Author Topic: Anyone chronied the LeverEvolution 30-30 ammo.  (Read 613 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Anyone chronied the LeverEvolution 30-30 ammo.
« on: September 23, 2006, 03:09:41 AM »
Just wondering what the actual velocities were. Their website states a 2400 FPS muzzle velocity but based on their data about their other ammo, that some have shot thru a chronograph, I would assume that is an overestimate. Anyone done the test yet? Claims for the new 30-30 stuff is that it will turn a 20" barelled Marlin lever gun into a 200 yard killer when sighted in at 3" high at 100. I think the Handis are already doing that with handloads and pointed bullets aren't they? I have noted that the LeverEvolution stuff costs as much as all the other premium centerfire stuff out there, about a $1 a shot.

Edited to add that the claim for the new 336XLR is a 250 yard gun with this ammo. One could be had for about $600 minus a scope, rail, and rings. Think I'll stick with my 30-06 Vanguard........for now ;).
I do have a soft spot for the old tried and true 30-30 tho and I'm really intrigued by this new ammo for it.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Anyone chronied the LeverEvolution 30-30 ammo.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 04:24:05 AM »
Generally speaking, manufacturers are much better at thier ammo reaching advertized velocities, as many people have chronys. They are cheap (realitively speaking) and easily attainable.

The differences will be altitude, ambient temps and of coarse barrel legnth. All things equil, its likley you will get what they advertize.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 05:31:36 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 05:58:57 AM »
Thanks Tim,
I did some browsing there earlier this morning but didn't find that one. That's some impressive info. Just as I was suspecting.
Still can't figure paying the $600 for the new rifle, but I wonder how they'd shoot in my Savage/Springfield 840E. It's a bolt action with a 20" barrel.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 06:03:18 AM »
There's only one way to find out, hope it shoots good for ya!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 06:47:09 AM »
From the American Rifleman
Attempting to update a classic can be a risky venture, but Hornady’s new LEVERevolution ammunition (March 2006, p. 30) succeeded with flying colors.
    Hornady recognized that, while lever-actions are extremely popular with hunters and shooters, their magazine-tube system could only be used with round-nose bullets whose poor aerodynamics limit velocity and range. What was the solution? Cartridges that combine high-performance powders with soft-polymer-tipped, spitzer-shaped bullets. The resulting soft-tipped cartridges extend the practical range of lever-action cartridges to offer both high performance and safety from a lever-action’s magazine tube.
    Helping shooters wring new levels of performance out of old-favorite cartridges earned Hornady’s LEVERevolution the title “American Rifleman Ammunition of the Year.”
I was actually looking for the article online, but this is as close as I got.  The load was run through a chronogragh and the results were published.  I don't remember the particulars, but it was impressive enough that I bought LeveRevolutions in .35 Rem for my 336!  I got them from Midway for about $17/box, which isn't much higher than regular loads.

BTW, I don't think they are intended to be "evolutions" as much as reusing the" R" to be revolutionary "Revolutions".  They are certainly "Lever Revolutions"!

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Anyone chromed the LeverEvolution 30-30 ammo.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 02:06:15 AM »
 Anyone who has some of this ammo should check with Hornady about the lot numbers. There has been a recall on certain lots of this Ammo due to low charge weights. Some people have reported bullets lodged in the barrel. So far no catastrophic event has been reported but check the manufacturer's web site for more information.

Rusty <><

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=439
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff