Author Topic: .243 NEF barrel bored out to .260 rem (264-08)  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Swageall

• Trade Count: (2)
.243 NEF barrel bored out to .260 rem (264-08)
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:43:28 AM »
Does anyone know if a 243Win barrel can be rebored to 260 Remington?

one at a time --- LRBC

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: .243 NEF barrel bored out to .260 rem (264-08)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 12:00:19 PM »

Hello Welcome to the site, I think it would be possible Unless 260 cass was smaller at the shoulder.
 I have not seen Diamitions of 260. If it smaller than 243, then go with 223 barrel.
 I used 223 barrel for my 25-35 . 243 was to large at the shoulder Good Luck.
 I am sure Quick will be on soon to tell for sure. Marv.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
Steve'e pages are offline right now, so I can't show a dimensional comparison, but I did get to ammoguide and compare them, the .243 would make a fine donor barrel, the chamber would need little if any modification, they both have the same dimensions at the shoulder, they don't show the shoulder angle, but they looked the same. Just decide on which barrel you want to use, the 22" or a 24" bull or fluted bull, I'd probably opt for the fluted.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 01:44:30 PM »
Where do you see a reference for a 243 fluted bull barrel?  I could not find any listed.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 01:50:30 PM »
It's been available for over a year, they have so many errors on their web site, it's ridiculous!! The fluted barrels are listed in the Ultras on the accessory barrel list.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 05:01:37 PM »

Swageall, Olny other thing, I know somebody just have to have certain things.
 But it would be a cheeper to get a 7-08 factory barrel rather than bore the
 243 to 260! just my 2 cents. Marv.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 06:07:02 PM »
Any sporter barrel can be rebored as long there is enough barrel wall. The 260 has the same case shape as the 243 and the same 20 deg shoulder.

The chamber will remain only a new neck and throat will be reamed. No problem using a 243.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 12:46:44 AM »

Swageall, I will say it is a 260 Rem wanted,  Go for it,  I did . I Wanted 25-35!
 Best of luch let us know how you come out, Marv.

Offline RugerNo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 04:00:50 PM »
With only .017" to be removed for a rebore, I'd check with the smith doing the work. They might like a little more meat on the side then .0085" available in the 243. A 22-250 barrel is more like it.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 07:18:27 PM »

I've looked at having this caliber conversion done for me...from a couple of sources...and when I get to it...it will be made out of a 24" bull barrel 223 barrel...Here's why...just doing a rebore is ok...but to have a truely better gun...you want a chamber that is perfect as well...For just a-little more...you can have it...Order a ejector/extractor for a 243...have your new chamber cut...and specify tighter than average dimensions...and a cut rifle barrel...however you want it finished...and have a superb all around custom barreled Handi...If you want it stainless...then get one in it...you want a lighter barrel...that too is possible...The 260 is inherently accurate...and if the chamber/bore is perfect...you will be more than pleased with the results..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Swageall

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 12:28:56 PM »
Thanks for all for the info and suggestions on building a .243 win. NEF barrel into a .260 Remington barrel.

I was courious as to how much interest or info there would be in building a project like this. Too bad NEF doesn't make a barrel in this caliber.

I think I will stick with the .243 win chambered barrel for a test conversion as there is less work involved. This will just be a test barrel for shooting the heaver .264 bullets in different weights and ogives.

First bullets down the NEF tube will be 90 to 120 grain VLD's in a 12s ogive with a .030 offset,(which I now shoot in my TC) followed by some 15s with a .020 offset in 120 grain to 160 grains. Will find out how they do in the longer barrel and record results.

In building the barrel, the first pass will be a .2450 counter bore to remove the rifling, followed by two reaming passes, one at .2490 and a finish ream at .2560. Then I will be able to Cut in my rifling in an 8 groove patteren instead of the normal 6 groove..  I figgure .008" for rifling, .004" to a side then a little neck and throat reaming should give me a barrel good enough for shooting .264 experiments with.  Cutting in Cut and scrape rifling is more work, (makes my arm sore) but the only way to go in my opinon compared to the other methods around.  I guess it depends on the tooling available, the shooter, and what he is looking for.

Thanks again, I appreceate your ideas and info.

Will post pictures later when I am finished building and testing.

swageall

one at a time --- LRBC

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 05:32:33 PM »

Thanks for all for the info and suggestions on building a .243 win. NEF barrel into a .260 Remington barrel.

I was courious as to how much interest or info there would be in building a project like this. Too bad NEF doesn't make a barrel in this caliber.

I think I will stick with the .243 win chambered barrel for a test conversion as there is less work involved. This will just be a test barrel for shooting the heaver .264 bullets in different weights and ogives.

First bullets down the NEF tube will be 90 to 120 grain VLD's in a 12s ogive with a .030 offset,(which I now shoot in my TC) followed by some 15s with a .020 offset in 120 grain to 160 grains. Will find out how they do in the longer barrel and record results.

In building the barrel, the first pass will be a .2450 counter bore to remove the rifling, followed by two reaming passes, one at .2490 and a finish ream at .2560. Then I will be able to Cut in my rifling in an 8 groove patteren instead of the normal 6 groove..  I figgure .008" for rifling, .004" to a side then a little neck and throat reaming should give me a barrel good enough for shooting .264 experiments with.  Cutting in Cut and scrape rifling is more work, (makes my arm sore) but the only way to go in my opinon compared to the other methods around.  I guess it depends on the tooling available, the shooter, and what he is looking for.

Thanks again, I appreceate your ideas and info.

Will post pictures later when I am finished building and testing.

swageall

Does this mean that you are doing this yourself?  I am curious, I am trying to figure out why it is easier for you. Either way, yes it will fire if you rechamber the 243, but it will be far from optimum. The 243 is slightly longer at the Shoulder-neck junction & O.A.L., yes it will go bang, but case life will not be as good & you will not be able to clean the chamber/make it PERFECTLY straight with the bore, which would be a good thing for any factory rifle, be it a Handi, Rem.700 or any other.

As Mac stated above, it would be much better to rebore the 24" 223 barrel & your potential to get super accuracy will be dramatically increased.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Swageall

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 07:08:04 PM »
nomosendero;

Yes I am reboring and rifling my own barrel, and it is easier for me using a bull barrel as I prefer them when centering a barrel in the barrel reaming lathe and rifling lathes I have access to. I am only interested in a test barrel for the .264 diameter bullets that I swage myself. I am not looking for any super accuracy nor do I care about case life as they will fire form to the chamber. As far as making the chamber straight enough in relation to the bore, a little careful neck and throat reaming should do the trick. When I am finished with it, we'll see how it shoots. -- Remember --, this rebore and rerifle is only to test fire some .264 bullets through a longer barrel then my T/C pistol, not to shoot paper with or hunt with.  Afterwards, it will probably be rebored again for other test bullets and eventually be cut in half and thrown away so it can't be used for anything else.

If I was after super accuracy in a keeper barrel, I would use a .223 barrel like you and Mac advise, but why buy a new barrel when I have access to a .243 bull barrel for a few dollars.

Thanks for your imput;

swageall
one at a time --- LRBC

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 07:26:21 PM »
nomosendero;

Yes I am reboring and rifling my own barrel, and it is easier for me using a bull barrel as I prefer them when centering a barrel in the barrel reaming lathe and rifling lathes I have access to. I am only interested in a test barrel for the .264 diameter bullets that I swage myself. I am not looking for any super accuracy nor do I care about case life as they will fire form to the chamber. As far as making the chamber straight enough in relation to the bore, a little careful neck and throat reaming should do the trick. When I am finished with it, we'll see how it shoots. -- Remember --, this rebore and rerifle is only to test fire some .264 bullets through a longer barrel then my T/C pistol, not to shoot paper with or hunt with.  Afterwards, it will probably be rebored again for other test bullets and eventually be cut in half and thrown away so it can't be used for anything else.

If I was after super accuracy in a keeper barrel, I would use a .223 barrel like you and Mac advise, but why buy a new barrel when I have access to a .243 bull barrel for a few dollars.

Thanks for your imput;

swageall

Seems like a lot of work for just a test barrel for a Condender :D :D :D :D :D...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...