Author Topic: 45/70 12 gauge sabot  (Read 507 times)

Offline craneman207

• Trade Count: (1)
45/70 12 gauge sabot
« on: September 01, 2006, 02:21:12 PM »
Hey gang! I am thrilled to have found this site!  I can see that I will be here often.

I have a few questions that I would like to find answers to in the quest for my first handi.

In Iowa it is slug only for deer and I am going to get a 12 ga ultra and would also like to get a .45-70 since ballistics seem to be comparible so that I can get in some useful practice without breaking the bank on sabots while using the same gun for familiarity.  Does the Ultra Hunter 12 ga share the same action as the .45-70 or would that require a different action? And can a shot barrel be had on the same action?

I also just read a post that states that all new handi's come with extractors rather than the ejectors, can they be special orderd with ejectors?  I would rather have the ejector for faster follow up shots.

I look foreward to hearing from the many informed members that haunt this site!

Thanks a bunch!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 45/70 12 gauge sabot
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 02:29:52 PM »
Welcome to GBO!! No on rifle barrel on the shotgun frame, they won't fit any rifle barrels to shotgun frames, but they will fit shotgun barrels to rifle frames.

Negative on the ejector request unless they just happen to have the barrel you want with an ejector, shotgun barrels may still have ejectors but they will all be extractors eventually.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 45/70 12 gauge sabot
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 03:18:24 AM »
Go out and buy the ultra slug. I think you will be VERY PLEASENTLY suprised with its perfirmance. Both on the bench and on game.

Quick gave you the scoupe, if you want both it will require two guns. BTW, the Ultra 12ga is a different animal anyhow. As its made on a 10ga frame and 10ga barrel.

Mine is a excellent shooter, as most are. With its favorite load (Rem copper solids) it will keep all holes touching at 100yrds. The Rem ULTRA SLUG's will shoot centered only about 2" higher at the same 100 yrds. So I am confident on taking 200 yard shots with this gun ands ammo. Thats quite a poke for a "slug gun"!!

Couple years back Rem came out with BUCKHAMMERS. This is one HEAVY WEIGHT LOAD!!!  It dosent shoot quite as well but plenty good enough fo the shotts here on the east coast. Shoots about 2" groups @ 100yds. It reall does hit like a HAMMER!!! I watched a hunting buddie shoot a deer that first season we tried them. We where about 20 yeds apart the deer was wlking directly at me so he was a perfect broad side for my friend. At about 25yrds + - he hit it in the shoulder. that deer was actually pushed to the side before falling. VERY impressive!!!

Good luck

OH, welcome to your handi addiction, I am sorry to say there is no known cure and yes it is a terminal addiction!  :o ;D ;D :D ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.