Author Topic: Your vicious recoil award?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Your vicious recoil award?
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:50:10 AM »
To what handgun and load combination do you award your "most vicious recoil" award?

Mine goes to a stock 10" barrelled T/C old-style Contender witht the factory wooden grip and forearm. The rubber insert on the backstrap ripped the skin off the web of my hand. That was with 240 grain bullets, and iron sights.

Most vicious recoil in a long gun goes to an old Browning A5 automatic that I fired with a rifled slug. Mama mia! What a jarring recoil that was! I later learned that the recoil operation of that action effectively lightens the weight of the gun during recoil and makes the recoil more severe.

Most delightful surpise was from a 9 pound 375H&H magnum. Not bad at all! Not much more perceived recoil than a .270 (to me.)

If you've fired a heavy rifle, like a .458 Winchester, what was that experience like?
Safety first

Offline D.C.

• Avid Poster
Re: Your vicious recoil award?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:49:49 AM »
For me i am giveing it to that contender with the 10" barel in JDJ 375, I think.It was slipped to me wilst I was unaware. IT is a real eye opener, if you think you are holden a lesser caliber.      D.C.

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:43:10 AM »
I have a PC500 Hunter. With full power the recoil is pretty good, but it isn't as nasty as my 12 oz. S&W Model 360 in .357 with full power ammo. That is snappier than the .500 S&W.
In long guns, firing slugs in a Remington Model 11 when the drag rings weren't working properly. It felt like my brain was being rocked on the stem. The same gun with the drag rings working properly is actually very pleasant.
Tom

Offline TCBrian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 11:54:17 AM »
I have shot 458 win mags and they kick really hard, but are managable. My G2 contender carbine in 375 JDJ with full power loads kicks harder than I thought it would, but also is managable. Magnum turkey loads from my browning BPS are very stout, luckily you don't shoot many of them. My 7lb 30-06 bolt gun with a limbsaver on it is very light on recoil compared to any of them. I have shot rifled slugs in some shotguns too, but I think some of the turkey loads kick harder.

Handguns. My 10" octogon 357 mag barrel with buffalo bore 180 grain loads is a bruiser. It kicks harder than any 44 mag I have shot and even worse than the 500 S&W in the smith gun. I think that porting the smith has is amazing at reducing recoil and makes the big 500 very comfortable to shoot, at least for me.

Good shooting,
Brian

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »
If you ever find one of them 12 ga. derringers, Questor, you be sure and give us a "recoil report"!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 02:04:04 PM »
worst i ever shot was my buddy ALs bond derringer with 300s and 22 grains of 110 (44mag) Second would be kelly brosts tc encore in 458 lott third would be any one of the 500 linebaugh maxes ive shot.
blue lives matter

Offline handyman06

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 02:20:50 PM »
a.d.c. 44 mag derringer and franchi mdl 48 with friction ring missing. those are the worst two ive come up against so far.

Offline sidekick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 02:32:32 PM »
3" Turkey Loads in my Browning BPS when sighting in the Scope I have mounted. Squeezing the trigger on a turkey target is a real eye opener.  I placed a small thin sandbag between the so-called recoil pad and my shoulder, and sighting in was then not unpleasant. Funny, when I shoot a turkey, I hardly even notice the recoil. Mind over matter, I guess.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »
Had a friendly old guy who is a gunsmith (and builds a few custom rifles) hand me a .416 Rem one day and tell me to go rabbit hunting (hey, the season WAS open..).  He wanted some test rounds and some used brass.  That kicked pretty good, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I still think the worst so far for me is 12 gauge slugs and heavy turkey loads.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 09:56:19 AM »
My 15" Encore 460 S&W.......by far!

Offline bigdoggy

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 02:17:07 PM »
I have 2 handguns. I shot a 460 weatherby 12" encore with the older hotter full factory loads. The first shot made the barrel blow off and land about 30' in front of me. I got a broken wrist and severed the ligiment on my trigger finger. I had the gun fixed with heavier welds, and shot it twice more. The gun stayed together , but still kicked like an angry mule. It got 2880 ft/sec for 4835 ft. lbs of energy with a 500 grain bullet. It is now retired in my gun safe. It is the absolute worst recoil I have ever dealt with over the last 25 years of shooting. The other gun that is really bad is a American Arms 15 oz. derringer loaded with hot full house corbon loads in 44 mag. It snaps back really fast and you can only get 2 fingers on the grip because it is so little. You really have to hold on tight so it does not come out of your hands. It is about twice as bad as 357 mag  s&w 12 oz model 340 scandium and titanium revolver with hot 125 grain loads.

Offline bigdoggy

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 02:21:41 PM »
In a rifle, I would say my  585 wells magnum. It launches a 750 grain bullet at 2500 ft/sec. for about 10,400 ft.lbs of energy. It has a recoil of about 155 ft. lbs. I have a 600 overkill, but the ammo is not here yet.

Offline bigdoggy

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 02:25:49 PM »
The derringer in 44 mag was an American Derringer Corp. not made by american arms, as I stated earlier. sorry about the mix up.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 03:14:43 PM »
I saw a film of a guy shooting his new T/C in 600 Nitro Express.  The pistol on the first shot flew out of the persons grasp, to the concrete about ten feet behind him.  I would have to say that this T/C was a real kicker.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 03:53:09 PM »
ouch a 460!! after shooting kellys 458 lott i cant imagine what that one felt like!
I have 2 handguns. I shot a 460 weatherby 12" encore with the older hotter full factory loads. The first shot made the barrel blow off and land about 30' in front of me. I got a broken wrist and severed the ligiment on my trigger finger. I had the gun fixed with heavier welds, and shot it twice more. The gun stayed together , but still kicked like an angry mule. It got 2880 ft/sec for 4835 ft. lbs of energy with a 500 grain bullet. It is now retired in my gun safe. It is the absolute worst recoil I have ever dealt with over the last 25 years of shooting. The other gun that is really bad is a American Arms 15 oz. derringer loaded with hot full house corbon loads in 44 mag. It snaps back really fast and you can only get 2 fingers on the grip because it is so little. You really have to hold on tight so it does not come out of your hands. It is about twice as bad as 357 mag  s&w 12 oz model 340 scandium and titanium revolver with hot 125 grain loads.
blue lives matter

Offline bigdoggy

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 05:29:20 PM »
crowfeather,

I saw that 600 nitro pistol video also. He was using a reduced 600 nitro load that came out to about 3600 ft. lbs. His gun also weighed 7 1/2 lbs where my 460 weatherby 12" only weighs 4 1/2 lbs. The video of the fat guy shooting the 600 is not the owner, but the local range instructor, that thought he would try it out. The 600 nitro pistol belongs to a guy in Araura Ill. The 460 is mine, and I live in southern Ill. The guy in the video looks to me like he has one hand under the forearm when he shoots it. CRAZY to have only one hand on the grip.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »
I can't complain about my handguns, but the Encore is kinda snappy with heavy handloads in 30-06. For long guns hands down is a buddy's very light single shot H&R 12 ga, with a Schnabel forearm (the kind that has nothing to hold on to) with 3 1/2 inch turkey loads. I won't shoot that shotgun any more.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »
The hardest kicking handgun I've ever shot was a friends Lone Eagle in 444 marlin. That thing felt like a cannon going off! :o

I've shot a lot of hard kicking rifles/shotguns. I guess an old single shot break action 10 guage with 3.5" magnum goose loads was probably about as bad as I've felt. The thing couldn't have weighed more than 6lbs, and felt like somebody hit my shoulder with a sledge hammer.

Offline .44splx2

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 12:49:46 AM »
I was told that the T/C Contenders and Encores were especially bad because of the design-
The barrel/action being so much higher above the hand?
We must pass along/encourage hunting, shooting, the outdoors etcetera. 

Offline zipperzap

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 07:58:55 AM »

I'd guess, one of these ~ Caliber  .600 Nitro Magnum

I want one!!! 8)

http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/cms/html/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=15
“A man is but the product of his thoughts ...
if he thinks - he is.”

Offline Questor

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 09:39:04 AM »
Keep in mind that plinkers and economy-minded shooters will be interested in the .458 magnum version of the Pfiefer revolver.

(You've really got to see someone holding that cannon to appreciate how big it is.)
Safety first

Offline bigdoggy

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 04:54:05 PM »
That 600 nitro revolver weighs 12 1/2 lbs and costs 18000 us dollars. also a year and a half wait.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 06:47:18 PM »
I vote for my Astra 2" snub nose 44 Magnum revolver, aka the Terminator.  The muzzle rise and flash is something to behold!

When I comes to long guns, my Winchester Model 70 in 338 Win Mag is pretty intense and as intense as I want to get. 

Offline RLB

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 02:19:55 PM »
My worst was a ruger single shot in .460 weatherby....I hurt for two days over that..of course I knew nothing about weatherby..I still hate that man

RLB....

Offline Special Ed

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 03:49:36 AM »
The worst recoil was a Mossberg pump in 3 1/2, 12 gauge. No thanks.
Most suprising is a tie. Winchester model 70, 338 mag with a boss compensator. Loud as heck, but very managable recoil. The other would be a Remington sp10. More like a medium push than anything else.

Ed

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 07:41:49 AM »
my old ruger Super Redhawk with 454 Buffalo Bore Pistol Ammunition or some of the hot load the gun store use to load. Just thinkig about it makes my hands feel that pain. I use to fire about 15 rounds of full power 454 to get use to the recoil.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline zipperzap

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 06:36:49 PM »
Revolver: My S&W 4" .500 / maxireloads

Rifle: Marlin Guide GS / maxireloads
 8)
“A man is but the product of his thoughts ...
if he thinks - he is.”

Offline VSSF

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 04:24:06 PM »
The worst pistol is my brothers 329PD,worse than my 500 or 454.

This is my 454 Raging Bull.

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 01:28:33 PM »
shotgun - mossburg 835 3-1/2 heavy shot turkey load
handgun - contender with 14' 358-JDJ 210-gr
rifle, doesn't sound like much but savage lightweight model 11 in 300 WSM 180-gr, brutally sharp recoil
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline S.S.

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 05:43:00 AM »
I do not even know what caliber the thing was, But it was a Double barrel
handgun that was used for Hunting Tigers in India in the late 1800's
Shells were about the size of a roll of nickels. If the Bullet missed, the
ball of fire that came out the end of that thing was sure to roast
anything close to it. I still can't bend my right thumb properly,
Doctor said he could fix the damage with surgery...(No Thanks)
Guy At the range called it a Howdah...
Like Howdah $*&^ are you supposed to hang on to it when you pull the trigger  ;D!!!
That is a brute of a handgun that I have never encountered it's equal..
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".