Author Topic: Oregon Trail Bullets  (Read 1591 times)

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Oregon Trail Bullets
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:03:01 AM »
If this has been asked before, please forgive me.
Could not get the search to work.

Are the Oregon Trail Bullets a good line of bullets?

Just a target shooter with 45-70 and 38-55.

What is a good reloading manual for cast bullets? 
New at cast reloading.

Thanks, Mike

Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Oregon Trail Bullets
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 02:35:31 PM »
 :-[ :-[ :-[

Just noticed our sponsor "Lead Bullets Technology",
I'll get an assortment from them.

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 05:31:23 PM »
Veral doesn't make bullets, he makes moulds so you can cast your own.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 06:51:12 AM »
Thanks Bill, found that out when I went there.
Do we have a sponsor that sells Cast Bullets?
If not, who sells the good ones?

I cannot cast my own right now.

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:30:11 AM »
I've shot them in my Blackhawk(45LC) in both 250gr and 300gr. Slow and pretty hot,hardly any leading. I don't know they do in rifles though. Hope this has helped some.

HWD

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 09:48:01 AM »
Nope Mike at this time we do not have a sponsor who makes and sells cast bullets. Midsouth Shooter's Supply does sell some brand as I recall from looking thru their catalog but I con't recall what brand.

Over the years we've had three cast bullet makers as advertisers. Two of them went out of business for health reasons and the last Creeker who posts as LAH moved and ended his sponsorship. Dunno if he's back up and making bullets again or not. Since I make my own I really have little to no experience with store bought cast bullets.

I'm sure some of the guys who do buy rather than cast will drop by and give you some names.

You might recall back to the first prairie dog shoot the guy who makes Leadhead Bullets was there and gave away some samples of his bullets. Dennis is high on them, he's the one who invited him. For the life of me I can't recall his name right now. He and his shooting partner were both there. I think that's the only brand Dennis uses.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I like Oregon Trail Bullets
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:14:44 PM »
I have used some OT bullets in my 41 mags. They seemed to be fine.  I never worked real hard to check accuracy though.  I burned them all up plinking and such.  They seemed a little less likely to lead my bores.  I'd buy them again when my supply of another brand runs out ( got these others as a bargain).   

The very best cast bullets I found for my 41 were some unknown brand I picked up at a small gun show in Redding Oregon while I was traveling.  They had purple lube on them and went about 215 gr. standard swc 41 mag bevel base design. Those shot more accurately in all my guns than any other cast bullets I've used. But I only bought 200 and have no idea who made them. And also my supply of AL8 ran out - might have been the powder too.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 07:49:38 AM »
Thanks guys,

Bill, I was one of the winners of Leadhead’s Bullets at the 1st P-Dog Shoot.  Tommy is the owner of Leadhead’s Bullets, he was a good man to talk to at the Shoot, very proud of his bullets.  Anyway my box of 500, 265gr .41 cal bullets, I just finished using them all up in a 414 Supermag TC barrel.  They were more accurate than any jacketed bullet that I tried in that barrel.   That is the reason I want to try other calibers of cast bullets now.  Since I have no previous experience with cast, just wanted to know the better companies.  Leadhead supplies bullets to CorBon now, and his website hasn’t been updated in 2 years, so I wasn’t sure if he is still in business with the little guys. 

Huntswithdogs and Dand, I just ordered 8 different bullets from Oregon Trail for a tryout.  Starting with 30 cal (170gr, 200gr), 41 cal (265gr), 44 cal (310gr), 45 cal (360gr, 430gr), 480 cal (355gr) and 500 cal (370gr).  Trying them in 30-30 Win H&R rifle, 41 Mag Ruger Blackhawk, 414 Supermag TC, 44 Mag H&R rifle, 454 Casull TC, 45-70 H&R BC, 480 Ruger TC, 500 S&W Mag H&R rifle.  Oregon Trail sent me an email that they were throwing in a copy of their loading manual.  Anyway, thanks for your input, Mike.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

Offline wills

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 03:24:26 PM »
You might try one of the custom casters.  Many commercial cast bullets may be harder than you want for your application.
http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 04:34:41 PM »
Grampa you might look here, I have shot with this fellow, he is a Powder shooter and knows these fine rifles and what they need.

I have seen his bullets. There good.
http://www.sagebrushproducts.com/ShootingProducts.htm

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 11:35:57 PM »
Hey Grampa,  keep me posted on the 265 gr 41 bullets. I've wanted to order some.  The OT bullets I used were about 215 gr. 

Since you are a 41 cal fan,  check out this Joe Cullison's 250 gr  jacketed bullets  jcunclejoe@aol.com.  I just sent a check for 200 to try.

I'm eager to try them and plan to post my results.  I've been wishing for a heavy jacketed bullet for my 41 Marlin. I'm also pretty happy with Cast Performance bullets in 41.

Cullison sent me some pictures and such- they look good and have 2 cannelures for SAAMI seating and seating out for guns that will handle it.  I think he also is using one of the wildcat 41 super mag type guns with these.  I think he's out hunting this coming week so he might not answer right away.  He tells me he was a tooling engineer for Nosler for 6 years.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Poolman

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 05:39:09 AM »
I have used Oregon Trail bullets for the last few years in my 94 Trapper and my Ruger Blackhawk. Both in 45 LC. I have no doughts that they will put down anything I'll run into in the Michigan woods. I only use them for hunting as the ones I shoot are the big heavy ones.
Poolman.

Offline Poolman

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 06:06:43 AM »
Hey Wills. I just left the Bull Shops website. Dan and the rest of the Congiolosi clan seem to be real salt of the earth people. I can't think of doing buisness with anyone more deserving. I'll be contacting them for my next purcheses.
Poolman.

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 03:19:14 PM »
Speaking of Leadhead Bullets, I recently got a load from Tom.............his .45 Colt caliber 270gr Keith SWC's. Got some in .452" & some in .454"just to see which would shoot better in my long as well as short guns. So far, My USFA SAA likes the .454's real good, but all his bullets are very well made. JD45

Offline ggeilman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 04:39:23 AM »
I just started reloading 45/70 with Oregon Trail lasercast 405gr. Have found them at least more accurate than factory, although I am still working on loads. They are at least cheap for target plinking!

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 06:10:34 AM »
Just found this thread, its a little cold but thought I would add my 2 cents.  I am just getting into cast bullets and searched the web for info.  Ended up at the Bull Shop.  Pullman is right, they are extremely helpful, I think we traded 6 e-mails before I placed and order.  Knowing I was new with lots of questions, he had suggestions/answers for all.  Have yet to shoot anything (ordered 170 grain keith for my .38 special and 200 grain RCBS for my 35 Whelen.  Have just finished loading up 50 rds of 38 and am in the process of loading 20 for the whelen.  Will post results right now with the cold snap (9 degrees) it may be a few weeks.

Note for all.  Without all the feedback one gets from this sight, I doubt that I would have ever tried cast.  I have been reloading for pistol and rifle for 35 yrs but just did not get into that part of it. 

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »
I loaded some Cast Performance 405 grn WFLNGC's in my 45 70 and they are very accurate, My next bullets will be the O T laser cast 405's  just because I want to try some, and they are less expensive. My Handy rifle handles the hard cast bullets so well I may never shoot jacketed bullets again.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"