Author Topic: Am I nuts or ummmmm??  (Read 526 times)

Offline xraze

• Trade Count: (0)
Am I nuts or ummmmm??
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:31:59 AM »
Just a thought occurred to me today I would like for you'll to all kick around..,
How many places nowadays sell the "returnable propane bottles" for your barbeques?? Ya know the exchange where you get ripped off?  Seems as I have been looking around my town the farm stores have it, wally world, home depot, lowes, fred meyer, others I'm sure.  Do regulations (state/fed) require them to have video surveillance 24/7?  Do ya think the potential exists for detonation of these "tank farms" by those who wish to do us harm?  Seems to me that a shoe box device with a cell phone for a detonator could potentially be a mess! Maybe I'm paranoid but gee whiz; kinda looks like a truck bomb sittin' in front of a hell of a lot of big stores with
lots of people in them at any given time.  Maybe I got nothin' to worry about, I don't know how resistant to detonation these canisters are.  Whatcha think?  xraze

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Am I nuts or ummmmm??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 12:01:11 PM »
    You have a point there X..but don't expect anything to be done about it before we have a related tragedy...human natuire being what it is..

A few years ago in Buffalo NY there was a propane tank stored on a second floor of an industrial building.

Some of the help tried to move the tank with a fork truck...knocked a fitting off..when that gas met it's first open flame it took out 2 or 3 blocks of the city..

Anyone else from Buffalo area want to comment !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:06:17 PM »
Most apartment & condo' complexes prohibit them and you are not allowed to travel threw most road tunnels with them so I would guess there is a pretty good potential for a big boom there. Not sure how easy it would be to set one off unless there were a leak in one or a valve was not closed all the way.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:04:51 PM »
I'm wondering about a tracer from a couple hundred yards... rupture the tanks... tracer sets off the gas...

scary...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline WylieKy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 02:40:03 AM »
I'm wondering about a tracer from a couple hundred yards... rupture the tanks... tracer sets off the gas...

scary...

ngh

It's not as impressive as it might seem.  One day when I was young, dumb, and full of money (for a 19 year old), me and some buddies went and bought a tank, put it on my buddies island in the middle of his pond.  I shot it wiith my 30.06 from about 225 yards with a tracer.  Flame shot out of both ends about 25-30ft until the gas was expended, but no explosion. I'd say it had something to do with lack of oxygen. However, I'd say if someone shot a few tanks with standard ammunition and let the gas spray for a few minuites, THEN shot it with a tracer, it would be like a fuel-air bomb.  We havn't tried that, yet. ;)

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.