Author Topic: new Wal-Mart issue...  (Read 2263 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
new Wal-Mart issue...
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:18:06 AM »
walmart is now discontinuing the layaway program. november 19 is the last day you can put anything on layaway. this is no big deal to some of us, but that's how you order guns from their supplier...you have to use layaway...

makes me wonder if they will do away with the special order program too?

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline buckmaster_kp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: new Wal-Mart issue...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:53:24 AM »
Holy crap, are you serious? I've special ordered a number of guns through wally world. Man. what a bummer.  :o

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:36:51 AM »
 One door closes and another door opens.
    I`ve got a brand new Gander Mountain opening the end of this month and they
    say they have a "lay-away" program.
   My local Wal-Mart gave up handling guns awhile back so the GM thing looks good.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 03:40:43 PM »
Savage;
  Although I don't like the idea of any of the Wally World stores dropping guns, you won't be hurt much with Gander Mountain around.
   I go to a GM that is about 40 miles away. I've bought guns at GM and Walmart...looking them over..I would say that GM is very competetive in price.
  ..Then, with the number of guns they carry, it's more likely they will have something you want IN STOCK..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 10:04:45 PM »
Most Stores stop the Lay Away program in either October or November.  It happens every year.  And every year it coes back some time after Christmas.

What that does is stop you from taking advantage of the deep discounts just prior to Christmas, since price reductions can be taken from the items on Lay Away.   

They know what they are doing.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:38:33 AM »
I'm wondering will GM's prices still be competitive once Wally-World stops selling guns?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 04:13:46 AM »
no, they said wal-mart was getting away from layaway because the store is going in a more "Target-like" direction, getting away from what they called the "little Ozark" mindset.

kind of a nice way of saying "we don't want white trash in our store" when i read it again. they mentioned how much the average person makes who shops at walmart as opposed to Target, etc...

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 07:42:09 AM »
Savage;
  Although I don't like the idea of any of the Wally World stores dropping guns, you won't be hurt much with Gander Mountain around.
   I go to a GM that is about 40 miles away. I've bought guns at GM and Walmart...looking them over..I would say that GM is very competetive in price.
  ..Then, with the number of guns they carry, it's more likely they will have something you want IN STOCK..

This will be a first for me as far as Gander Mountain is concerned.
     I believe this will be their first store in Fl............I think. Certainly in the central Fla
      area.
     The only large sporting goods store close by is a Bass Pro Shop and that`s a 75 mile
      round trip.
     I`m hoping GM has the same stuff as BP (as far as inventory goes) then i can skip BP
     altogether and do my buying at GM and just travel 20 miles trip.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »
Savage;
  I only visited one BP. That was when i was travelling..the BP store being just north of Northbrook, Il.

Judging by that one, BP has elaborate and beautiful displays...but their prices, at least on guns and ammpo seemed to be full retail..
  I think that once you try GM..you may forget about BP..

..Just my $.02

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline NYH1

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 06:23:47 PM »
Gander Mountain's prices are OUTRAGIOUS compared to Wal Mart. In late 2004 I was in the market for a Remington 11-87 Premier 20 ga. Wal Mart wanted $599.99, Dick's wanted $619.99 Gander Mountain wanted $699.99 same as Bass Pro Shop. I just bought some Winchester USA 55 gr. hollow points for my 223 rem. at Wal Mart for $14.99 (50 rds). Gander Mountain had the same thing for $16.99.

Gander Mountain is a double edged sword. They have a HUGE inventory..........but they're expensive. When they opened their store here in Central New York they started with 1600 long guns and 75 hand guns............that's a lot of guns.

Wal Mart doing away with layaway sucks. Some people use it a lot and for different reasons.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »
no, they said wal-mart was getting away from layaway because the store is going in a more "Target-like" direction, getting away from what they called the "little Ozark" mindset.

kind of a nice way of saying "we don't want white trash in our store" when i read it again. they mentioned how much the average person makes who shops at walmart as opposed to Target, etc...

-Matt

Matt, who refered to this as a "little ozark" mindset? I would like to know because the "little ozark" mindset
was the "mindset" of the founders of this company. It blows me away how some stooge that works for them now thinks he is the big shot, a member of royality who now needs to work for them. I am not
impressed.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline powderman

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 04:29:02 PM »
I work for walmart and we discussed this at todays meeting. They are pushing their new credit card and dropping the layaway after Dec 8th. I told them that to me, as a consumer, that the message I hear is that, if you can't afford to pay cash, we don't want your business. I'll ask about the guns ordered deal. POWDERMAN.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 05:27:14 PM »
I just picked up my NEF combo earlier today. Spoke @ great links with the manager. He told me it is true but that I would still be able to special order guns for now. He says it probably wont be long before no guns @ all. He was telling me about how much of a hassle lay away was and how it seemed to cost more in labor than it made it profit.

He was a lil ignorant about the NEF and said it looks like they are tryin to catch up to "TC". I laughed and told him they have been doing it longer.

Funny thing: When I swiped the card to pay it asked if I wanted to apply for credit. Didnt think about that until I read this post.

...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 05:43:26 PM »
Pills, that is a point, they want people to just use a Walmart card, & then they would not need layaway, but some people try not to use credit cards. I see Walmart point by point becoming LESS
customer friendly & the point will come where some folks will back off. For me, when the local WM drops guns is the same day I drop them, but different things trigger different people.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline powderman

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 04:29:09 PM »
The sporting goods mgr said today that it's still not decided if dropping layaway will halt special order guns, she also said that she was told that within a year our store would no longer be selling ANY guns. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »
If I were  you powderman, I would get a job at Bass Proshop, Cabela's, or Gander Mountain. That would be like smearing manure in their faces.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline countryroads

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 03:52:05 PM »
I talked with one of the guys in the sporting goods department at Wal-Mart today.  He says that layaway is definitely going to be history in November.  I asked if Wal-Mart was still going to sell long guns, and he said that they were, but you had to special order the gun and pay in full when the gun arrived.

Offline USMC0332

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 04:38:06 AM »
The only reason I frequent Wal-Mart is that they sell guns, ammo and hunting/fishing stuff. I do not frequent Target as they do not offer these items. If Wal-Mart quits selling this stuff I will be done with them also. I used to work at Wal-Mart, but I had to find work that paid me better for my time, even if I did have a good time working there.

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 05:21:48 AM »
It sounds like Walmart is cutting their throat. First the firearm sales, now the lay away issue. Rome was once a large empire also, but indeed it did fall.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 02:57:43 AM »
Well, just my 2 cents worth on this subject. I've been in the firearms business for over 20 years. I've got a Walmart store less than 2 miles away. Never bought a gun there, never will. I've always figure that the local shop, or dealer at a gun show needed the business. Even if the gun was an extra $20-$30, the local gun shop always seem to donate to our gun club, or promote the gun industry alot better than Walmart. I wish that Walmart get out of the gun stuff all together. Leave it to the professionals. Never had a Walmart, or Gander Mt.employee, help me run a shooting match, or teach the local Boy Scout troop firearm safety. Just my take on the matter.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Brett

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 01:39:37 PM »
gypsyman I wish I had the money where an extra $20 or $30 on a purchase didn't make a difference but unfortunately it makes a big difference. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »
I've got a Walmart store less than 2 miles away. Never bought a gun there, never will.  Never had a Walmart, or Gander Mt.employee, help me run a shooting match, or teach the local Boy Scout troop firearm safety. Just my take on the matter.

Have to agree with gypsyman.I know from firsthand experience.Had a gunshop 2 miles away for many years,and two other gunshops within 15 miles,Walmart builds two supercenters in past 5 years with another planed to open in next year plus already had one walmart before those within 30 miles,so now will have four within a 25 mile area.Guess what,all three gunshops are gone,plus a couple hardware stores and bet there will be more to go.Yeah boy but gee I will save a whole $20-$30 on a gun woo hoo.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 02:46:54 PM »
I have a good friend who sells used cars. He buys cheap and sells with very little markup. He sells on average 4 cars a week @ around 5 hundred profit each. I saw a car on another lot that was identical to one he had and the price was around 1500 higher. I asked him what the difference was and he said the other lot is content to let their cars sit to make more on one sale.

You say what the heck does this have to do with the topic at hand. I don't know about where you guys live but the local gun/pawnshops around here want to make their weeks salary off of one gun. Sorry but my loyalty stops @ the pocket book. For instance a local shop has a 7.62 handi that is priced @ 275 without a scope. You could tell this thing had been shot and the stock was dinged. The guy even tried to throw in a box of mil surp ammo to make it more valuable to me.

I use as many internet forums as possible and tons of research before I make any major purchase. To me a 200 dollar gun falls in this category.

With that being said I think walmart could do alot different and better but I think in a system like we have you have to find a way to compete or you get lost in the process.

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 03:35:03 PM »

You say what the heck does this have to do with the topic at hand. I don't know about where you guys live but the local gun/pawnshops around here want to make their weeks salary off of one gun. Sorry but my loyalty stops @ the pocket book. 

Don't know if its happened where you live,but after the gunshops closed here,guess what there prices on powder and bullets went up and are now higher than the greedy gunshops charged!And I went to get primers,forget it,saw fed and cci so ask the nice clerk where the remington primers were,he pointed to primers and said there are the primers,after a couple more rounds of this I told him to forget it I will go buy them elesewhere.

With that being said I think walmart could do alot different and better but I think in a system like we have you have to find a way to compete or you get lost in the process.

So yes they could do better,but then why?After all they are now the big dog and think they don't have to.I'm not saying I'm anti walmart,but me thinks they are getting to big for there britches.

If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 06:35:17 AM »
First of all,  you included your reply in the quote as if it was part of what I said. Please be a little more careful next time.

I have not experienced this at our local walmart. They are about 5 bucks a box cheaper than their closest competitor. There are a couple of clerks in our store that know their stuff. Got to get there before 5 or so to catch them. Some stuff they stock some they dont. The old guys can tell ya where to find it if they dont have it.

Matt

Offline cynrays

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 07:29:19 AM »
Here i;n Texarkana Gander Mountain will match any item's price at Wal Mart, no questions asked and will also match Bass Pro Shop's price. Just tell them what  Wal Mart charges...

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 07:56:19 AM »
That is how it should work.

Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 07:59:38 AM »
Matt,

We have 3 Walmarts here, they all still sell firearms, they have no knowledge of any cut back in firearms sales other than those that already took place in stores that had poor firearm sales. In fact, one of the stores was just built and it too sells firearms! I checked the closest store last weekend, they are doing away with the layaway program, but it will have no effect on special ordering firearms, 50% is still required down on the purchase just as it always has been. If the ordering clerk is knowledgeable, they will check inventory at their supplier, Sports South, before they process the order, those clerks that are somewhat ignorant of the process, don't always check inventory and can lead to long waits. I've only bought one firearm from them, they said it would be 7-10 days before it came in, it arrived in 7.

Hope this helps,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nyhunter863

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 08:06:58 AM »
I agree with Pills and others who find it unacceptable to pay more for a gun or anything else in a small shop when you could buy it at a large store like WalMart, etc, for a whole lot less.  I also find that the typical small gun shop will charge way MORE than $20 or $30 on a gun over WalMarts price.  It is closer to $100 or more from what I have seen.  I got to tell you that I have NOT experienced this expertise that some claim that small gun shop have.  In many cases I have found them to be just as ignorant as any Wal Mart employee.  They seem to be experts in their own minds from what I have seen.  This isn't to say that there might not be some very knowledgable people working in some small establishments, but generally they are few and far in between.  I think in general the gun purchaser needs to do his homework before entering any store to buy a gun and rely little on what the salesman is telling him.

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 08:21:49 AM »
One of the smaller walmarts in a smaller town shipped all of their firearms to a larger store yesterday. They are keeping muzzleloaders and ammo for now. They blame it on slow sales.

Matt