Author Topic: Class 3 FFL  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Will

• Trade Count: (0)
Class 3 FFL
« on: April 13, 2003, 03:28:40 AM »
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting into a little full-auto shooting within the next year or two, and I'm a little confused on the regulations.  Which full-auto weapons are available to own?  I read some regulations that said something like they have to have been manufactured before 1986, is that so?  I've sort of got a liking for the HK-MP5 in one of its various configurations, probably the Navy.  If it's available, what sort of price should I expect?  This seems like a fun aspect of shooting to get into.
Even without grocery stores, I won't go hungry.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Class 3 FFL
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 04:05:47 AM »
What you want to look for is a transferrable gun. Post '86 guns are usually dealer samples, and can only be sold to other dealers or law enforcement agencies. Probably the best source of info I have seen is the Machinegun Dealer's Bible, published by Small Arms Review mag. It covers all the ins and outs of buying and owning NFA items, and is well worth the $50 that it costs before you get your feet wet. If you have any class III dealers near you it's always helpful to get to know them, and check Gunsamerica for the going rates on what you're looking for.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Gargoyle

Class 3 FFL
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 08:17:14 AM »
Check you state laws first.  Not all states allow ownership of all types of NFA (National Firearms Act) weapons.

It sounds like you want to buy and shoot them.  If so, you do NOT need an FFL or class 3 SOT.  You only need that if you plan to be a dealer.  For a dealer there is a $500 per year tax.  As an individual, there is a $200 tax per transfer, but no annual tax.  

The H&K MP5's are $8,000 and up depending on the type.  Both dealers and individuals compete for the same pre-1986 transferable guns so there is no special dealer pricing on these guns.

For just buying to own (no FFL or class 3 SOT), you buy as (1) an individual, which requires you get local law enforcement to approve the purchase, or (2) set up a corporation with you as an officer of the corporation, then local law enforcement approval is not needed for a corporate purchase.  Both will still require an FBI background check.

The best NFA forum (discussion board and for sale ads) is http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/

Another for ads is http://www.sturmgewehr.com/

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Seriously...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 05:49:33 PM »
If you were to own an Automatic weapon, you should forget about the MP5, as is has no other use than to make head shots on a human.  For the same amount of money, you should go for the M4A1 carbine.  Although it dosen't have the accessory rails that the A3 and new A4 does, it is semi and fully auto capable.  This weapon will not only provide mroe enjoyment fo rthe same amount of money, it is a 5.56 round, which is leaps and bounds above the 9*19mm.  

On a further note, I have been told that if you use a Class III firearm in a defensive situation (even if the court decides in your favor) you will never see that weapon again.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23