Author Topic: Grouse Hunting  (Read 843 times)

Offline Bldr Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
Grouse Hunting
« on: September 26, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »
Has anyone been out yet, and how did you do?  I have heard a ton of reports of the population being up, unfortunatly I have not been after them yet, maybe this weekend.  I did see a few when I was in the BWCA but not a ton.

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Re: Grouse Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:41:25 AM »
While bear baiting in August I was out every weekend. Certainly this year has high numbers where I was at, 50 miles north of Duluth along North Shore. Perhaps as good as I have ever seen the 17 years I have hunted there.
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline bpjon

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 09:47:05 AM »
It is getting time for the population to peak again.  I remember hunting around Ely in 1989, it seemed like all you needed to limit out was a flyswatter, there were so many.  Same thing in 2001, but they've been down since, and slowly climbing, so the next few years should be excellent hunting.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Bldr Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 04:23:16 AM »
Well, I decided to go out and chase a few birds this weekend up by my girlfriends cabin.  The only problem is we have clean up leaves, so I figure I will bring up my 2 Stihl gas blowers and in 10 minutes that place will be spotless.  My dog has really been getting antsy with this cold weather lately, it's like she knows it's time to find birds.