Author Topic: 38 special for back-up in the outdoors?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
38 special for back-up in the outdoors?
« on: September 06, 2006, 01:11:38 PM »
I plan on taking my 38 spl as a side arm on my elk and deer hunts this year in Oregon. Most of my deer and elk hunting will be with a traditional ML. We have a heavy population of cougar in the southwest part of the state where I hunt, so I'll pack a little extra firepower! lol My question is this.....what would be a good round for stopping power in the not to potent 38 sp?
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 38 special for back-up in the outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:22:17 PM »
I'd not wanna go with less than the .357 Mag if I thought I'd need it to defend my life from a cougar. I think the perception of danger really far out weights the real danger but still if I were to need it I'd sure not want it to be a .38 Special. BUT if I did go with it I'd use either a 140 to 158 JHP and load it as hot as the gun would allow.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 01:33:53 PM »
I'd personally use a hard cast Keith style 158 grain bullet hand loaded to maximum velocity. There are some hand loads that will allow the 38 special to fire bullets from a 6" barrelled revolver at nearly 1000fps using standard pressures (not +P). There might be a better loading than this, but whatever you do, make sure you research loads and bullets. There are so many personal defense loads that are made for defense against people, and not against heavily muscled animals like cougars. I believe CorBon sells some really hot 38 specials if you're not a reloader and don't mind firing a few +P rounds from your 38.
Safety first

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:00:14 PM »
I've never had to defend myself against a critter in the wilds but if I did my caliber of preference would be some kind of 45 loaded hot enough to push a 240 gr. bullet to 1200 fps. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 05:26:16 AM »
I plan on taking my 38 spl as a side arm on my elk and deer hunts this year in Oregon. Most of my deer and elk hunting will be with a traditional ML. We have a heavy population of cougar in the southwest part of the state where I hunt, so I'll pack a little extra firepower! lol My question is this.....what would be a good round for stopping power in the not to potent 38 sp?

For woods carry I usually use anything from 357 to 45LC loaded hot.  However, if 38 is all you have and cougars are the main concern you should be ok if you can hit your target.  I would use a 158 Gold Dot.  Cougars are thin skinned so penetration should not be a problem so you want expansion.  I remember reading stories in the 60s, when cougar hunting was quite popular, about hunters killing treed cougars with 38s without a problem and that was with plain old lead bullets. It seems as time goes on we need more powerful ammo lol. 

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 09:27:59 AM »
I remember reading stories in the 60s, when cougar hunting was quite popular, about hunters killing treed cougars with 38s without a problem and that was with plain old lead bullets. It seems as time goes on we need more powerful ammo lol. 

Maybe it's all the preservatives they're eatin' these days that make animals tougher than they once were. Pretty soon we're gonna need .300 Win Mags and S&W .500s for squirrel huntin'!

Talked to an old cowboy once who carried a .38 and used it on dangerous steers and other cattle that needed to be put down. When I asked about using something with a bit more power, he said a .38 could do anything he needed a handgun to do — if you knew how to use one.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Castaway

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 12:02:10 PM »
The question is what is the 38 back-up for.  If it's a pack of ferral dogs, a bad man or somthing on that order, the 38 will fill the bill.  Cougars, and things with claws need something with a little more umph as I understand it.  Grizzlies are a different thing altogether.  Saying that, a modern 38 can be loaded quiet potently but not on a steady diet.  If a 38 is what you have and nothing else, and intend it to be something for the trip only, I'd stoke it with a +P load and a hard, 158 grain SWC or Keith bullet.  Look at Unique for close to 1,100 f/s.  Ain't a 357, but if you need it, who cares if it shakes loose a little faster than it should.

Offline handyman06

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 03:00:21 PM »
someone recommended the corbon loads, just a note i bought some for my taurus mdl 85 titanium, about ten out of a box of 25 would not fire the primers just had little dimples on them. the same loads shot fine through my s&w mdl 66. every thing else ive shot through the taurus shot fine. bad primers in the corbons? weak mainspring in the taurus? i don't know just a word of caution.

Offline Frenchy Bodine

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 03:18:47 PM »
For everyday carry, I love 38 spl. I even load it in my 357s, but if I was going in the deep woods, I would be a little nervous. You didn't say what you are carrying for the deer and elk. That might make a difference.
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 05:14:56 PM »
The 38 spl. will be fine. ;)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 12:43:44 AM »
better then a stick!
blue lives matter

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 07:46:16 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas! I believe I did say I would be hunting often with my smoke pole.I know the chance of a cougar or bear attack would be rare, but strange things do happen. I know a 357 or bigger would be a better choice, but the 38 sp is all I have in a side arm,so I bought a box of Cor Bon +P 125 gr JHP's. Thanks again for all the information!!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 07:34:53 AM »
i would get something like the ruger KSP-321XL. Down here it's mostly hog and gator attacks that happen and i know someone who killled a gator that jump on his boat when i was fish with a 357 with 38 FMJ loads. back before all those mags. came out the 357mag kill all kinds of game from deer- walrus and them get up to 4000 pounds.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends