Author Topic: Signal cannon  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Signal cannon
« on: September 24, 2006, 01:40:11 PM »
Thought everyone would be interested? It was brought to my attention that there are several very nice signal cannons on Ebay right now. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=signal+cannon

The small one has a neat mechanism.

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Signal cannon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:06:16 PM »
On the pictures of the three gauge barrel, It looks like the firing pin dosen't have a spring to push it back. There is a deep groove in the face of the breech where it has rubed over the years.
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:10:42 PM »
I Really like the  smaller 10 gauge with the screw on breech.  :o

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 04:22:24 PM »
I Really like the  smaller 10 gauge with the screw on breech.   

Me too.,  Its sure a good looking one.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »
Did any warning bells go off when you read about the 300 year old pirate cannon be sold by the wreck drivers.  The tell you it's real but don't tell where it came from. Look at the website and the description of the cannons are just as vague.  If they established provenance on this cannon it would help verify it's authenticity and increase it value....

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 06:48:47 PM »
Sorry Should have been more specific. http://cgi.ebay.com/small-yachting-signal-salute-cannon_W0QQitemZ150038069920QQihZ005QQcategoryZ66638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is the barrel I was looking at. Pretty neat aint she:O)
Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 07:07:34 PM »
Pretty Neat!  Simply firing mechanism.

Might be worth while to collect pictures from all those guns for reference.

We need Capt. Ed to Drop in here an tell us what all those guns are...I believe he is the collector of signal Guns!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 07:59:41 PM »
The cannons appear to be far eastern; the web site talks about cannons from Brunei and they have a lot of features like lantakas.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »
Pretty Neat!  Simply firing mechanism.

Might be worth while to collect pictures from all those guns for reference.

We need Capt. Ed to Drop in here an tell us what all those guns are...I believe he is the collector of signal Guns!

Hello DD:

Cpt. Ed dropping in. Yes it is a nice lot of Yacht Signal Salute Cannons this seller in NE. Philadelphia has listed for sale. Last night I have already saved all of his pictures for future reference. This I have done on all Internet listed breech loading yacht cannons over the past couple of years. As reference the images do come in handy especially considering the current value of the Antique ones. You may not have noticed but a 3 gauge Strong with a frozen breech in restorable condition, located in Rhode Island sold for a hefty price of $6600. This one in his shop was listed with a reserve price of $1000. I would liked to have been in his shop prior to his listing the cannon. If you wish to view this item here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&item=330029937245

Now for the newest eBay listings of Yacht Cannons. Out of the four he has listed the two Strongs are late 19th early 20th century antiques and the other two are second half of the 20th century. The large bronze muzzleloading cannon is most likely from the 1970’s to 1980s. It is serial #37 and the company name O.F. Gun Works, Portsmouth, NH. 03801 is stamped into it. The 03801 is the current postal zip code for Portsmouth, NH. The US Postal Department didn’t start with zip codes until July 1st. 1963. You will notice that a lot of the brass hardware on it is contemporary marine supply hardware. It is by all appearance a well made cannon, but not an antique.

The other little 10 gauge breechloader that Powder Keg likes, is a nice little design and size and I like it as well. I think I know the person or company who may have made this little gem. I have an email with pictures already sent to them to confirm their manufacture. For Powder Keg, this brass barrel, screw breech and small hammer would be a simple little design for him to replicate and the carriage would not be a problem for a carriage maker to copy.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 01:00:42 PM »
She sold for $1525!!!
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"