Author Topic: Anyone going to stand up and start?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Daveinthebush

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone going to stand up and start?
« on: September 07, 2006, 05:28:09 PM »
OK guys, some of you asked for this forum and GB gave us the opportunity.  Is anyone going to stand up and make the first offer to our troops?
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Anyone going to stand up and start?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 12:27:12 PM »
Daveinthebush
I just noticed this FORUM tonight!
I think this is a wonderful idea!
As you are aware, from another post, 2 of those troops are my sons!
I don't really have anything to offer (like an outfitter would) other than support and understanding, you see I put 20 years in the Air Force and retired in 1989!

Thanks again;
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline S.S.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »
I send care packages to units of people who I know.
My Nephew and His Wife just enlisted about a month ago
in the Army so I will be sending to them too.
A good way to support our troops is with these kind of care packages.
Don't just send personal (by that, I mean just for them) items to your friends or loved ones,
send things they can share among their unit.
I send very useful things and not frivilous stuff. They love to have things such as
Hot sauce, spices,  spiced salt to liven up meals. Shampoo and conditioner
lotion and personal (Pampering) items. Cards for them to send back home
for birthdays on anniversaries of their friends and loved ones.. Pens, Small notebooks
etc.. I also send books of crossword puzzles and other games. Decks of cards (Card Games)
Once I get the box pretty full, I use hard candy for packing and fill it up !
I think everyone should adopt a Unit and send a nice care package every now and then.
Most people who have not served have no Idea what one of these packages means!!!
Maybe we can post some units and here?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »
If someone wants to get envolved but doesn't no where to begin try your local schools . Schools in my area are collecting items needed by the troops that aren';t issued , they even had some troops come back and visit the scools thanking them for there packages,so give your local school a call and see what they need.  And if your local schools aren't envolved ask them if they would like to be. hear in the city you would be suprised how easy it is to fill up a truck load of items needed once the kids get envolved . Later Tanoose

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »
Good on ya, Dave.  Ya'll may not know but Dave has already taken (what is it now Dave, four) troops, this one included, out on successful Alaskan black bear hunts.

If anyone offers one of these hunts in their state, let us know and you're likely to get assistance buying licenses, tags, etc...

The easiest thing to do is post on a few forums that you'll send magazines.  A troop or two will likely take you up on it.  I send a box or so a month and a USPS flat rate box only runs $8 or so.  The boxes typically make it to the hubs (Kuwait) in 7-10 days and downrange (Baghdad, Mosul, etc...) just a few days later.  I'm here to tell you -- mail is call is soooo much better when you've got mail.

P.S.
Our own ButlerFord45 also hosted a fine Kentucky deer hunt for my son.  It wasn't military-related but nonetheless a danged fine gesture.
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Daveinthebush

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 04:57:50 PM »
Matt:  First thanks for the kind words.  Yes I have taken four soldiers hunting.  I also help them as much as I can over here in Valdez.  I have ferried them, given fishing tips and hunting tips.  Anything helps.

Gift boxes are a really nice thing too.  I remember in Viet Nam how great it was to recieve a care package from home.  Little things do matter to the troops.  What ever we can do helps.  I remember seeing two soldiers filleting pink salmon this fall at the cleaning tables here in town.  Pretty ugly looking fish for a local to eat.  So I just saunter over and plooped down some fresh caught silvers for them. 

Just walking up to a soldier in uniform and extending your hand and saying "thank you", is the easiest thing you could do.

Offline BloomGrad

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 07:11:33 PM »
I have sent two care packages over to the big sandbox.  I was given a name from one of the online adopt web sites.  I wanted a name of a foot soldier that would be doing patrols.  I got a marine in Al Quaim province partolling the border from infiltrators.  Secondary mission was rebuilding hospitals, schools, water treatment, electricity, and roads.. in that order.

I have also talked with a couple of guys that have been over and were going back.  The number one thing to put along in a care box, or the only thing in a care box, is those SMALL INDIVIDUAL drink flavor packets of KOOL-AID, CRYSTAL LIGHT or 4C iced tea.  These they can carry in their side BDU pants pockets and add to the bottled water.  One of the guys said he could not believe the deliveries of bottled water and gatorades that are sent through.  They both told me they get lots of personal care items like soaps and toothpastes.  They have boxes of that stuff.  The two things that get used most and really appreciated are the drink mix packets and moisturizing eye drops like VISENE.  They both STRESSED the drink packets.  send lots and lots

Fly swatters, work gloves, prepaid phone cards, puzzle books were mentioned also.

If you send over a box include a letter to say hello and about whats going on at home, sports page news and current events. 

But there is one thing that my friends and I found out personally and by talking with returnees, that is you most likely WILL NOT GET A RESPONSE FROM A LETTER.  The guys have lots and lots to do during their days with very little personal time.  That personal time is spent sleeping or writing to FAMILY.  Yes they can get letters and cards to read but the time to respond is IMPOSSIBLE by most guys.  20 letters to respond to, if only 10 minutes to write back for each, that equals over three hours of their time sometimes three times a week.  Or more.  I mention this not to be negative just realistic for I do not want a guy writing to me when he could be writing his kids.

God Bless 'Em.     
Just my 2 cents

DAVE

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 05:14:26 PM »
Let me start by telling you who I am. I am PV2 Robert Foster. I am in the Army and I am currently in South Korea. I am a multiple launch rocket systems (mlrs) crewmember. I have not been over to the sandbox yet. I will be going over shortly after I get back from Korea. I think what you are doing is a great thing. It is hard for soldiers to be overseas and away from thier families. Just knowing that there are people out there that you don't even know that care is a feeling that can't be explained. I want to thank everyone for supporting our troops that are deployed all over the world. Thank you.
P.S.: I think this forum should be moved up on the list.

snakeman

Offline Dee

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 05:46:02 PM »
I think what you are doing is a very good thing. My Son, Sgt. Clayton G_____, just got back from Afganistan about 4 months ago, and was almost immediately re-deployed somewhere in Iraq. He is with the 82nd Air Aborne and they are preforming some type of special ops, simular to what they did in Afganistan. He lost friends in Afgansitan and has lost men in Iraq. It's a dangerous job our Son's have. Pray for them as well as help.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 06:06:53 AM »
Started.  Two of us know a buddy with a son in Iraq.  He is a marine.  One of us went to MacDill the other to Costco.  Food, socks, bugs wipes, and face wipes.  Sending.

Offline Daveinthebush

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 08:34:04 AM »
Sounds like a start guys.  Now only if we can expand a little and keep this going.  ;D

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 08:38:19 AM »
It's amazing how a few cans of ranch style beans makes them. The latest craze or craving is yogurt covered rasieins and ranch stlye beans. Protein seems to be hard to come by over there at times.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 04:03:41 AM »
A lot on this board were GIs once.  Remember the care packages.  Takes only a small investment of time and money away from our everyday life. 

I am certain we can find someone that knows of a soldier that is deployed.  Get a group to share the load.  The soldier is carrying our load.

Offline tacshooter

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 01:50:15 AM »
Anybody want to support a sniper team? If so email me here or at     tacshooter@cox.net

Thanks!
NRA Life Member
NRA Practical Pistol Instructor
Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
Proud Father of a Decorated Combat Soldier who fought in Iraq!
PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS IN IRAQ/AFGHANISTAN!

I CAN ONLY HIT WHAT I SEE IN MY CROSSHAIRS.... :sniper:

Offline S.S.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 03:44:06 AM »
This many posts on this forum of people willing to stand up and find out how to support our troops
is truely Pathetic and does not speak very Highly of a lot of the folks who use this website !
Seems that only a few of us even care. Lots of folks seem to enjoy the freedom they have
to do the things discussed in these forums. They just don't seem to give a crap about the men and women who defend those freedoms. This is really sad and disgusting to me. Not even willing to take the time to even type a few words of support much less send a care package !

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline darrell8937

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 04:49:56 PM »
I have done treats for troops and was great. Even got a thank you letter!

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 02:25:20 AM »
I would certainly take exception to that remark Ssumner. My Son Clayton is a Sgt. with the 82nd Airborne. He has seen action in Afganistan and that mistake called Iraq, both in 2006. After 4 days at home, that's right 4 days, he and the rest of the 82nd is back in Bagdad to fight house to house. Myself and my family pray for him and his comrades everyday, and when we send packages, we send more that enough for him to pass around. I don't make a big production of it, but I damm sure support the troops. One of'em is mine! >:(

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 02:06:08 AM »
"They just don't seem to give a crap about the men and women who defend those freedoms."

You got that right.  As a retired Army man i am totally shocked at the lack of support for those fine troops who
are fighting and dying for this country.  i just want to puke.

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 02:28:52 AM »
As I have posted on earlier posts, I have a son in the 82nd Airborne with two previous tours (one in Afganistan, and one in Iraq)  and one on going now in Bagdad. However, I hardly think this thread is a visible sign of lack of support for the troops. When my family sends packages we send a lot. My son says they get so much, they have a BIG box, they throw the extra stuff in so anyone can come by and get what they want out of it. Not everyone makes an OUTWARD show of their sending stuff, but that doesn't mean they don't.jmo

Offline Daveinthebush

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 06:53:35 AM »
Dee:  Best of luck to your sons and our prayers are with them.  You must be proud of them.  Do your sons bow hunt?
Let me know if they do.

Dave

Offline Dee

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
I only have one son in the 82nd. The other was airborne but has been out for several years. The older one bow hunts but, the youngest (the Sgt in the 82nd) is a rifle guy like me.

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
I just got back in Feb if any of you would like to send stuff but dont know anyone to send stuff to check out AnyMarine.com all of the services are represented so you can take your pic. This is a great program and we got lots of much needed stuff from people using this site.
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline Dee

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 01:55:23 AM »
There ya go. See S.sumner, lots of people here support the troops they just don't talk about it. Glad your back Saloon slug.

Offline carbine mike

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 09:39:55 AM »
  Got a son in the army, 1st Cav. in Mosul Iraq. Ive been sending packages using post office flat rate boxes and they work great. Anyone wanting to support but not sure how might try local VFW or American Legion. Local VFW sends several dozen a month that they fill from donations and other means. I think the best we can do is just let the troops know that despite all the politics we still support em. E-mailing seems to be the most popular means of communicating now.  My son went over in November and is hoping to get back to Colo.in time for hunting season but Im not to sure its going to work out. Just pray for them all!!!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 05:22:32 PM »
   Dee is right;

many of us send pkgs and they are often shared just as Dee said..

Dee; I posted my grandson's pics on this forum under  .."Lets see some pics of friends & family."..

Have a look and maybe you would like to post some pics....

...ironglow
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 12:37:14 PM »
Its also a good project for a scout troop to go door to door in businesses and solicit material to send.  Some business's won't participate, but a great many will.  Its worked here anyway.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
Hello everyone,
  I have been a member here on GBO for a while and have just discovered this section.  I was apart of the initial invasion into Iraq in 2003 with the 101st Airborne (Air Assault) Division as an infantry medic. I stayed really busy that year.  :'(  This year I deployed back here to the Middle East, with a new mission, aeromedical evacuation training. I am traveling constantly between about 5 different countries with most my work in Afg and Iraq. I am very proud to be serving and love being a medic. I get so much gratification from this job. One of my most emotional experiences was seeing a soldier back at Ft. Campbell that was severly wounded months before. I knew that I had a large part in saving his life and the two of us have a lifetime bond now. Thanks for the wonderful support all of you have for our fighting men and women of the US Armed Forces.

Daveinthebush,
   I am fortunate to have many options in where I could be stationed as a medic. Alaska is at the top of my "Wish List."  My wife has some reservations about being so far from our families in IL and IN. I just think that if she was to see the state that she would probably change her mind. Wish me luck in convincing her. I would love the scenery myself, the hunting and fishing opportunities that are abound there just being an added bonus.  BTW, will I have enough gun if I bring a .35 Whelen or should I leave it behind and just bring my bow?

My family has a some hunting land in S. IN if anyone is interested in Turkey hunting. I should be home next spring for the season. PM me.

Thanks, Dinny(from Iraq)
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine