Author Topic: Watermelon VS. Vmax  (Read 876 times)

Offline cpj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Watermelon VS. Vmax
« on: September 29, 2006, 03:05:51 PM »
Here is a still of it:

The melon wasnt much bigger than a cantelope, and it was shot at about 10 feet. I cant edit my videos, so I had to do it close otherwise there would have been several minutes of just watching it sit there. Oh, .223 with a 55 grain Vmax out of my survivor,BTW.
Here is the video:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Watermelon VS. Vmax
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 03:13:34 PM »
Kewl!!! You'd make R Lee proud!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 03:17:18 PM »
This weekend I plan on shooting a similar sized melon with .223 FMJ bullets, just to see the difference. Then I have a 35 pound melon that will also go the way of the one man firing squad. ;D

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »
10 feet? Did you wear some of that melon home with you? Who was that comic who used to smash melons with a big hammer so they splattered all over the folks in the front row?

Last weekend I shot a large can of stewed tomatos with a 223 soft point at about 25 yds. It vaporised. My wife's comment was - "Hmmm....Now I guess they're 'pureed' tomatos."

That's one nice thing about keeping lots of canned goods around for emergency supplies - You do have to rotate out the old stuff every couple of years. Creamed corn is the best target food...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 05:23:28 AM »
That comic was Gallagher

Nice reactive targets, both fruits & veggies and the canned goods as well, but you don't have any cans to pick up with the fresh stuff. Either way the rest of the target feeds the four leggers... fun for everyone!

A few years back some member at my range brought up a bunch of pumpkins for targets, which got blown all over the surrounding weedy areas. Next year a wild pumpkin patch grew there and it's been re-seeding itself ever since.
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline Lives2hunt

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 11:44:23 AM »
Watermelon are my favorite fruit and it brings tears to my eyes to see a small melon blasted into a bazillion pieces. But at least it didn't waste away in the refrigerator. Cool picture by the way. I am off to eat the remainder of a seedless milionaire waiting in the refrigerator for me to appreaciate. Will most likely be the last watermelon I have this year. :( :(l
Will hunt for food.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 02:26:25 AM »
Some of my farmer customers gave me a bunch of watermelons, some became overripe before we could eat them, soooo I shot some with my AR with the 60V-Max & some with the 55gr. FMJ. The difference was dramatic!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 06:04:54 AM »
Watermelon are my favorite fruit and it brings tears to my eyes to see a small melon blasted into a bazillion pieces. But at least it didn't waste away in the refrigerator. Cool picture by the way. I am off to eat the remainder of a seedless milionaire waiting in the refrigerator for me to appreaciate. Will most likely be the last watermelon I have this year. :( :(l
These were from my garden, and they were over ripe. Matter of fact, we had to toss 4 or 5 30+ pounders that we let go to long. :(