Author Topic: Zone 1 block 180 deer hunting  (Read 875 times)

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Zone 1 block 180 deer hunting
« on: September 17, 2006, 03:09:25 PM »
I forgot the lottery again as usual but I checked the DNR website: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/deer/2006/index.html
and block 180 is intensive harvest this year!!!

I thought we had heavy snow last year where we were. They had a mega dump in December (the locals told me the worst they had EVER seen in one snowfall...over 30 inches).

All I know is I had to hand haul my junk in sleds from Dec 15th thru March 20th!!! My new ATV which I was hoping to use into January and part of March was a no go. I never did have any deer by my cabin all winter.

I guess they (deer) had a mild winter?!!!!???? What are the rest of you seeing in your blocks?

Last year my brother dropped two does with one shot, I took two does end of the week. Last year we got the "all season" permit. We meat hunted to fill up the freezer. Didn't get my buck until black powder season.

Tired of the heat up there deer hunting. I was in the t-shirt again last year. No good for the meat. I remember last year, the mad dash home to the twin cities we hit 60 degrees in a pounding thunderstorm with the meat getting soaked.

We are taking the second week this year to deer hunt hoping for highs in the 40's max. Three weeks after the rifle season I was up there in below zero temps black powder hunting and a week after I left they had the monster snow fall.

ONLY IN MINNESOTA!!!!
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Zone 1 block 180 deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 08:15:16 AM »
Yeah I know what you mean.. Let's just say our meat pole wasn't exactly "drooping" last year.. (It was last year or the year before.. I can't remember)... But anyways, the heat sucks - Forces us to skin out our deer and waste $ on ice to throw inside the cavities on the deer.  I'd take extreme cold over extreme warm ANY day deer hunting.. I like to bundle up and not worry about sweat, smell, etc.  Ended up going out in a t-shirt and vest in years past.

THAT aint what deer huntin is about!  Deer huntin is about a frosty mustache, frozen sandwiches, and getting frost bite on the tips of your fingers from loading the ice-cold cartridges into the gun without gloves because we all know, it just dont work with gloves on  :P
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"