Author Topic: Reminton Model 51 ... Need a Magazine For It  (Read 371 times)

Offline zipperzap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Reminton Model 51 ... Need a Magazine For It
« on: August 30, 2006, 06:46:12 PM »

Got a call from #2 son today - a .380 Remington 51 came into the store in mint condition (not the one above) BUT without the original magazine. Now don't laugh, although not a Colt, it WAS designed by John Pedersen - Pedersen had worked with Browning and later Pedersen worked for the US Army and provided competition to John Garand's M1. Gen. Geo. Patton had a 51 and is said to have favored it - favored it over what ... is unknown..

Now that I may have stifled the laughter,  we currently don't have a Rem. 51 in our eclectic collection and would like to find an original magazine for it. Anyone have any idea who might have one???

Thanks, in (hopeful) advance! ;D
“A man is but the product of his thoughts ...
if he thinks - he is.”

Offline zipperzap

• Avid Poster
Re: Reminton Model 51 ... Need a Magazine For It
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 09:18:17 PM »
Found one on fleabay ... what are the odds ??? ... original
 in mint condition! ;D ;D ;D

sn: is 2990X .... can anyone give me the manufacture date?
if he thinks - he is.”

Offline Oldoperator

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 07:51:56 PM »
I have one and it was made in either late 1918 or early 1919. But Remington did make them up untill 1927 or 8. It is without a doubt the most comfortable pistol I've ever had in my hand but also the most difficult to disassemble and reassemble of pistols I've ever owned. I think that's why they weren't all that popular, although I understand General Patton hade one and loved it. You can also get magazines for it from Gun Parts out of NY, but they are not original and seldom have many other parts for them.
NRA Life Member since 1971.

Offline zipperzap

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 02:22:38 PM »
Yeah ... I can't wait to get it out on the range. I've got an '03 (.32) and a mint (almost) '08 (.380)
Colt/ a PP and PPK/S in .380 ... and, oh yes, a Mak .380 and like them all. It's going to be
interesting to compare them with another compact hammerless. I've heard a lot about them but have
never gotten my hands on one before - let alone bought one.

I HAVE heard, though, that assembly and disassembly IS quite easy for those folks who have THREE
HANDS! For the rest of us, however, it's not a good thing!
if he thinks - he is.”