Author Topic: BSA Catseye 2006 model  (Read 1486 times)

Offline jmckinley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
BSA Catseye 2006 model
« on: September 26, 2006, 05:27:29 AM »
 ??? I just purchased a 3-10x44 on ebay anbd i am putting it on a CVA Buckhorn 50cal. Has anyone had any experience with this scope?
I really like the German post on it and wonder was it worth my $ 40.00. The other question is will it hold up under the recoil a 50 dishes out????   Jess  ::)
Jess

Offline Zachary

Re: BSA Catseye 2006 model
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:40:52 AM »
I am not a fan of Any BSA optics.  I have seen reticles on certain models fall apart.  Don't recall exactly which model it was, but it was one of their higher priced models.

With optics, it is generally true that you get what you pay for.  Personally, I think that you spent $40 too much.

Zachary

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »
Zachary I sent the scope back and purchased another bushnell trophy instead. The quality of the BSA is suspect regardless of the price point. The Trophy and Banner are much better scopes for the money. I will not make that mistake again. Jess :P
Jess

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:35:34 AM »
Good move Jess, I'm sure you won't regret it!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline WmRoy

• A Real Regular
    • Gun Collectors Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 01:59:38 PM »
I have a BSA Catseye that seems to work fine on my .22............ doesn't hold zero on anything larger..........  :o ;)

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 07:48:25 AM »
I picked up a Catseye 3-10x44 and am going to try it on my new 243 Yote rilfe. if it hols up if not another Mueller or Millett Buck Gold. Has anyone tried a Millett sold on ebay by way of China?  Jess
Jess

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 09:40:15 AM »
If it's the seller(s) I'm thinking of that push the Millets..... you're almost better off buying locally.  I've seen the sellers from China with $30+ on thier shipping and handling.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 04:42:23 AM »
I suggest that you don't buy any of the Millet, Bushnell, Leupold, etc scopes on ebay that come from China as they are counterfeit items.  Neither Millet or Leupold will honor warranties on these items, and indeed both of them are attempting to get ebay and the feds to do something about this theft of intellectual property.

There are plenty of scopes available from ebay as well as more traditional vendors who will sell you a scope at any price point you desire.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »
I hate BSA with every ounce of breath in my lungs because I too was taken advantage of.  I bought one of their worthless hunks of dodo. Yeah it looked good and man did I think I had a deal for $40.  It was foggy when it got wet and the illuminated reticle lighted up the whole tube so that you couldn't see anything else. The thing would never zero either. BSA is a total waste of money.  I kept miine for about three weeks.  I was tempted to sell it at a yard sale but I couldn't do that to anybody.  I threw it away instead after I crushed the tube.  You'll see after the glitter wears off that BSA is just a pile of crap and you'll want to kick yourself for buying it.  If it's not too late, try reselling it on ebay.

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 03:43:02 PM »
My brother "had" a BSA on his .308 that jumped two clicks on the R/L adjustment everytime he pulled the trigger. It was almost funny ... but he wasn't laughing as he placed it in his trash pickup container.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline NONYA

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 07:34:23 PM »
they are made for airrifles what did you expect?
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 01:39:18 AM »
NONYA, it is not a air rifle scope. BSA lists the air rifle scopes with an AR before the part number.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 01:41:24 AM »
Personally I would not waste any money on a BSA scope. Not even for my 22. JMHO ;)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »
I totally agree.

Zachary

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »
 ::) well by the sounds of it i wasted $ 50.00. What the heck if its going to fial i'll give the POS a ggod reason to. i put it on my 6 3/4 pound 50 cal over a 130gr of powder if it falls apart at least i did my part to blow it up. It sounds like a muller orMillett to me. I wound't by the junk from china on Ebay. First off i'd put a banner or Trophy on and never look back. Never had an oz. of problem with either.  Jess :o :o :o
Jess

Offline NONYA

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »
if you compare thier air rifle scopes and the one thats says its for A 17hmr the internals are EXACTLY the same.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »
Nonya, How do you know they are exactly the same?  ;D Just curious. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline NONYA

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »
look at the adjustment turrets,same,shine a flashlight into it from the barrel side and you can see the crosshairs very well,I dont see any difference.I use one on a 10/22 that was built for an air rifle and just bought a .17hmr with a bsa .17 with the cammed .17 17 gr. turret on it.Both of mine work fine but i havnt tried them on anything but a 22.lr and the .17 hmr. I was told by the salesman they are built for air rifles but they have a higher recoil tollerance than most scopes because they are built to withstand foward and rear recoil.

Offline WmRoy

• A Real Regular
    • Gun Collectors Forum
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 05:59:22 PM »
I have a Catseye for my .22, which in a moment of 'cheap-skate-itis' I put on a 8mm Sporter that I picked up.  So far it's held up??? Managed to use it successfully on a 275 yard shot deer hunting.  Still...... I wouldn't go out and buy one for a center-fire rifle......  ;)  I originally put it on a mini-14 and it was just plain awful on her.... finally went to a scout mount red dot on the mini and that's a nice system!!  ;)

Eventually, I'll put it back on the .22 and buy a 'real' scope for the sporter.....  :D

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 03:49:38 AM »
I have two of them right now, a 4x on my .50 cal inline that has given me no problems in the last 4 years, and one of the old 36x target scopes on my .223 Handi. Both work fine with no problems out of them at all, get tossed behind the seat of the truck in a soft scabbard and still keep their zero. Now I do know some of them have had problems, and I guess I am just lucky that the two I have work good.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 06:35:12 AM »
I started this lets put it to rest what a pc of S____!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I took it to the range on my 06 and my bet group was 2 feet. First shot who knows. Re-bored sighted it 5 inches rt , adjusted the scope who know after that. I think a 22 short has to much recoil. Onced fooled never again. I should have listened but no I had to throw $ 50.00 away. Don't waste your nicle a Bushnell banner or trophy is a much better bet. Jess ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Jess

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »
I had a BSA on a 223 and it would not hold zero. I returned it to GM and got my money back
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!