Author Topic: Steve Irwin, Rest in peace  (Read 398 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Steve Irwin, Rest in peace
« on: September 04, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »
I never liked his namby pamby politically correct characterization of the dangerous animals he was molesting, but he did do a lot for animals and conservation by making animals both entertaining and interesting to a lot of people who hardly know what animals are.

It's too bad he died so young. I believe his best years were ahead of him because he could have done even more for conservation and education.

And what an ironic way to go after dealing with so many creatures that are generally recognized as dangerous. I wonder if anyone else has ever died that way.

Tragic.
Safety first

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
Re: Steve Irwin, Rest in peace
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 04:56:23 AM »
According to the news that I saw only three people in the history of Australia have ever been killed by a ray. The last one was in 1945.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Online Casull

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:43:25 AM »
I normally enjoyed watching his show, but he was not a conservationist, even though he called himself such.  Like many or most of the so-called conservationists, he was a preservationist.  In other words he did not believe in conserving nature, but in preserving it.  In other words no hunting.  Hunters are the worlds' great conservationists, and most of the so-called conservationists abhore us.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 12:22:57 PM »
You may be right. I liked watching his shows whenever we were on the road and staying at hotels with cable TV. One episode was on how he got the meat to feed his crocodiles: He hunted pigs for their meat.  I hadn't thought of his message as being preservationist, I thought it was more like that Walt Disney characterization of all animals being benign.
Safety first

Offline NYH1

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 01:50:09 PM »
I am about as surprised to heard about Steve Irwin getting killed as I am when I hear about a racer car driver getting killed. I remember the time he was holding his baby around that crocodile that lunged at them almost getting his baby. After that I pretty much considered him an idiot.

I do feel really bad for his family and friends. Hate to see anyone die that doesn't deserve it. Steve Irwin definitely didn't deserve to die. As I already said.............I'm not surprised though!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"