Author Topic: So Here I sit...  (Read 1121 times)

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
So Here I sit...
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »
At 12 am, with butterflies in my stomach keeping me from falling asleep.  What's the reason?

DEER SEASON IN A MONTH AND A HALF  :o Gosh that came up quick.  I registered a customer's buck at Gander today that he took with his bow.. Sure got my heart beating.  This cold weather doesn't help the anxiety any  ;D

I need a life.. Oh wait, I have one:  Huntin and fishin  :-*
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Re: So Here I sit...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »
Your not alone. I'm sitting here 10 mins after you posted realizing all the work I've got to do to. Put a new axle hub on the trailer, reload some more rounds for the hunt, work on the ATV trailer, decide which rainy day peep sight gun I'm taking, which stand I'm using and what work needs to be done on it, should I put up a portable this year, blah, blah, blah.

I was in Gander in Woodbury Saturday and picked up some tree spikes. The bins were already getting low. Snooze you lose!!
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 04:51:08 AM »
BF,

I know it... So much to be some, so much to be bought (with no money to buy  ::) ).  I doubt I'll get out archery hunting so I'm trying to sell my almost brand new bow now.. But can't wait until the blustery first Saturday of Nov.!  We usually stay up at camp for the 9 days.  Did well last year.. Ended up putting in a few more food plots and the time we spent driving around each dawn and dusk, the big bucks are already emerging.  We haven't shot any small bucks off the land for the last 5 or 6 years, so this could very possibly be the "Big Buck" year we have been anticipating.  The ones we take are generally nice deer, but it's always a better feeling knowing you aren't pressured to shoot the first buck that walks by your barrel.  You hunt in Duluth, eh?  Nice area I hear.  I haven't had a chance to get up there any.

If I can get out archery hunting next year, I'll probably be looking for some state WMA's in the Afton/Hastings area.  Do you do any hunting there?  I've lived in Woodbury all my life but haven't ventured out of town much in that regards.

Have a good one  ;)
HuntingGuy

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:58:15 AM »
Welch is loaded with State land open for hunting. I turkey hunt and black powder deer down there. There's one big plot of land 2 miles or so west of City of Welch on the South side of the Cannon River. It starts right next to the Mid-Continent Gun Club. State has the land posted open for hunting. You'll have to snake around the backside of Welch Village ski slope on the major hwy, and turn right on Sunset Blvd? (gravel). Keep taking rights until you end up next to Cannon river again. Look for yellow State hunting signs.

State has set up parking areas for you to use and not as much pressure as the other big tract of land on east side of ski slope. Lots of pressure there because parking right next to highway and apparently the hunters there don't want to drive the extra couple miles on gravel?
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 10:10:39 AM »
hunters there don't want to drive the extra couple miles on gravel?
LOL.. I hear ya.  We hunt some state land on the side of a road up in Roseau County for bear, they have a couple areas for campers and cars.. Nobody there for bear hunting.. But during deer, it's STACKED.  Don't know how the deer aren't all hearing impaired in that area  ;D
HuntingGuy

Offline Bldr Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 06:07:10 AM »
I can't wait!  I thought that the wonderful bear hunt I had would help deal with the agonizing 2 months until dear season but I think it has done just the opposite.  I will be going to the hunting land in a couple weeks to fix some stands and get it ready for the opener.  I already have my bullets loaded and some of my stuff laid out already.  The yearly list of what I need to buy is started and hanging on my fridge.

Offline USMC0332

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 05:06:25 AM »
It is funny to me that I spend time daily throughout the year thinking of deer season. It occupies my thoughts and conversations and reading far more than I actually get to do it. My gun selections have the criteria of, can I deer hunt with it. I have no interest in loading ammo that can't be used on game. I do believe I am addicted, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I have been this way since I was 8. I was in stand with my dad when he shot a nice buck. I still vividly remember the whole morning.