Author Topic: BB Mortar question  (Read 955 times)

Offline C. Jay

• Trade Count: (0)
BB Mortar question
« on: September 06, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
I have seen movies and pictures of BB mortars and have decided to build one, with the assistance of a machinist and a gunsmith.  I have an oxygen tank of the proper size and I am ready to cut it, having a rough plan for the build.
One question (for Now!)—Is there any use for the bottom of the tank as a mortar?  Of all the pictures I have seen, only one might have been built from the bottom of a tank--I couldn't tell.

Thanks in advance,

C. Jay

P.S.  interesting site, esp for the videos of the bb mortar shoot 
http://www.issmc.com/mortars/index.htm
http://www.issmc.com/mortars/images/2005_photos.htm
http://www.issmc.com/mortars/videos/2005_bbmc_videos.htm

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: BB Mortar question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »
That Indiana shoot is a very interesting competition.  However the way they build their Mortars puts them outside the scope of this board and we don't allow the discussion of them on this forum. The Stokes mortar is a post 1898 design and to build one may require ATF permission. Stokes Mortar

Now if you wish to build one of these to resemble a pre 1899 mortar we are here to help.  You certainly would be the star of the shoot if you should.  I will also tell you that you would be at a distinct advantage if you built pre 1899. The Mortar will be more robust, heavier and more accurate. We have had several of the board member build these types of mortars.

I believe the Annual Caspar Wyoming cannon shoot featured bowling ball mortars. They shot at a target at 600 yards.

Here are our board Rules for your review.

This board is for the making and shooting of blackpowder mortars and cannons that meet ATF's description of an antique or replica of an antique.  You will find Links to ATF's various descriptions in our FAQ's and references posted at the top of the board.

We as moderators will enforce this rule as we understand ATF's definition.  We are not Lawyers.  We are going to go with what we know and understand. This is for your protection as well as ours.  We do not want this forum to become the hunting grounds for rookie ATF Agents trying to make their reputation.  The Veterans aren’t going to bother us they are to busy looking for real crooks.

If you wish to provide us with a letter from ATF defining whatever other device you wish to discuss as an antique we will allow the discussion. Provide the letter first.

That being said this is what we accept on this forum.

1.  Any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition

and

2. Manufactured in or before 1898...or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898)

or

3. Any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Stokes Mortar Click on this link for a explanation of why the Stokes Mortar is not allowed on this board. Stokes Mortar

The Indiana shoot is clearly an NFA shoot and well outside the scope of this forum.  You will find an NFA board else where on Graybeards.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:53:18 PM »
C.Jay - WELCOME to the board!

MANY of us are envious that you've found one of the elusive "slightly larger" tanks that fits bowling balls!

DD said it right, I'll simplify, Keep it safe, legal, polite and fun.

We're anxious to see pictures of BOTH it shooting and every step of construction!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline C. Jay

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:39:42 AM »
Sorry about the rule violation--my intent is to build a pre 1899 mortar.  Being thrifty, I wondered if I could obtain two mortars form the same tank-one top and one bottom.
Back to my origional question--would the tank bottom be strong enough for a mortar?

Now if you wish to build one of these to resemble a pre 1899 mortar we are here to help.  You certainly would be the star of the shoot if you should.  I will also tell you that you would be at a distinct advantage if you built pre 1899. The Mortar will be more robust, heavier and more accurate. We have had several of the board member build these types of mortars.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
C. Jay

btw--I have been reading this board for about a year and you seem like a great bunch of guys!!!
cjh

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 07:06:09 AM »
First you violated no rule.  I just wanted to give you far warning so you didn't misunderstand about this board.

Actually I do think the bottom could be used to to make the sleeve for another mortar, but it will take lot more work, and probably really isn't worth the time.

Here is a mortar you could replicate.

Offline C. Jay

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 05:48:08 AM »
That's more like I had in mind! 

Thanks.

Anyone else??

C. Jay