Author Topic: Hornet story "Stinkin' pecan eatin' crows!"  (Read 909 times)

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Hornet story "Stinkin' pecan eatin' crows!"
« on: September 22, 2006, 06:00:03 PM »
Here's a little adventure I posted on another forum and I thought I would share it with you too.
I was coming into the house this afternoon and right before I stepped in the door a flock of crows lit in my pecan tree. This is the time of year they start in on pecans, while they're not quite ripe.

Well, I just went on in the house and decided what my firearm of choice was going to be and decided on the Handi rifle in .22 Hornet. Besides, it was already sitting out and was handy.  ;D

If you come out of the door very fast, the crows see you and off they go, so I just eased my eyeballs around the edge of the door frame, poked the gun barrel and scope out and didn't see a thing.

So, I ventured out further, into some sort of jungle my wife has growing up the porch columns and gave the tree a good looking over. Still nothing, so I thought about putting everything up.

Then, another flock of crows came into the pecan tree and one made the mistake of sitting on a limb, so it was pretty visible, may have been the sentry. Being already positioned in the jungle, I had time to set the AO and find it in the scope that was set on 4X.

POW, 13.5 gr of Lil'Gun with a 40 gr V-Max went off and the whole flock picked up and vacated their dinner location and I didn't see a thing fall.

Oh well, so I put everything up and went out to do the evening chores. While I was feeding the cow and calf, I decided to give the other pen a look see, just in case I did hit that crow. I looked under the pecan and didn't see anything, so I turned to go back to the other side and there it was, hit right where I had aimed at!

So, I stretched it's wings out and sorta hung it from the cattle panels as a warning for the rest of them. "These pecans could be hazardous to your health!"    It'll probably work for keeping them away and I'll get at least a partial crop of pecans!

Crows are smart! Unless you get them riled up with an owl call or something, they just don't let you bag too many at one sittin'. At least, not these east Texas varities.

So, I normally try to take one example and hang it up for the rest to see and it usually works. I had two hanging last year and they stayed there for several months. When I did that, the crow conventions stopped!

BTW, the Hornet with a 40 gr V-Max is a pretty good performer, even on light bodied critters and with less velocity than what a lot of people think is sufficient.

I have clocked this load at 2750 fps, which is actually slow for a .22 caliber centerfire, but it still does the job with authority! There wasn't any "pink mist", but it was still instant dead!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Hornet story "Stinkin' pecan eatin' crows!"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 05:39:35 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:11:54 AM »
Crows are bulletproof and are "out of phase" in my area.  They are really about a foot to the left of where they appear to be in the scope, the product of some alien light-bending camoflage.   I've missed them cleanly at ridiculously short ranges.  I did make a once in a lifetime hit at 258 paces with my 223 and a 40gr Vmax.  Stroke of luck it was, I had no idea what the trajectory was at that range and just aimed what I thought was 6"over him.  It cut him off about half way down as clean as if you had used a machete. Pleased as punch I was.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 02:30:37 AM »
Crows don't seem to hang around the farm here 8) I guess the constant barage of flying lead and copper must scare them away.
I agree they are smart.. :-X
-Aaron

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 07:56:30 PM »
I loaded a few 46 gr Win HPs tonight with 6.5 gr of Blue Dot to see what they will do.  I haven't gotten around to clocking them yet, but the bullet is cheap and I expect something close to .22 WRM velocities.

For some reason, my "scarecrow" isn't working this year.  It may be because the cats have knocked it down on the ground, so tomorrow I'll get out the baling twine and tie it in the tree.  ;)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 05:13:21 AM »
Paul.
I whacked a crow with my 6x47 Handi, not to long ago. 58gr V-max, 25.7 gr H4198,
at 3450. He came appart like a bomb. He was about 150 yards out.

They are  smart bird and you dont get a crack at them often.

Long time ago while duck hunting my friend and I found a low bush on a big lake where the crows would roost at night. We went there after it got really dark put skeet chokes into our gun and slaughtered them with a big battery light set on the ground. They would not fly out of the bush into the dark.

Best crow shoot I ever had at less than ten yards had to give up because we ran out of shell. You never heard so much cawing in your life.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 05:50:19 AM »
Fred,

You should do it again!  ;D

People just don't understand how destructive crows are.  I planted 25 pounds of G-90 bicolor corn once upon a time and the crows pulled every plant except one!  I was just using a .22 LR at the time and I couldn't get closer than 125 yards to them.  I did manage to get one, but by that time it was too late!   :(

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 06:16:20 AM »
Paul.
The problem is these roosts are hard to find, the crows gather in the very late evening and they come from all directions. Need a bit high ground and a good pair of night binocs to spot them and watch where the fly to.

At the migration time it gets dark real fast, and the grows melt into the dark back ground. They usually pick a very secluded place.

Decoys and a good electronic crow call and a big owl decoy works pretty good, once you knock down a few they get berserk and dive in. Good practice for your skeet gun.

I knew one guy who had a live pet crow, he clipped the wings and set him on a short pole That bugger enjoyed seeing his buddies killed cawing like mad.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 09:16:47 AM »
I think they are kind of like a self sealing tire !
Punch a hole through one and something inside seals it up !
I have hit them at 35 to 40 yards with my 12 ga.
They would fold up and fall 20 or 30 yds.
Then catch their wings again and fly off..
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".