Author Topic: rings  (Read 483 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
rings
« on: September 26, 2006, 08:39:37 AM »
have you used a scope ring alignment and lapping kit when you put a new scope on your gun?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline oso45-70

Re: rings
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 06:00:01 PM »

jamaldog.

To answer your question, I have never had to lap the rings or the bases, But i do have a piece of tubing that i use to align
the rings with so as to not scratch the scope. I also have a set of line up pins that gets it good as it needs to be. If you have an old scope that you don't use you could try with that, Good luck.........Joe.......
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:59:59 AM »
i see. thanks. i had just hear from people at my gun range that when you put a scope on a gun you need to lap the rings. i never did this with the guns i have and used to have and i never had any problems with the scopes. i just put the scope on and sighted in and that was that.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:05:42 PM »
Brownell's sells afew different type scope alignment kits.  I use alot of two bases instead of the single base for scope rings and normally even using the alignment rods I still lap the rings for that perfect fit.  Using the alignment rod and mounting the scope you may get marks were the rings clamp together if you lap the rings you lessen the chance of getting those clamping marks.  I might be dating myself but trying to remember who gave tape that you put on the inside of the bottom ring so you didn't need to worry about ring marks.  Well good luck.