Author Topic: Time to say goodbuy to an old friend  (Read 863 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Time to say goodbuy to an old friend
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »
When it's time to say goodbye to your faithful old 4 legged friend due to the ravages of age can you to put them out of their suffering yourselves or do you make that final trip to the vet?  I'm afraid it is time for my pal Oscar to go to his final rest and I will have to make that trip to the vet because I just can not look him in the face and pull the trigger.   :'(
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
Re: Time to say goodbuy to an old friend
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 10:31:22 AM »
It is very hard to say good bye to those 4 legged friends that love you unconditionally. My eyes well up at the thought of my long gone yellow lab.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline dstegjas

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:05:04 AM »
Brett,
This and a few other pictures along with his collar, tags and leash is all I have left of my old hunting buddy. I had to put him down several years ago after a second bout with cancer. After 12 years of hunting, laying by the fire and growing up with my daughter. I just couldn't bring myself to do it myself. I took him to the vet and had them put him down. Ironically he is laying under the flower bed that he loved to lay in when he was alive.

It's a tough thing to do no matter how it's done. Be thankful you have good memories of those days in the feild and at home.

Jim
Ohhh, so many guns and so little time to buy them.  :)

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 02:37:11 AM »
When it's time to say goodbye to your faithful old 4 legged friend due to the ravages of age can you to put them out of their suffering yourselves or do you make that final trip to the vet?  I'm afraid it is time for my pal Oscar to go to his final rest and I will have to make that trip to the vet because I just can not look him in the face and pull the trigger.   :'(

I went through the same thing about 3 yrs ago in July.  My mixed border collie had reached the limits of his life (13 yrs) and I really didnt want to take him to the Vet for a needle, and I know I couldn't have pulled the trigger on him.

I asked one of my friends if he could come up and do it, and he refused.  In the long run, he didn't want me thinking that he killed my dog.

He stopped eating, but he still liked his milk bones and carrots.  Then stopped drinking.  He died a peaceful death at home one morning with my hands on him, in the only place he ever knew.  For me, the needle was way too impersonal.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 03:13:13 PM »
I'm sorry you have to make this decision. When it comes time for Quester, my wonderful hunting beagle, to pass on, I will do it myself with a .22 caliber bullet to his brain in the unfortunate case that it becomes necessary. I believe this is the quickest and most humane thing I will be able to do for him. I wil bury him there and put up a little concrete monument to him. I sure hope he dies in his sleep so I don't need to intervene like this. I will feel terrible regardless of the method of despatch.

Whatever you do, just make the decision that you believe is most humane.

Safety first

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 07:05:19 PM »
It is a gut wrenching decision to make, but if the dog is suffering and no longer has a quality life it is the right deicision.  I had to have two put down at the same time, one we raised from a puppy, he had been with us for over 15 years, the other one we acquired when he was about three years old, we had him about 11 years.  It was almost like loosing one of the kids, but they were both old and sick, the vet helped by providing support and agreeing that it was the right decision.  That helped, but it didn't make it any easier.  We took it hard, said we would never have another dog, but acquired another puppy after about six months, and picked up a "pound hound" to keep him company.  I sure hate the thought of the day I have to put them down, but at my age, I worry more about how they will be cared for should something happen to me.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:20:59 AM »
I have had need to put four to rest over the years, all but one lived to a good age.
Put them down I will, for their sake--not mine.
I can't do it--the vet has too.
The one I have now will be the same--if it is not me that goes first.
I loved those dogs-each in a different way and they were all good and faithful.
Now I have had a couple from hell and they went away to someone else but not by my hands.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 03:53:27 AM »
The one time it's needed done, I've done it myself.  I gave her a favorite treat and did the deal while she had her head down.  She always freaked out at the vet, and I would rather cause myself a little extra pain than put her through that.  I figured it was my responsibility, and I owed it to her to put her through as little stress as possible. 

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 04:39:44 PM »
Them dogs just don't live long enough.....they just don't live long enough...........................

........................Tm7

So true
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:00:49 AM »
Each of us have to deal with this in our own way." There is no easy way out" I've had quite a few dogs in my 63 yrs, most were good dog's and a few were not, but a couple were so special I thought of them as family.It left a hole in my heart, when they were gone.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.