Author Topic: Accurizing the USH?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Rangeball

• Trade Count: (1)
Accurizing the USH?
« on: August 30, 2006, 09:41:46 AM »
I've heard there are some things you can do to accurize the USH, such as put a rubber 0-ring between the forearm and barrel.  Has anyone tried this or any other tips?  Did it make a difference?

And what exactly is the procedure for where to put the O-ring?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Accurizing the USH?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:25:14 AM »
Rangeball,

This is an easy fix for some, others report it don't help. I use it on my USH, and she really shoots. I also use it on my Huntsman, .223 Ultra Varmint, .17 Hummer. It is an inexpensive fix that wont break the bank and leave you out more than a few cents if it don't work or if it does work.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,82904.0.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/quickdtoo/ORing.jpg
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »
Thanks Busta.

I just mounted a new scope, haven't done the sighting in yet.  I thought I'd try this if it didn't hurt anything if it doesn't work.

Have you seen anyone report their USH shot WORSE after trying this? 

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »
Have you seen anyone report their USH shot WORSE after trying this? 

Nope! Just shoot a couple groups with and without, the gun will let you know.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 10:05:58 AM »
Busta, thanks a bunch.  I'm gonna give it a whirl.

What slugs does your USH like?  What gauge do you shoot?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 05:37:15 PM »
Mine is a 20ga. It likes most everything except the New Hornady SST's, unfortunately. :'( I shot some of those a couple weeks ago and my best group was somewhere around 3-1/2", I think. CRS is actin up. I have shot the Remington Ultra CoreLokt, Winchester Partition Gold, Federal Barnes, Rem Copper Solids, Win Platinum Tips around 1-1/2" to 2" average and some MOA groups. The Lightfields will shoot good one time and bad the next, but I think that is a issue with the slug & sabot. I think the Hornady SST's need a little more work on the sabot too.

Every gun is an individual, you will have to let it tell you what it likes. It can get expensive to feed it, trying to figure out what it likes best.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 03:58:24 AM »
Thanks.  Mine's a 12g, haven't shot the hornady's or remingtons, but it hated the winchester partition golds.  It likes the 3/4 oz 1900 federal barnes the best, but unfortunatley over a chrony I only average 1700 fps with them :(

I have some CCS 1980 fps loads on their way that use the same 325 grain .50 barnes MZ that Federal uses.  I have high hopes for them.

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 11:31:41 AM »
Busta, went to the hardware store, they didn't have 9/16" x 3/8"x 1/8", I had to get 2 that had the right OD and ID but the thickness was 3/32", putting me at 6/32" thickness, a hair over 1/8".

Free floats the barrel nicely, actually there is a pretty nice gap between the forearm and barrel.  If I try on ring I get a bit of contact with the forearm when trying to run a piece of paper between them.  I assume the goal is to get clearance, and if I sanded the forearm a bit to get clearance with 1 it should work as well as if I used two ony look better because of the smaller gap?

Won't get a chance to shoot it until next week.  I have my fingers crossed.

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 11:32:45 AM »
Busta, went to the hardware store, they didn't have 9/16" x 3/8"x 1/8", I had to get 2 that had the right OD and ID but the thickness was 3/32", putting me at 6/32" thickness, a hair over 1/8".

Free floats the barrel nicely, actually there is a pretty nice gap between the forearm and barrel.  If I try on ring I get a bit of contact with the forearm when trying to run a piece of paper between them.  I assume the goal is to get clearance, and if I sanded the forearm a bit to get clearance with 1 it should work as well as if I used two ony look better because of the smaller gap?

Won't get a chance to shoot it until next week.  I have my fingers crossed.

Offline Francis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 09:28:48 PM »
I use Hastings Laser Accurate. They are 1 1/4 oz slug. They are not the fastest out there, but if you watch thier informational video, it looks good. I had a chance to speak to one of thier engineers and it was like talking to a guru on steroids. If you go to: www.grafs.com they have an excellent price (just bought 40 rounds). As for the accuracy, I pick where on a 1/2 gal milk jug, at 100 yards I want to hit it, and do just that.