Author Topic: Convincing someone to use a small bore?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Convincing someone to use a small bore?
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:43:36 AM »
I sure see a lot of guys who say they like shooting a handgun, but only shoot guns with a lot of blast and recoil. Most  never really seem to learn to shoot that well.

Have you found a good argument for convincing someone to shoot a lighter recoiling gun to develop skills so that their shooting improves?

Safety first

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Convincing someone to use a small bore?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:28:46 AM »
I shot indoor 22 cal bullseye competition for years. I would show them some target examples of 10 shot groups that are near dime size. The mild recoil of the standard velocity 22 ammo in a target pistol allows the shooter to focus and concentrate on the mental aspects of marksmanship. IMHO marksmanship is 90% mental.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline jimster

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 12:57:43 PM »
I had a pal of mine over and had him play with my Ruger .22 semi auto pistol and we drilled targets all day long.
He didn't even have a .22 handgun, always shooting 41 and 44 mags. He loved it so much he went and bought one for himself.
I introduced him to casual plinking off the back porch with very little noise and very little money and shooting at teeny weeny targets, That sold him for life.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »
I believe if anyone is serious about shooting handguns; 22's are the place to start.  I was introduced to handgun shooting by my Dad.  We would shoot a High Standard Citation; which I still have.  I grew up shooting sihouettes at distances of 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters.  This was quite a challenge with open sights.  I managed to achieve a AA classification by they time I was 16.  It was the best for teaching trigger control, sight allignment, and proper breathing. 

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »
I have handungs in 22lr up thru 454 Casull.
In both rifles and pistols the 22lr's are the most fun for me to shoot.

Offline D.C.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 07:11:25 PM »
 Hello Questor
   Well you could just make a post on the subject in one of the GB forums, but some fool might ask you to answer a dumb question or two.  Oh rats, theres a hook and a catch to that one  ;)     So here's mine.
  I have been contemplating a 32 for this very reason. I like the reload capability of the caliber but have not shot one. I cast my own bullets would need molds too. Is this light enough to qualify in the every day skill building kind of class? any other reloadable options, light powder users,the goal is reloadable with low expense,and low enough recoil so you can shoot it alot, and to get my wife and child in on the game too.    D.C. Don

Offline greener

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:43:13 AM »
The only reasons I can see shooting small bore instead of large bore are that both require the same shooting mechanics; less recoil extends the time on the range; and the ammo cost for a couple of hours on the range is less than the cost of gas to get you there.  I've often seen folks bringing first-time shooters to the range and shooting large bore with loads of recoil.  Some of them develop flinches from anticipating the recoil, get real discouraged when they don't hit anything and start developing a dislike for shooting.  A few minutes with one of my pop guns can get them back into the groove.  A few weeks ago an instructor brought a lady to the range.  She was shooting her husbands .357 ruger.  A couple of cylinders into the lesson, with nothing near the target, she was complaining about her wrist hurting and shooting in general.  Offered them the use of my 22A and started loading mags for them.  After about 30 rounds she was hitting the target (paper plate) and saying how much fun shooting was.  When I left she was doing ok with the ruger, but said she was going to get one of those "little guns."

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 03:13:51 PM »
The argument I always come up with is that you use the same fundamentals for shooting a big bore pistol as a small bore, so why not spend 9 bucks for 550 rounds of ammo, rather than 15-30 dollars for 50 rounds?  I'm in the same boat in that my wife hunted as she grew up, and used a .270 on Michigan deer, but I'm getting her started with pistols.  She shot my dad's single six, and my mkII pistol as well as a mod. 66 with .38specials in it, and a glock 22, and decided she likes revolvers.  So I picked her up a ss 5.5" single six.  I figure that will give her her own pistol, and keep her interest when she knows that she can "whip" me with her gun.  I also got a gp100 for her to use for deer if she gets good with it, and have every intention of giving it to her. You don't become perfect at free throws overnight, or run a 4.4 40 in a week, so why should you go straight for the end goal right off the bat?  It's just going to frustrate the heck out of them, and prove that you need to work up to the point that you are proficient.

~~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 02:22:28 PM »
Been there done that! I shot full tilt magnums for years in the name of fun. I guess maybe back then it was. Now I shoot alot of 22 and milked down 357's with wad cutters...820fps or so. Don't get me wrong I still like to shoot Mag loads......just not alot of them.......
Questor never did find many who would listen until they wanted to.....Jim

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 01:31:08 AM »
I grew up shooting small bore rifle. I got into handguns in my 20's with a S&W Model 27-2 and a couple of .45s. I didn't shoot .22s much until after my bypass surgery this July. I was really restricted in what I could do. I went shooting with .22s. I rediscovered what fun they can be. I have now gotten a few more to play with. With gas prices the way they are, it is cheaper to shoot than to drive to the range.
Tom

Offline S.S.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 05:58:08 AM »
Outshoot them with a smaller caliber !
The best way to make a point is to prove it !
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 02:39:42 PM »

Amen to what S.Sumner says.

I enjoy coming to a range where guys are missing at 25 FEET and proceed to hit at 25 - 100 yards with my 38 or 32-20.

It tends to attract their attention.  Even had one come back a few weeks later with a 38.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 02:41:10 PM »

Amen to what S.Sumner says.

I enjoy coming to a range where guys are missing at 25 FEET and proceed to hit at 25 - 100 yards with my 38 or 32-20.

It tends to attract their attention.  Even had one come back a few weeks later with a 38.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline randyb

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 03:36:53 AM »
Take them squirrel hunting with a pistol.  My dad thought that was a hoot, until I did as good as he did with a rifle.  (Of course I was shooting +5,000 rounds a year out of that pistol too in practice).
A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt