Author Topic: New from Dallas  (Read 561 times)

Offline Randy Buie

• Trade Count: (0)
New from Dallas
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »
Gents,

That was a very impressive report indeed. It supports my notion that I should hook up with a club before firing my new BP cannons.

I've been a collector of carbide/acetylene cannons ("Big Bang") and antique display types for quite a while, but this is will be the first time to use an actual charge of black powder. I've read a lot about it, but that is no substitution for an experienced veteran by your side.

Perhaps this is the wrong string to address my situation... couldn't find anything for newbies. I figured that following up on a horrible accident report would the most logical place to start as an alternative.

My question: Where can I find a group in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that can help me out? And... is there a section in this forum that would be more appropriate for this kind of discussion?

Thanks !!!...

... Randy

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Cannon accident investigation report
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 11:43:21 AM »
... couldn't find anything for newbies.

The whole forum is for newbies.  When you have a question, post it (if they get the search working better, I would say search first but it isn't a lot of help right now.)  A major part of the forum mission is helping beginners not repeat the errors we made from trial and error development.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Randy Buie

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:55:43 PM »
Thanks for that prompt response. I'm looking forward to exploring this forum and learning how to navigate to what I need to know.

... Randy

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 03:03:51 PM »
Welcome Randy!!! And please if you have any questions please ask.

Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: New from Dallas
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 03:54:29 PM »
Hi Randy and welcome our little niche in the internet.  Pull up your keyboard and make yourself at home.

May I suggest you read the Sticky's at the top of the board to get started. Shooting muzzleloading cannons is not like shooting a big over sized muzzleloader.  There  is a completely different set of internal ballistics  involved.  I suggest you read up on cannon shooting before you start shooting.  The recommended  reading is THE MORE COMPLETE CANNONEER  By M.C. Switlik with selected excerpts from other artillery manuals

Switlik covers all aspectes of cannon shooting both big ones and little ones and is a must have if you are a cannon shooter or want to be a cannon shooter. 

The book can be ordered from these two suppliers for around $20 by clicking on these hotlinks:

As far as Cannon Shooting Clubs around the Dallas Area I don't know of any.  Why don't you start one. 

Later this morning I will be shooting in the South African Miniature Cannon Club Shot.  These folks have been shooting for over 30 years.  They have rules  set out but nobody has seen them for years.  Every one know them rules  and they just follow them.  I am going to try and gather them up and get them posted here on this board. 

These rules might serve as a a good base to start your own club.  We could even start a Digital cannon shoot right here on the board if there was an interest.

Offline Randy Buie

Re: New from Dallas
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 03:10:53 AM »
Gents,

Thanks for all your help so far. I'll be ordering the book today. I'll be in touch.

... Randy