Author Topic: Handi .223 Range Report/Reloads  (Read 1128 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Handi .223 Range Report/Reloads
« on: September 28, 2006, 08:43:31 AM »
I finally found a recipe that shoots consistantly accurate in my Handi: 27.5 gr of H335 under 40 gr. Hornady Vmax's. Four three shot groups average 0.7 inches with max group size of 1.075 inches, min group size 0.3 inches. POI does not move a bit. After modifications I can now support the rifle on the forestock instead of at the hinge pin. This makes it allot easier to get good groups.

McLernon

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi .223 Range Report/Reloads
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 08:54:41 AM »
Thanks, that's great news!! I'm writing this one down for future reference!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »
Hi  McLernon.
Have not seen you post for a while. How did you fix the forearm.

Mine are fixed the same way, I can't stand resting the the rifle on the hing pin.
Had to do a tightning up job on my 6x47 because of hinge pin set back.

It is shooting great again now. It is sticking around a 1/2" most of the time. I am just in the process making some ammo for the 257 Roberts to get it ready for deer hunting. I got six deer tags so I am planing to use six rifles one for each deer.

A bit of mud slinging in Toronto, Domi and Linda, can you imagine? She is some tramp.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »
Hi Fred:

I bought a Remington 750 semi this spring in .308 so I have been playing with it and hanging around the semi forum here trying to pick up some wisdom on semi's.Also I have been trying to learn how to shoot off-hand better. I have been keeping an eye on things though on this forum!! I stumbled on this load for my Handi while I was at the range one day two weeks ago so I have been trying different support techniques. It now shoots well with support under the fore-stock. I bedded the barrel AND barrel-lug to the frame at the four obvious locations using aluminum powder and epoxy, had a gunsmith install a steel pillar so I get metal-to-metal fit-up at the front screw, shimmed in front of the spacer and free-floated the barrel in front of the screw. I think this helped to dampen out undesirable vibration and generally 'snugged' things up.

I would like to get another Handi in .204 Ruger Ultra(if there is such a thing) and play with it but availability is a problem here.

(Politicians like to play I guess!!)

Regards

McLernon

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 05:08:01 PM »
McLernon.
Try Wholesale Sports in Calgay the do mail orders and sell Handis, you might be lucky, they are a big gun dealers. 403 253-5566

www.wholesalesports.com
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 07:51:10 PM »
I don't recall this ever mentioned here, though it might have, has anyone tried reduced loads out of their 223?
Just curious, as my manuels say it can be loaded down to 22mag levels.
I know what your thinking, why load a 223 down when we strive to reach as much velocity accurately as possible?  Versitility of course ;D and not to mention I would love to take my 223 squirrel hunting.
-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline myarmor

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 08:29:44 PM »
Humm... BlueDot, Guess I'll have to pick up a can and try it out. Thanks Tim. I didn't see anywhere on the Hodgdon link mentioning 223 reduced loads in specific though ???
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php

EDIT- I did a search on reduced loads and found some good info, there are a few more, but these are just 2.
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/
http://survival.com/IVB/index.php?showtopic=7937

Seems BlueDot is the over all better way to go 8)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 05:08:39 AM »
Here's some more, Aaron. ;)

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/addata.htm

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 05:16:37 AM »
Reduced loads look interesting. Moderate loads work pretty well in mine with a velocity of about 2900 fps but would like to get it up so will try that 40 grain load. Has anyone ever tried one of those rubber vibration reducers you slide on to the barrel with the 223? Can't remember what they are called. Not sure they'd fit or work well on a bull barrel.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 05:43:54 AM »
Has anyone ever tried one of those rubber vibration reducers you slide on to the barrel with the 223? Can't remember what they are called. Not sure they'd fit or work well on a bull barrel.

They fit the bull barrels fine, use a little WD40 and they slide right on, the hard part is getting it off!! I've used mine on a couple rifles, it didn't help the ammo the didn't shoot well in my .243 Ultra Varmint, and it didn't hurt how good stuff shoots, didn't make it shoot better either. It may help with enough experimentation, it's just an inexpensive tuner, a poor man's BOSS, if you will. Mac tried one on a Weatherby bolt gun, cut his group size from 1½" to  ¾" with no other changes.

Tim

Offline myarmor

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 11:15:42 AM »
Here's some more, Aaron. ;)

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/addata.htm

Interesting site there Tim, thanks buddy. I going to go pick up a can of BlueDot on Monday and see how she does with the lighter loads of it.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 03:58:37 PM »
Hi Fred:

I thought about Wholesale sports. I have always gotten good service from them. I get allot of reloading stuff from them, but I am reluctant to order a Handi sight-unseen. The concern being that the barrel lock-up might not be good. Before I purchased my first Handi I had the folks at Bass-Pro remove the forestock so I could check for tightness. Nobody around here has any Handi's at all. They say they can't get them. I would love to get an Ultra in .204 and tune it. I think the .204 is a great long range varmint cartridge that rivals the 22-250.

I will keep a look out for one and hope.

McLernon

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 05:35:33 PM »
McLernon

You want me to get one for you, I can check it out make sure it is tight, and then have them do the paper work and send it to you. I know several guys pretty good in the store.

I have the 2006 catalog. They list an Ultra Varmint fluted 24" barrel. It has the black skelleton stock with a forearm rail for a bi-pod.

The Ultra Varmint does not come in 204.

Then they have the Handi in 204 (SB2-204) 22" bull barrel varmint. You are not loosing much with the 22" barrel. A 23" will give max vel.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 04:01:19 AM »
Hi Fred:

That is a very generous offer Fred and much appreciated. I can phone the order in and have them hold it for your inspection. I think that I also need to send them my PAL. I haven't purchased a rifle in over a year so I don't know if they need to be registered. I definitely want to take you up on your kind offer!!

I will phone them and start the process on the bull barrel .204 next Friday on my day off.

I will PM you the details. Thanks allot Fred. I will be in touch.

Regards

McLernon

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 12:58:05 PM »
You got a PM to act on.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.