Author Topic: What Caliber?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Aaro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What Caliber?
« on: September 30, 2006, 04:34:15 PM »
I am planing on buying my first and only pistol. Unlike my rifle collection I would like to get only one pistol in one caliber but I am having trouble deciding on what to get. On one side I have my dad telling me to get a .357 because it's a real gun and has enough stopping power. Then on the other hand I have my grandpa telling me to get a 22lr because its more convient and has all the killing power I ever need. My thoughts are that I like the idea of the power that the .357 has but the cost of ammo and mainly the loudness is what turns me off I would have the option of going deer hunting with it but dont think I ever would because of the loudness also in a self defense situiaton I would have no doubts as to its ability to stop whoever or whatever was coming at me. Then the 22LR its more quiet but I dont have the option of deer hunting also in a self defense issue granted I wouldnt want to be shot  with it I still would doubt its abilbty to stop someone or something expically if it were pissed off. Both of these pistols were double action revolvers and were equally fun to shoot howerver I would have to give the 22 the more pleasurable to shoot simply because of loudness and cheapness of ammo cost. I have been considering getting a 22mag and that would make me feel alittle better about the self defense issues but not much better. So what do yall have to suggest? Is there an option that I am missing? By the way dont get the idea that Deer hunting is a must it is only a extra if possible.
"If guns kill people I can blame mispelled words on my pencil"
                                                             -Larry The Cable Guy :-D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: What Caliber?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 04:50:10 PM »
Everyone SHOULD start with a .22 LR handgun. Then later you can decide if you want more or another. Why do you feel you'll never own but one?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Aaro

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 05:28:20 PM »
I just need one for all general purposes. I just dont want to go into buying pistols like I gone into rifles. I have 5 and see no end in sight. Yeah in reality I will more than likely buy another pistol because I do entend on getting a carry permit. I think I am going with a Ruger Single six with the 22lr and 22mag cyclender.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 05:34:36 PM »
FIVE? I dunno just how many I have at this time but in the last 50 years I've gone thru at least 400 or more handguns and long guns combined. I lost count too many years ago to even worry about it anymore. I kept a log of guns bought, sold and traded for 15 years or so and stopped over 20 years ago. At that time I'd owned over 200 and for sure I've had a lot more since than before that time.

Ya only live once, so ya got to grab all the gusto you can while you're here. Heck I've only bought three this week, I think.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Aaro

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 05:45:43 PM »
I get what you are saying but I also am only 18 so I have a long while to keep going and there are alot of calibers that I would like to try. ;)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 06:12:27 PM »
At 18 you definitely should go with the .22LR. Get a good one and it will last your entire life. If you DON'T do as I did and trade them off you can amass a nice collection of good shooting guns and still not break the bank. If I had all the money I've spent on guns and lost in trades over the last 35 years I could buy a nice size chunk of hunting land most likely. Be smart, buy smart and hold on to what you buy like it was gold.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 06:41:37 PM »
OK, I'm a gun nut, but minor league compared with Graybeard. I only have 30 or so at this time. Everyone who is in to firearms as a sport or hobby NEEDS a good .22 pistol. You can plink all day for next to nothing, and good practice is good practice regardless of caliber. So get a good .22 first. It's tons of fun.

However, every citizen has the right to protect his or her self, and home, from the criminal element of our society. If you plan to get a carry permit when you are old enough, I suggest then you get a good .357 revolver. Sure it's loud. What full grown centerfire handgun isn't? I suggest the .357 simply because of its versatility. One gun with three levels of power: .38 Special, .38+P, and .357 mag. With centerfire ammo, the .38 is pretty darn cheap, and again, you can afford to practice. The .357 mag ammo goes from light 110-gr. stuff, to 125-gr high-speed-super-duper-man-stopping-loads, to 158-gr., and 180-gr deer dropping rounds. Plus, a revolver is easy to load fast with speedloaders, and the grip is always easy to handle because there is no magazine inside to make it bigger than it needs to be. And of course, as every one who likes wheelguns says, if it ever goes "click" instead of "bang" you only have to pull the trigger again. You don't have to clear a jam or find out why it didn't work first.

You mentioned maybe a .22 mag for self-defense. Look at the price of .22 mag ammo. Around here it's about the same as .38 Sp. ammo, so why not get a .38 instead? Just as easy to shoot, and makes bigger holes! So for self-defense, don't even think about the .22 mag.

You said you only want one. I'm suggesting two. If you can stop with just two . . . you've got more will power than I've ever had! (I don't think you can do it. Not if you really love shootin'!)

Good luck.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 10:06:11 PM »

Aaro, Yes to what they all said,,,, Even Griz ;D ;D ;D.......Joe............
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 12:28:28 AM »
Where, OH where have I heard this said--"This will be the only one I need/want/will ever buy."
It seems to be an echo in this hollow head of mine. ::) :-[
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 12:46:12 PM »
If I were starting out or starting over (again) I would start with the 357.  Versatility in a decent sized package.  I would also purchase a reloder for it.  And a couple of bullet molds.  Forget about jacketed bullets, use ones you cast yourself.  Go ahead and use some factory ammo if you want but save the cases. 

Start with 38 wadcutter ammo.  Recoil is about nil and not much louder than rimfire.  Progress from there.  Heck you might find, as I did, that after firing all the magnum stuff and loading my cases up to the gills that I actually preferred the wadcutters for everything I would use a 35 caliber handgun for!

There is a lot of info and a lot of recipes for loads out there, particularily for the 38/357. 

A good 22 is a lot of gun but a good 357 is more of the same.

Aaro, I could write for days about the 357 but in the end the choice will be yours.

My vote, for versatility, cost and accuracy will fall on the side of the 357.

Have fun.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline Mack the Knife

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 03:27:34 PM »
For what is worth, I have been loading & shooting for 60 years. I vote for the 38/357 revolver.
At this time, I have at least 6 diff rev in this caliber,also one sweet little 16" bbl lever action
clone of the Win mod 1892. I will take these to the grave with me. Or I won't go.
Have fun,live long. 
MacktheKnife, another hobby
Life Time NRA
60 year loader&shooter
WA2UCJ

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 02:15:17 AM »
I'm just now going through the same thing, but I'm probably a few months ahead of you. I took CCW training and discussed this with the instructor. His advice was to plan on 2 guns: initially a good .22 for training and practice, and then the for real carry gun. I purchased a new Ruger Single Six in .22LR/.22WMR and use it for practice. It allows me to work on technique because of low noise/recoil and the cheap ammo isn't a bad thing either. So far I've put 1500 rounds through it and feel that I'm finally getting the technique down as my groups are fairly tight and consistent. I shoot 100-150 rounds at each of 7 and 25 yards each time out and gon't get fatigued or broke doing it.

I'm now into shopping for the carry gun. I do not intend to use the .22 for carry, even though it has .22WMR capability. Your grandfather is right if you're good enough for an eyeball shot in a combat situation, but as a practical matter the only way a .22 will stop someone intent on doing GBH (great bodily harm) is if you have time to empty it and you're shooting .22 mag hollow points, IMHO.

The choice of caliber for the carry gun pretty much boils down to how good a shot you are, and I don't think I'm that good, especially under attack. As for noise, that can actually be an advantage in that situation, so unlike you, I WANT a loud carry gun. There's lots of debate about the best round for a one shot stop, and I've decided to go with .357 mag as that's how I interpret the data. Frankly, one good hit with anything from .38 Spec +P through .44 mag, including .40 s&W, .357 mag, 9mm, etc. should give you enough time for a second killing shot if needed, so there really is no one single magic bullet. I think the .357 mag has good credentials as far as doing damage to an attacker, and I can afford to practice, both in terms of dollars and effect on the old body, with it using cheaper ammo than the combat stuff.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Now, what that's all lead me to is trying to find the "right" .357 - one that fits my hand and can also carry without printing. There are lots and lots of candidates, but so far it's Ruger's SP101 (KXP321XL), S&W's Model 649 or a Taurus 850 or 851. Gotta get my hands on some and bust some caps before I make my final decision, however.

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 02:23:18 AM »
One more thing: I should have added that, once I have the carry gun, my practice sessions will still use the .22. I plan to continue to shoot 200-300 rounds at the two distances with the .22 to keep reinforcing the muscle memory, and then put some number (TBD) through the carry gun at both distances at the end of the session to ensure some proficiency with that frame and load. So, in the long run, 2 guns still make sense, one for practice/proficiency, and one for the hopefully unthinkable attack event.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 11:38:14 AM »
FIVE? I dunno just how many I have at this time but in the last 50 years I've gone thru at least 400 or more handguns and long guns combined.

Ya only live once, so ya got to grab all the gusto you can while you're here. Heck I've only bought three this week, I think.

GB'

only bought three this week ? ? ?

there's just one word to describe a guy like you:

+
+
+
+

AMATEUR !  :o  :o   :o

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 11:46:09 AM »
First pistol I ever shot was a Ruger Security Six in .357 with .38s in it.  I was about 3 or 4.  I still have that gun and it's a great gun.  That started a 'love affair' with the .357 caliber.  I have 3 now, the Ruger, a S&W model 640 and a T/C Contender.  All a great in their own ways.  The .357 is ALMOST all the pistol you'll ever need.  Certainly all you'll ever need in a general purpose gun.  Noise shouldn't be a factor because you're wearing muffs, RIGHT???  Under duress, you'll never hear it.

All that said, I'd never trade my Ruger Single Six.  I've got the same gun you're talking about and it's a shooter.  Get the .22 for now.  You'll never regret it.

You can always get a .357 later...

or a .44 or a .45 or a 9mm or ......
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline kidolds

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »
I have differnt calibers large and small, I keep buying and selling P89s in a 9mm. One thing to think about is this gun for Hunting, selfdefense or CCW. For CCw a 9mm. cheap to shoot. Ruger does make a 357 that will shot 9mm like the 22/22mag That might be a option you can look at. But it comes back to what you want to do with the gun. Buy quality

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 05:45:42 PM »
AMATEUR !

Perhaps but I think it was five the week before.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 06:41:43 PM »
My first Handgun was a Single Six over 25 years ago and I just took it out last Friday and put a box of 22s through it. Still a great gun! Get a quality .22 first.
NRA Lifer

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 12:37:58 AM »
It will NEVER stop at one handgun!!! HI My name is Mike and I'm a gun oholic ;D

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 02:57:26 AM »
My first handgun was a S&W Model 27-2 in .357 mag. It worked for me because I had access to military .38 special, which was loaded light. I think a good .22 of similar configuration to your main gun would be advantageous. I recently bought a 6” S&W 617 .22 to go with the 27 I got 30 yrs ago. I also have a Single Six to go with my .45 Blackhawks.
I wouldn’t worry too much about what you get first. It probably won’t be your last.
What you may as well learn early is that a .22 is fun in its own right. I had a heart bypass this summer, and the restrictions on my activity allowed me to shoot .22s only. I rediscovered the fun of the .22. You may as well discover it early.
Tom

Offline dr mac

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 11:23:26 AM »
Choosing a handgun presents similar choices to longarms.  You wouldn't go duck hunting with a .22 rifle or elk hunting in the mountains with a 12 gauge.

My own choices reflect a consideration of the proper tool for the job, eg a Ruger Mark III .22 for practice and plinking,  a Walther PPK .380 for extremely concealed carry used in mostly social situations, a Sig 229 in .357 Sig for concealed carry for places where I won't be in social situations, a Ruger Security Six in .357 for a hunting sidekick and in .38 special for practice and doubles for home defense.

Hope this helps.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »
I'm with CJ on this one , my first handgun was a single six , had to have my stepdad sign for it because i was only 18 , weird world , i could buy 22 shells as long as i told them that they were for a rifle .

Get the best 22 that you can afford , then think about a centerfire .

JMHO

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 11:57:42 PM »
single six is the one. Buy it shoot about 10000 rounds through it by then you might be able to even hit something with it. Then if you feel the need for more power buy a bigger gun. If you only want one sell the single six and use the money to buy the bigger gun. Id about bet you wont want to part with the single six though.
blue lives matter

Offline 45Super

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 03:05:13 AM »
  For your first handgun, I would go with a Ruger MK II Target 22 LR. I`ts a well made,dependable , accurate, and are fun to shoot!! For the money, you can`t find a better handgun. I`t will last you a lifetime. Welcome to the world of Handguns!!!!!!  ;D
Keep Your Eyes To The Sky, And Your Powder Dry!!      :sniper:

Offline lefty red

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 02:20:15 PM »
22lr rifles and handguns are STAPLES, not choices!  Everyone should have at least one.

ANd i'll burst the bubble on the stuff these guys are feeding you!  You WON'T stop at one caliber.  Especially if you cast reloading, and casting.

But, get the 22lr, anything on the market is minute of squirrel accurate at 25 yards.  Then the 357 mag.  Then......better get a list started now....

Lefty ;D 
I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I ain't never been lost in my life, been a might confused for a month or so.....

Pilgram, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear.....

Don't run little squirrel, you'll only die tired....

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 05:51:45 AM »
Only want one?  Hmmmmm.  I think we have all used that line.  'Honey, please let me get this one, it's that last one I will ever need, honest!'  Then you get that knowing smile.  Busted!   Start with a .22 followed shortly by a .357 or .38.  When in my 20's, I used to come up to the farm every weekend and shoot at least 3 or 4 boxes of .22 and usually a couple of boxes of .38 reloads.  When you get those mastered, buy a .44 Mag.  You HAVE to keep the .22 and If you are smart, you will keep the .38 also as you move up.  All of us have fallen into the trap of selling one to get the next.  A decision I guarntee you will regret further down the line.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 05:59:56 AM »
Handguns create the fever... I think we have all felt it.  My first was a browning buck mark in a .22lr, and now I'm up to 7 and already have about 8 more than I'm "gonna buy" when money permits.  Start with the .22lr, you might think about something like a ruger single six which can take the .22mag, just to practice with more power, and itll take bigger birds, coyotes, etc.  This is the best to start with, after that move up to something .357mag at a minimum if you are thinking of hunting deer, etc with it.  If you feel you want something bigger to impress (.454, .475, .460, .500, etc) have at.  Just make sure that you have experience with calibers before you buy them.  Start making friends with the "gun folk" in your area, so you can get a chance to put some rounds through their weapons.  That way you can actually know your limits of comfort with a gun before you make a commitment.  Remember though, guns aren't wives, they can be traded.  (some ex-husbands will also disagree with me on this one)   ;D
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 11:00:28 AM »
I am planing on buying my first and only pistol. Unlike my rifle collection I would like to get only one pistol in one caliber but I am having trouble deciding on what to get.

If our Creator had intended you to only buy one handgun He wouldn't have given you two hands!

Please get back 'online' and tell us that you now own at least THREE OF 'EM!

:o :o :o
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 03:03:44 PM »
Lots of wisdom and experience here, and I'm not about to buck their trend, because they're right.  You need a 22, a good one, and then a 357, so you can use it for everything a handgun is good for.  Then you need a 44, you can shoot Specials for fun and practice, and magnums for hunting and just because.  Other choices will rear their pretty heads, and you should buy those, too.  Trigger time, with ANYTHING, will make you a better shooter.  And that's the best reward there is!

Papajohn, proud parent of four GOOD shooters.  And not a bad pistol shot, either.  Leading by example can be fun!
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?