Author Topic: new gun store  (Read 696 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
new gun store
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »
 There is a new gun store opened in my town today. I live in a small town where the only place to get a new gun was Wal-Mart or the local hardware store who has a few guns .So I checked out this new gun store today after work and guess what the first thing I saw. He had about 15 differnt handis in all shapes and sizes. Plus he told me he was going to get another shipment in next Monday and he really made me happy when he said he was getting a few 280s in. So now all I got to do is  save a little money and maybe I can get me one. (hopefully)   

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: new gun store
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:16:57 PM »
.....hey that is great to hear....with all the ffl dealers who went out of business during the harsh and harassing Clinton years, it is always good to hear of or actually see first hand, a new gun dealer ....on my last job i used to travel extensively around maine and i found some really out of the way gun shops...very small and locally oriented....but really nice in their own way.....one new one opened up in freeport recently much surplus and military stuff and one opened in Bethel a year or two ago....very small but very nice......many of the dealers are getting old hereabouts or are retired guys working to keep busy....god help us when they retire for good......

Offline D.C.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 06:13:26 PM »
Sounds like a nice place to be to me. I wish the new store well. Hope you find the one you want in the next shipment.    D.C.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:16:29 PM »
This is especially good news, for you.  I heard a blip on the local news today that stated Walmart is getting out of the "Lay-Away" business.  With so many of them already discontinuing the sale of firearms, this will pretty much make them a "Non-Factor" in the firearms business.  That's really sad, as they have had good prices and with the special order set-up you could have a good selection, too.  My best choice locally is Gander Mountain and their prices are not bad.  Great news for you, Good Luck on the 280.
cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 11:45:33 PM »
great news for yu!!! now tell everyone to buy from him anything they can  supposrt him all you guys can,, so you spend a few  extra bucks  more ,, maybe he will be there when you need  him latyer on,, as  we all know wally sure wont

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 12:14:03 AM »
Our new shop is a real pain to deal with , he will only law-a-way guns over $350 , will not even order Handi's and is just a a$$ to deal with .

Thankfully i still have my old standby guys to buy from , since i don't do wally-world .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Bldr Bob

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 04:35:32 AM »
Hey Cookieman, have you looked at the new Sportsmans Warehouses yet?  The one in Woodbury has a pretty good selection of different calibers.  I just bought a 45/70 there and almost picked up a 25-06 they had.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »
I must try to stay better informed.  I didn't know there was a new one in Woodbury.  Only one I know about is up by Rogers.

Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:02:40 PM »
I went to work today and told everybody about the place. I know a few went there after we got off. The man running it seems to be ok. He said if there anything that he did not have he would get it  if you wanted. I hope he does well because that is my kind of place

Offline RackWrangler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 08:21:08 PM »
holahead,

Where you located?  I'm always up for a drive to a good gun shop.

RW
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »
Bobs gun in Hasting Mi has been there for a very long time my Dad (almost 70) said it was the frist place He ever bought a Gunand that was way before I was born (I`am 37) every gun He has ever bought has came from there. Most of all my and my Brothers also hunting lisence, shells,close, you name it He gets about all our support they now us by name when we walk in and they carry Handi`s alot of them hope your new gun store will be as good............ ;D John

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 11:36:27 AM »
RackWrangler I' m in south alabama

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 02:11:09 AM »
I support my local gunshop owners.  Theres only (2) I buy from, refusing to deal with Walmart because the Waltons are already rich.

We dont have much for selection in the local shops, but they will order ANYTHING I want.   ...sure they tack on a buck or so, but they have families to feed too.   And its not as if they dont give a box of ammo too at times with any new firearm that I dont alreadly have ammo for.

Since there's complications/delays at times with my "Instant Background Check", working with a dealer that knows the situation and doesn't give me any grief over the wait on the phone as the State Police re-verify things is nice.  (someone on deathrow in FL with same name as myself, and my having a nonconviction arrest in FL sets off flags).

My only other choices are to drive 40+ miles or so to big gun shops, that at times tend to have a snobbish staff.   ...where as my two local guys appreciate my visit even if I'm just there to look.  The bigger shops try to sell me big $$ stuff that I dont want, where as my local guys know that I know what I want and wont try to steer me into something on the shelf for more $$.

Find a local shop owner that will work with you, not try to work the cash out of your wallet.  These days are hard on the mom & pop shops, supporting them even though they are a few bucks more is worth it.  Yeah, $20-40 more then Walmart can be tough on the wallet for anyone - but theirs more at stake then a few hours of labor at work to cover it.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07