is great.  However, when I tried to unscrew the bolts in the rings, they will not budge.  Any ideas on how to get these off, so I can ship my gun?

Thanks,
Bozeman

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Scope--cannot unscrew rings! HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:10:06 AM »
Someone likely improperly used loc-tite or some other adhesive on the ring screws, a real NO-NO.

Depending on what was in fact used you might try using a properly fitted screwdriver and a hammer. Put the screwdriver in the screw and pound on it kinda gentlly with the hammer while trying to remove the screws. This is really a two person job unless you have a good vise to hold the gun.

In extreme cases heat might be required. I'd first try a hair dryer as it's not so hot as to damage anything but can help. If it's a really hard setting adhesive tho that ain't gonna cut it. You might have to apply serious heat as with a torch. That's a very delicate job best handled by someone with experience. If you have a good gunsmith locally it might be wise to just take it to him and let him handle the chore.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Scope--cannot unscrew rings! HELP
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:31:21 AM »
I use a micro torch for base screws that are hard to remove, heating just the screw with the tip of a pencil soldering iron might work too. I've read that Kroil is a super penetrating oil, might give it a soak and see.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain