Author Topic: More OLD SHOTGUNS....  (Read 796 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
More OLD SHOTGUNS....
« on: September 20, 2006, 12:53:33 AM »
 ;D   What can you guys tell me about this ol'timer? 

Its barrel has been chopped down to 19", has a leather butt pad. Its a take down with a tang barrel release.

It been in my family for as long as I can remember. The name is worn from the side of the receiver. I think its a M48, I know its a H&R. The SN is 281786, anything you can tell me would be great!

Here is some pics:

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline pshaw

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: More OLD SHOTGUNS....
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:21:21 AM »
Gee guys.  We need to run a contest on who has the oldest single barrel.  My J. C. Higgins 410 single was bought in 1950 so you have me beat by a mile cwlongshot.  Sorry I can't help you in dating that gun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:32:28 PM »
Thanks pshaw. I first used this gun for ducks as a cripple gun. You know, letf in the boat for anyone to use when running down cripples.

Now it has a place of honor and never sees the field/woods anymore. I do bring it camping, as the take down feature lets me roll it in my bedroll and remains totally consealed!!

SOMEONE's gotta have some info on it?????

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline pshaw

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:32:11 AM »
I think I might have found something in the 1902 Edition of the Sears, Roebuck Catalogue.  However my computer is at work and its time to head for the barn.  I will try to send a pic of the drawing Monday. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:31:17 AM »
I think I might have found something in the 1902 Edition of the Sears, Roebuck Catalogue.  However my computer is at work and its time to head for the barn.  I will try to send a pic of the drawing Monday. 

WOW...I knew it was old....but figured 20's or 30's.....not turn of the LAST century!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline pshaw

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:49:07 AM »
Don't get too excited.  Being in the 1902 editon doesn't necessarily make "your" gun that old.  The 94 Winchester is in there too.  It just means that it was being manufactered at that time. 

Offline pshaw

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 04:20:35 AM »
Here's the ad.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/pshaw/06301w.jpg

This is the most expensive single barrel in the book except for the 8 and 10 gauges.  The toggle for the take down might be a little different but things like that change from year to year.  Sears tended to claim a lot of what they sold as their manufacture when they really were only the middle man.  BTW do you want your $4.35 back?