Author Topic: What tips would you give a new (but sorta old) hunter?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Notactingmyage

• Trade Count: (0)
What tips would you give a new (but sorta old) hunter?
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:30:52 PM »
I have never hunted anything in my life (now 58 years old), but intend to go deer hunting for the first time this fall.  I'll be with an experienced hunter friend on private land in northern Missouri. We'll be in tree stands he has previously set up in mixed wooded to somewhat open fields.  There is a rule in effect in that area that bucks with less than 4 distinct points on one side of the rack are illegal.  I'll be using a Remington Woodmaster 742 30-06 with Redfield scope given to me by a brother-in-law.  I've had the gun to a range twice in the last couple months and put about 50 rounds through it.  Drawing on my military training from the dark ages (late 1960's), I've been able to average about 4 out of 8 shots into a 3 inch diameter circle at 100 yards, with the remainder inside a 6 inch diameter, shooting from a picnic table type bench with only my elbows for support, using Winchester Super X SPRG 30-06 150 grain cartridges.   

My questions:  How well prepared am I for the hunt?  In other words, how different will the real world be than my experience at the range?  I have never been in a tree stand.  I have 20/20 eyesight uncorrected, yet am concerned about the need to identify the legality of a buck before firing.  Will I need binoculars as well as the scope?  What is my complete inexperience causing me to overlook as I focus mostly on the marksmanship aspect of this?  What tips would you give to improve my chances of treating the family to some venison at Thanksgiving? 

Thanks!!             

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: What tips would you give a new (but sorta old) hunter?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 01:52:05 PM »
You're TOTALLY unprepared for the experience, but don't worry about it you'll pick it up. Just don't expect to be an expert right away.

Get GOOD binoculars. Don't use your rifle scope as a replacement and don't depend on your unaided vision.

Get a GOOD safety harness and use it. Falls KILL and maim, don't let it happen to you. I'm 61 and have stopped going up in trees PERIOD. Ain't happening again. I fall down and have almost come out of the tree last time I went up and ain't going up again. I don't know what kinda treestand you'll be using but unless it's a ladder I suggest you practice using it and using a full harness safety system at ground level long before you climb a tree. Otherwise stay out of the trees at your age.

Shooting from a stand is much different than at the range. If your stand has a shooting rail it might be nearly as easy tho. If not it can be nearly as bad as free hand shooting. The stand determines it.

If you have specific questions ask, we'll try to help.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 02:42:55 PM »
I agree with everything Graybeard said.Aways use a safety harness,too many hunters don't and it only takes one fall to kill or mess you up for life.Just not worth the risk.As far as the shooting,keep practicing you will get better and better.Good luck
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 02:59:54 PM »
As numerous folks find out every year, there is a world of difference between shooting from a bench under "no load" conditions and shooting from a field position with your heart doing a tap dance in your throat.  Practice with your rifle (dry firing and live) until its operation and where the whistles and bells are is automatic. Practice mounting your rifle until your eye/scope alignment is automatic without having to hunt around.  Practice firing (dry firing if neccessary) from any field position you might encounter. 

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 03:01:17 AM »
Relax.  Have fun.  Be safe.  Avoid any hurried shots, trick shots, or shot at a moving target.  Wait for a good old broadside shot if at all possible.  Also, you can usually stop a deer with a grunt, whistle, or even "HEY", just be ready to fire.  Take your time getting into and out of your treestand, and see if you can go in and out before the hunt, that way you'll know what to expect out of that individual stand at 4am on opening day.  Also, if you get a chance to practice, have your friend show you the trails while you are in the stand so you can work our some shooting lanes.  When the deer arrive, avoid any movement if they are alert (standing still with head up) if you can see their eyes.  Try to wait for them to be moving, or better yet feeding, with their head down.

Once again, relax, have fun, be safe.

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline Charlie Tango

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 02:36:29 PM »
don't get caught up in the kill, enjoy the hunt and the outdoors with your friends.  The kill will come and add the icing to the already delicious cake.  Also safety safety safety.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 03:24:35 AM »
I'm your age, and I still remember the first advice my Dad gave me 50 years ago up in the Hudson Valley. "You can't fool a deer's nose". I also decided no more tree stands. I love to work out, and didn't want a careless misstep to take that away. Time in the woods, is your best education... Have fun!!!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 03:43:43 AM »
If you can, try target shooting from a tree stand similar to the one you plan on using and wearing the very hunting gear for the day of the hunt. This will make you familiar and more at ease on hunting opener. It has worked for me. I am in my 50's and still hunt from tree stands, but at a slower and more cautious pace. I hunt from a climber stand, strap on stand, portable ladder stand and a ground tent blind. I did fall once, when I was in my 20's, a belly flop on top of my rifle. I learned from that experience. Years of climbing telephone pole and power poles has worked in my favor by eliminating my fear of heights along with a good sense of balance.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Notactingmyage

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 07:34:30 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, guys.  They're all very thought provoking and helpful.   

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Seven (7) Tips from another "Old Guy"
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 04:33:03 PM »
You will find a lot of us here are "your age".  I suggest:

1.)  ALWAYS USE A STEADY REST.  There is way too much testerone in off-hand shooting.  It sucks to miss.  It sucks worse to maim and lose the wildlife.  Take at least a monopod up the tree and use it.

2.)  Use a rope to transfer your gear into the tree stand AFTER YOU HARNESS YOURSELF SAFELY IN.  Use both hands (and feet) for climbing.  Your gear will follow you up when you are ready.  Take your time.  You want to live to hunt a lot longer.

3.)  SLOWLY turn your head from side to side to scan the woods for wildlife with ONLY your head and eyes - keeping the rest of your body stone cold still and STOP SCANNING REGULARLY to give your peipheral vision a chance to detect motion.  Gaze out as if into a void.  Let your more aware senses detect motion.  Peripheral vision is also relaxing.  You may spend a lot of time on stand seeing only the woods around you.  You may see deer immediately.  Regardless, prepare to be there ALL DAY; and as you will have no where else to go, scan slowly and I mean REALLY SLOWLY.  If you jerk, flinch, scratch, cough, wiggle, sneeze, sniffle, or move in one of a million eratic ways while on stand, the wildlife will see and avoid you.  Learning to sit still is exhausting and not easy to do, but it is rewarding.

4.)  TAKE A PEE BOTTLE with you (its an "Old Guy" thing).  Stop, stand, and stretch once in a while.  It's OK.  You may even see a deer when the "wrong gun" is in hand.  We've all done that.  But you won't have to get down.  Never pee where you or others want to hunt.

5.)  ENJOY THE MOMENT.  There will never be another like it whether you kill a deer or not.  How many time have you just sat in one place FOR HOUR UPON HOUR UPON HOUR and enjoyed the passing of time?  Not too many I'll bet.  Don't RUSH the moment.  Sense the stars - the cool crisp night air - the flush of additional coldness as the morning sun peeks over the horizen - the chill up your spine as your body warmth is diminished in its attempt to theromdynamically heat the surrounding atmosphere - the first bird singing - a crunch in the leaf litter to your left - the stiffening of your senses to alertness - the desire, but not the reaction, to turn your head with a jerk to look (if you do the jerk the jig is up) - agonizingly slowly (like molasses) turning only your head in the direction of the sound and stopping when the preception is found that the deer is standing there LOOKING DIRECTLY AT YOU - the visual recognition of a good buck standing "statue still" searching for danger - waiting while your heart pounds in your ears, the adrenaline rises in your veins, your breathing shallows and becomes labored - you begin to sweat in the frozen air before seeing the deer relax to forage for a cormb - you fight your rising adrenaline and anxious desire to jerk up your rifle and take aim - instead you watch and when it "feels right" you SLOWLY raise your rifle into a steady rest being ever ready to stop in mid-air and HOLD YOUR POSITION FOR WHAT WILL SEEM LIKE AN ETERNITY if the deer snaps its head up and looks in your direction - when all is right you will take aim without the deer being the wiser - and squeeze the trigger. 

6.)  AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.

7.)  After the shot, the fun is OVER and the WORK begins. ;)

Our modern senses, modern routines, adherence to modern schedules, and the inner voice in each of our heads want to dictate what we and the wildlife should do.  Forget that.  They are on their own time, their own wandering walk through life, and you can bet their agenda includes safety.  It's their yard.  They know it better than you or me.  They are in it 24 hours a day/7 days a week/52 weeks a year.  Us?  If we're very lucky 2.5% to 7.5% of a year (15-30 days or parts thereof in daylight only).

Good luck.  Hunt Hard - but really really slowly.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 03:44:22 AM »
Let your friend be your principle guide.  Other things you may think about.

1.  While sitting on your stand, when you move, move slowly.  Turn your head slowly and smoothly.  If you have an itch, raise your hand slowly to your nose to itch.  If possible, wear a camoflage head net and camoflage gloves.  As our heads turn or our hands move, your skin may cause a "flashing" effect easily visible to deer . . . this flashing effect is dispelled by the head net and gloves.  Wear the clothes needed to remain comfortable.  If it is cold, make sure your boots will keep your feet warm.  Some people take sleeping bags and place the whole lower half of their bodies, including their feet, in the sleeping bag to keep warm.  Remember that you will be sitting still for hours, so the weather will appear colder than if you are walking about.  If you are cold you will fidget around and not remain still.

2.  Take what you need with you to remain on stand for a long time.  Take a water or other drink bottle.  Take snack food (I like granola with trail mix blended in as well as some M&M cholocates, but to each their own).  Take toilet paper.

3.  Know about how to care for your deer once it is down, unless your friend has signed on for field dressing duties.  You or your friend should field dress your deer (open the body cavity and remove the guts) promptly after your kill to assist rapid cool down of your deer to preserve the meat.  Also, have a plan in advance of how to care for the meat -- will you take it to a processor or butcher it yourself?

4.  Know where you want to hit a deer.  You want your bullet to do as much damage as possible to the "vitals" -- the heart and lungs -- of your deer.  A good shot that damages the heart and/or one or more lungs is going to kill a deer fairly quickly; a severe wound elsewhere, such as in the stomach or the rear legs, may kill over an extended period of time but may allow the deer to escape and die where you can't find it.  Ask your friend to show you on several pictures of deer where you want to target your shot.  The desired aimpoint changes depending upon the position of the deer relative to you when you shoot.  The deer may stand broadside, head-on, quartering towards, quatering away, or other orientation.

5.  Be careful.  Confirm your target before you shoot.  Don't shoot at motion alone.  Wear your hunter orange.  MOST ESPECIALLY . . . be careful in your use of your stand.  People fall out of stands and are killed.  You should have a safety harness in case you fall out of the stand . . . AND YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO USE THE HARNESS PROPERLY!!!  People get killed by their safety harnesses when they are not used properly.  It is very easy to fall asleep in a deer stand -- you are snug and coozy in your warm clothes, you are deliberately motionless, there may be little going on, you are relaxed, your are not 15 years old.  So, falling asleep and falling out of the stand is not as improbable an event as it may seem to a first time hunter.

6.  I'm also going to add some stuff that is probably a little irrelevant, because your friend has probably figured out the hunting ground and placed the stands where they need to have the best chance to bag a deer.  But this information may add some pleasure and knowledge to your hunt.  Deer are a prey species: other animals eat deer, deer eat vegetables.  As such, deer are very cautious.  They like to hide out during daylight hours.  More specifically, deer eat at the start of the day and at the end of the day and then lay on "beds" during the middle of the day when they doze and chew their cud.  Hunting deer from a stand or a ground blind typically involves setting up along a path between bedding areas and eating areas.  Because deer are cautious prey species, they prefer to travel paths where they are as secluded as possible.  At the same time, deer are lazy and want to take the path of least resistance.  Thus, expect deer to move alone convenient paths which simultaneously offer a good sense of security.  Don't expect to see them walking across an open field.  Expect to see them along the edge between an open field and thick timber.  Expect to see them walk through a trough or depression that limits how far away they can be seen rather than across that open field.  Deer have very good noses, so it is best not to hunt them from a position where your scent will be carried to them by steady breezes.  Your friend will probably direct you to specific stand locations depending upon the wind on each particular day.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
Ease up alsatian.  We don't want to tell him everything all at once.  Let him figure out a few things on his own.  Maybe even make him come back again for Lesson 2.    ;D

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 04:45:28 AM »
Don't move if a squirrel runs up your pants leg.  You are permitted to quietly say, "shoo, shoo" if he comes back for another nut.  You still can't move however.   ;D

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 07:14:47 AM »
Don't move if a squirrel runs up your pants leg.  You are permitted to quietly say, "shoo, shoo" if he comes back for another nut.  You still can't move however.   ;D

Bury your nut's in the ground and make the squirrel work for them. They are presistent little begger's! ;D
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 07:16:34 AM »

Bury your nut's in the ground and make him work for them. They are persistent little bugger's! ;D
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]