Author Topic: Gander Mountain.......Your opinions please.  (Read 958 times)

Offline Savage .250

• Trade Count: (0)
Gander Mountain.......Your opinions please.
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:55:55 AM »
  Guys, My area is getting a new Gander Mountain store and it will be their first
   venture into the state of Florida. Alot of you guys have GM stores in your area and
   i`m sure have bought stuff from them so i`m looking for some imput as to what to expect.
    There is a Bass Pro Shop on the west side of Orlando, that being said, how does
    GM stack up with them ?  Inventory, big hunting- fishing area`s, etc.
    Any details you can add will be helpful as the Grand Opening is Oct 6th.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline mparks

• Mick's outdoor page
Re: Gander Mountain.......Your opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:34:57 AM »
We have Gander, BPS, and Cabelas in Michigan.  Gander is not in the same class as Bass Pro and Cabela's IMO.  It is a lot smaller than the other two.  I've had pretty good luck at Gander Mountain on prices for common stuff.  Decent inventory.  I like their Guide Series brand for clothing and stuff.  Over all, I feel pretty lucky to have one within a short drive.  I drive past BPS going to work and I seldom stop there for somthing that Gander doesn't have.  Then again, I have a smaller gun shop for my reloading components.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:18:05 AM »
 Mparks:
    Thanks for the input.  I was wondering how big they were.
      They took over a rather large store (an X- Old time Pottery store) and have re-
      fitted it . Maybe in this new market their taking a new approach.
      I`ll find out soon enough.

Offline TeePee

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 05:37:12 PM »
 ;DHave a Gander Mountain in my area. No it's not one of the big pro bass or cabelas. I've been to Bass Pro in OK city and Springfield WOW great. GM is a great place in it's on. As far as the two BPS stores or should I say MALLS our GM had them beat in number and variety of fire arms and ammo but way smaller in over all size of store. Price is right also. Enjoy the place. Spent some $$ there.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:46:20 PM »
I think both Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shop's prices are very high. We have one of each in my area. I can usually find the same things they carry cheaper locally. One thing I can say about Gander Mountain is they carry A LOT of guns. They opened their store here with 1600 long guns and 75 pistols. That's alot of guns for a store to carry, around here anyway's!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 01:34:06 AM »
It amazes me to watch all of the people at Cabelas pay top dollar for their goodies.
My local Gander Mtn is in the same area as a few other shops. My wife wants to shop at Kohls... NO PROBLEM!! I will walk over to Gander Mtn and kill time until she is finished. I have found a few close out deals there. I also like the way Gander Mtn has aranged the guns, unlike Cabelas where you take a number and WAIT, the long guns are all out in the open

All in all I prefer my local gunshop and will give them first chance every time

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 03:09:40 PM »
i have found gander mountain to be as high priced as cabelas or or bass pro, and i think thier guns are more actually.  in wichita we have a gander and a sportsmans warehouse.  sportsmans is cheaper than wal mart on almost everything, and guns are actually about twenty dollars less, and they have almost anything you want. easily as many guns or more than gander.  i do go to gander and check out for sale stuff that is abot all.
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 05:04:04 PM »
Ilike the selection of firearms at Gander but I usually wind up at the local  gunshop since for the few bucks more I get more personal attention, honest advice and enjoy "shooting the breeze" with the owner.

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 03:37:52 AM »
I just did a search and found the nearest Sportsmans Warehouse is in Lafayette IN, about 3 1/2 hours from me. It is a good thing I go thru there for work 4 times a year or so

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 10:36:38 PM »
you should stop by it hair trigger, it is the greatest store on earth. especially if you reload, they have almost everything you could want reloading wise.
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline Questor

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 07:40:36 AM »
Gander Mountain, here in Minnesota, stocks the most mystifying inventory. I have gone there for even the most basic things and they didn't have them. I wonder who does their buying. I go down the street for fishing equipment and to another place for hunting equipment. I went there last spring to buy a pair of hip boots. They didn't have any. I went there for 1/8 ounce chartreuse or white jigs, they didn't have any. I went for a new tackle box and the ones they had were no good. In this state where panfishing is popular, they didn't stock 2 pound test line. In fact, of the last 10 times I have been there, the only time they have had what I went for was when my son wanted some arrows. The stores are big, but they don't sell what I want to buy. And I'm by no means picky. It's just that the guys down the street sell products that fit the knowledgeable Minnesota outdoorsman much better.

You may ask why I bother to keep going. It's because there are several of the stores around here and I start by thinking "surely they must have X, it's a basic staple". I am almost always wrong. The one grand exception to my history was in the case of buying my shotgun. They had just the right one. But they have since quit selling Berettas, as far as I can see.
Safety first

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 10:50:52 AM »
I stopped by Gander Mtn again today. True to my past expierences nothing much in the gun dept excited me but then again I understand my likings are a bit different than most. Also like in the past there are good close out deals. Carhart shorts for $12.00 and wow they had 2 pair in my size!

Offline RLB

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 03:01:09 PM »
Here in Dallas we have all the major stores, BPS, cablelas,sportsman warehouse,Dicks, gander mountain...I think dicks and sportmans warehouse have the best prices on rifles. cableas has the best prices on ammo and you cant beat BPS for fishing gear..The folks at sportmans warehouse are the best...still every weekend I go by cabelas to check out there used guns..Best part is they'll call the other stores ifn your looking for something unusual...the people at BPS look at you like your bothering them if you ask a question..

RLB........

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 02:42:52 AM »
  Questor:

Sounds like my trips to BPS in Orlando.  When you drive 75 miles round trip,
         nobody wants to hear ," sorry, we`re out it ."
          That`s why the question about GM.
        Thanks to all for the comments.

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 04:30:14 AM »
Gander Mountain, here in Minnesota, stocks the most mystifying inventory. I have gone there for even the most basic things and they didn't have them. I wonder who does their buying. I go down the street for fishing equipment and to another place for hunting equipment. I went there last spring to buy a pair of hip boots. They didn't have any. I went there for 1/8 ounce chartreuse or white jigs, they didn't have any. I went for a new tackle box and the ones they had were no good. In this state where panfishing is popular, they didn't stock 2 pound test line. In fact, of the last 10 times I have been there, the only time they have had what I went for was when my son wanted some arrows. The stores are big, but they don't sell what I want to buy. And I'm by no means picky. It's just that the guys down the street sell products that fit the knowledgeable Minnesota outdoorsman much better.

You may ask why I bother to keep going. It's because there are several of the stores around here and I start by thinking "surely they must have X, it's a basic staple". I am almost always wrong. The one grand exception to my history was in the case of buying my shotgun. They had just the right one. But they have since quit selling Berettas, as far as I can see.

Ever since Goose Hill (GM) opened in Terrible Haute I've encountered the same mystifying problem obtaining what I want, especially ammo, and reloading components. But the last time I paid them a visit, I happened to meet a very helpful member of management who made it a point to order what I needed without making the same lame excuses the part-timers gave me.

This same fellow also had the pistol ammo moved from behind the gun counter - which Indiana law permits - to a much more convenient location where I don't have to strain my aging eyes to find what I want. Another plus to this sensible action is that I no longer have to tolerate the tall tales, life stories, opinions, and worldly advice inflicted on me by any of the part-time employees who hope I'll hang around long enough to buy a gun from them.
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 02:13:29 AM »
Savage .250,
Where is GM coming to in central FL?  I live on the coast and I'm always looking for a new place to check out guns.  Bass Pro is a nice big place, but there is something that rubs me the wrong way about having to take a number at the gun counter just to look at a gun or ask a question.
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!
:D

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 01:48:47 PM »
I like to window shop at gander mtn. and then order what I want on line for a lot less. I do like the fact that you can check out the firearms though.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 12:51:07 AM »
Savage .250,
Where is GM coming to in central FL?  I live on the coast and I'm always looking for a new place to check out guns.  Bass Pro is a nice big place, but there is something that rubs me the wrong way about having to take a number at the gun counter just to look at a gun or ask a question.

Their new store is located in Lake mary, Fl a few miles east of Orlando on I-4.
    Their address is: 3750 Flagg Lane, Lake mary, Fl.  Tele# (407) 804-0514
     You can get a map and directions to location by going to their web-site (store#350)
     Hope that helps some.
     i`m going for a "visit" tomorrow, will post my observations.