Author Topic: 460 Accuracy problems  (Read 645 times)

Offline kidolds

• Trade Count: (0)
460 Accuracy problems
« on: October 01, 2006, 02:34:36 PM »
I have a 15inch T/C encore in a 460. First the recoil is out of this world I love it. But at 23 dollars a box. hitting what i aim at is a problem. I Have it scoped with a Weaver 4X, 25yds dead on past that it is all over. I am using a bag and rest to shoot off of. (I am trying to replace my max. I am shooting MOA 100yds with the max.) I am shooting 200gr Hornadya sst the pattern at 50 yds will be 6in high and the a foot to the right; when i go back to 25yds i shoot 3inch groups;  can anyone give some helpfull advice?

Offline Prebanpaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: 460 Accuracy problems
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 05:10:18 PM »
QUIT FLENCHING.  JUST KIDDING.  YOUR SCOPE IS YOUR PROBLEM.  I HAVE A 500. COULD NOT GET IT TO SIGHT IN. FOUND OUT THE WEAVER SCOPE MOUNT  WAS WORTHLESS. I DESTROYED IT. I HAD TO GET A STEEL MOUNT AND VERY VERY GOOD RINGS. I BET IF YOU MARK YOUR SCOPE IT IS MOVING.
LUCK when preperation meets opportunity.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:23:12 AM »
With my 460 Encore barrel I had achieved my best accuracy with reloads. The 240 gr. Hornady XTP Mag's and Nosler 260 gr. partition and 300 gr. hard cast bullets gave me the best accuracy.

In my Encore barrel the 200 gr. Hornady factory rounds would never shoot well, but they did in my S&W 460 Mag. If you are getting MOA at 100 yards with the Max loads, you may want to start reloading and find a good load with the bullet you want to use. It does not sound like a scope or mount problem, because you said the Max rounds did well.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline kidolds

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »
Thank you for the help. The rings are millit. the base is weaver. I have a 100 rounds to start on my reloading, i think i will give it a try, do you have some starting pionts? I use IMR4227 in the max. would this be a good powder to start with? My goal is 200yd 4inc grops or better of a bag,and 2inc or better off my sticks at 150.

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:14:26 PM »
kidolds
   Plus there is that little trick S&W did with the rifling on the pistol to get them 200 gr to shoot right! Progressive twist rate- I bet your TC is just a standard twist which will not work with the 200 gr slugs! Try a heavier bullet wt- say 300 gr and see how they shoot! ;)
One shot , One Kill

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:23:30 PM »
Thank you for the help. The rings are millit. the base is weaver. I have a 100 rounds to start on my reloading, i think i will give it a try, do you have some starting pionts? I use IMR4227 in the max. would this be a good powder to start with? My goal is 200yd 4inc grops or better of a bag,and 2inc or better off my sticks at 150.

I only use H110 in my 460 Mag. I have not tried the IMR4227.

Also 454 Puma made a good observation that the S&W have the Gain twist rifling and the T/C has the standard twist.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 12:44:53 AM »
I have tried IMR 4227 and it didn't work as well for me as H110.

I have also had success with heavier bullets than the 200 grainers.  I will probably experiment a bit more with them however especially if and when Hornady makes their pointy bullets available to the reloading public.

Offline kidolds

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 11:47:09 AM »
I spoke to my local dealer today, I am going to send the barrel back and get the gain twist barrel, T/C has some info i Guess thier is a differance between the first run and the new run of barrels. thanks for the info

Offline Dan Johnson

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 02:28:28 PM »
I spoke to my local dealer today, I am going to send the barrel back and get the gain twist barrel, T/C has some info i Guess thier is a differance between the first run and the new run of barrels. thanks for the info

Whoa up there, kido. You don't need a gain twist to shoot the 200 gr. bullets. True, production S&W .460's have it, but the S&W Perfomance center uses conventional twist barrels and they shoot just fine.