Author Topic: NEF Youth Shotguns  (Read 578 times)

Offline Big Ol Gobbler

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF Youth Shotguns
« on: October 02, 2006, 12:57:22 PM »
I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this topic has already been covered. What is your opinion of the Pardner and Topper 20 gauge youth models? I'd like to get a shotgun for my daughter within the next couple of years... she's only six but very tall and solid. Some people have recommended a 12 gauge semi-auto as she might get gun-shy due to the recoil. I can't see spending that kind of money... I don't even have a semi. A quality single-shot seems more practical. What are your thoughts and/or experiences? Thanks for the input.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: NEF Youth Shotguns
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 01:21:28 PM »
I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this topic has already been covered. What is your opinion of the Pardner and Topper 20 gauge youth models? I'd like to get a shotgun for my daughter within the next couple of years... she's only six but very tall and solid. Some people have recommended a 12 gauge semi-auto as she might get gun-shy due to the recoil. I can't see spending that kind of money... I don't even have a semi. A quality single-shot seems more practical. What are your thoughts and/or experiences? Thanks for the input.
Excellent value for the $$ spent. I started 4 grandsons out over the last few years with one; all in 20ga. Additionally my wife uses one; also in 20ga, as her primary upland & turkey gun. It's very well proportioned for ladies & youth. My wife is extremely pleased with "her gun". (After this season she is sending her's back to the factory to get a 28ga & 410 barrels for it.)

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:08:57 PM »
Tough to go wrong with one. I started with one(not a youth though) that was my Dads first gun as well.  I started my wife with a 28 ga Pardner and now she can hit anything she tries to.  Remington even has a new Managed Recoil 20 ga load if you don' t handload to help get her started.  http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/target/managed-Recoil_STS.asp  I don't see that much difference between that and many others but there may be.

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »
 ???

Big ol;

Go for it I have a 20ga youth model and love it can't go wrong for the price and quality!GL

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 05:00:08 PM »
My son started with the 20ga N.W.T.F. Topper Jr. Classic J.A.K.E.S. gun in modified choke about 10 years ago. It will floor them gobblers with no problems. back in '99 he took a gobbler in Michigan on opening morning at 22 yards and one in Missouri the followng week at 25 yards. It would be nice to have the screw in chokes for more versatility though, but not actually needed if you know the capabilities of both shooter and gun. I would say 30 yards max for turkeys with the modified choke. They are very practical, safe, and reliable. What's not to like? ;) ;D
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Big Ol Gobbler

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 10:01:30 AM »
Thank you to all.  ;)