Author Topic: .223 Heavy barrel  (Read 1048 times)

Offline KLT

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 Heavy barrel
« on: September 24, 2006, 07:48:32 AM »
 I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this.  I looked at a Handi the other day.  I was kind of struck on the gun.  I've done alot of reading here, and found alot.  I was wanting to know what the real expectation would be out of the box.  I would like to be able to shoot 200yd effectively. Mainly hunting, and plinking.  Will this gun shoot well enough for this. How common is the lock up problems, or am I better off with a cheaper bolt.  I also read about the Stevens rifles. 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: .223 Heavy barrel
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 09:04:41 AM »
I have had both the Stevens (Savage) and the heavy barrel .223 Handi.  The .223 Handi shot well (not sub MOA but well) the same frame with another barrel was awful.  The Handi is gone and I still have the Savage.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 09:21:07 AM »
...Don't know if it's germain to the question ..but i really like my buill-barrell in .17 HMR..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 09:29:56 AM »
Lots of happy .223 owners here, most .223s shoot the win white box 45gr JHP moa or much better. There are lots of .223 threads if you take the time to look thru previous pages of the forum, unfortunately the search doesn't work very well. >:(

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,97042.0.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 10:25:51 AM »
KLT

I have one of the heavy or bull barrel handi,s in .223 and just love it , it was my #1 gun this spring to shoot P-dogs . now a p-dog is just about the size of a Pepsi can and most shots were at 300 to 500 yards .

I guess i was lucky mine shoot about 3/4 in. at 100 right out of the box with just your basic cleaning and polishing , but it will not shoot the WWB 45s , it just loves the Speer , Hornady and Sierra 52s and 55s , so you will have to see which works best .

The best groups with factory ammo came with Remington 55 gr. SPs
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Huddleup

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 01:49:50 PM »
I have a 223 not the bull but the regular bbl and I love it. Shot a cyote at 296yards in the head. You can't go wrong with these guns.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 01:32:47 AM »
I bought one, but it was too muzzle heavy for me. I chopped the bbl to 18" and fitted iron sights. With a slimmed-down stock, now it's a really "handy" rifle. Still wish it has an ejector though. I may have to get an ejector bbl and chop it...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 02:39:06 AM »
Stevens or Handi, they both will shoot good, just kinda depends on what action you want/need. I like Savage, but they won't be quite as versitle as a Handi. Switching a lightweight 223 barrel, to a hard hitting 45-70 or 12ga Slugger in only a matter of seconds is a big draw. Versitility is the main reason I stay with them, not to mention the price, accuracy, and nice length-even with long barrels- shorter than most any bolt action. Pick it up and enjoy it.
-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 04:19:35 AM »

I have only had 1 Handi out of all that I have owned that wasn't accurate..The Savage is a good gun...but..it is a bolt gun..and it will never equal a Handi in terms of versatility...The Savage is known for it's accuracy...while true to the most part..always remember..you can get some that won't shoot out of the box too...just like the Handi's..and you will need to work on it to get the best accuracy out of it...Either way you go...both can and do very well...Single shot or repeater...Single caliber...or multiple calibers with a simple barrel switch...That what it boils down to......Accuracy with this caliber usaully isn't the issue in either gun...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 12:44:35 PM »
  I forgot to mention that I do have a .223 bull barrel..and taking Quick's advice i got some of those white box 45 gr Winchesters. The accuracy is great !
  I have the extractor on mine..believe that was done due to much imported/surplus ammo being sticky in the chamber.
  I haven't had any problem with those..but that may be due to the fact that I DO have the extractor.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline KLT

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 06:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the info.  How much affect does shooting off of a bipod have on the consistency.  I've read several people saying to slide the rest back.  I have to work tommorow, but I may go to Gander Mountain Sunday and look at one.   

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 06:31:43 PM »
KLT;

I've had a handi for three years now, and took it out west for two pararie dog shoots. This last time out, although the temp was 104 degrees for two days out of the three, every shot failed to eject the shell using 52gr. Hornady A-Maxes and Varget powder which is supposed to be temp. inensistive. Needless to say my handi in .223 in a bull barrel is up for sale.
I made shots over 500 yds with a Savage Model 10 and 77gr. Matchkings in .223.
Ive put over 3000 rounds through the handi and the results are bitter sweet.
I'll keep my N W T F shotgun and my Huntsman but the centerfires are gone.
Just my experience.

Dennis  :)