Author Topic: Forgot to clean the barrel  (Read 913 times)

Offline Travis Shuck

• Trade Count: (0)
Forgot to clean the barrel
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:16:46 PM »
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum.  I just picked up my first Handi Rifle last week.  It got the .223 with the laminated stock and bull barrel.  My question is: I forgot to run a patch down the barrel to get the oil out before I shot it.  Did I do any irreversible damage by doing this? I sure hope not.  This is the first itme I have ever forgot to do this so I don't know.  I do know that it didn't shoot as good as I was expecting.  I am going to try some different ammo tommorrow.  Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
"seeing then that all these things shall be disolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness." 2Peter 3:11

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Forbot to clean the barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 01:23:47 PM »
Welcome aboard!! :) Yup, you done went and ruined it, might just as well put it up for sale here, someone feeling sorry for you will surely take it off your hands for ya!!! ;D ::) ::) ::)

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it, worse things have been done, clean it good, inside and out, they come with a lot of gunk from the factory. Then pick up a box of Winchester White box 45gr JHP and head to the range and just shoot it, use any break in method you prefer from the shoot/clean ritual to just shooting it. It may take some range time to get it shooting the best, you may want to follow the recommendations in the FAQ and Help sticky, lots of tips in there to help. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 01:42:47 PM »
No damage at all. Shoot and enjoy!

Offline Travis Shuck

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 04:39:44 PM »
Thanks,

That is what I was hoping.  I couldn't get it to group very well.  I shot my .338 and 25-06 afterward and did very well, that's when it dawned on me that I did not clean it.  After that I started imagining that I must have ruined it.  Thanks for easing my mind.
"seeing then that all these things shall be disolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness." 2Peter 3:11

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:46:29 PM »
Is your rifle extractor or ejector equiipped? I would recommend you use loads of 55gr or lighter, not very many Ultras/Handis shoot heavier bullets with a few exceptions, even the newer 1:9" twist barrels with extractors like the lighter bullets. The Black Hills 52gr Match, 40gr Nosler BT also shoot good in both 1:12" and 1:9".

Tim

Offline Travis Shuck

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:59:01 PM »
It is new, and has the extractor brl. I would assume it is the 1:9 barl.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 06:15:56 PM »
Not necessarily, extractor barrels started in production in 2004, but lots of 2005 .223 barrels had 1:12" twist rates, I wouldn't doubt that some 2006 barrels have 1:12" twist rate too as this year was the first year that they said would be all 1:9" eventually. What's the second letter of the serial number on the frame? Build years are listed in the FAQ and well as how to check the twist rate.

Tim

Offline Travis Shuck

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 01:59:20 PM »
First off let me appologize for the spelling in the subject line of this post.  I really do know how to spell "forgot"

With that said:

I bought some Remington (couldn't find winchester) 55 gr., and headed back to the range.  I cleaned the barrel after every four shots. I shot 70 rounds this morning, and by the end I was able to keep 2 out of the four touching with the other 2 within about an inch.  I am much more impressed with my $219.00 rifle.  I will keep it.

Swampman

Re: Forgot to clean the barrel
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:07:01 PM »
How did we ever kill anything before we learned we were supposed to "break in" a barrel?  I sure had fun back in the old days.

Offline Travis Shuck

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 01:37:48 PM »
Not necessarily, extractor barrels started in production in 2004, but lots of 2005 .223 barrels had 1:12" twist rates, I wouldn't doubt that some 2006 barrels have 1:12" twist rate too as this year was the first year that they said would be all 1:9" eventually. What's the second letter of the serial number on the frame? Build years are listed in the FAQ and well as how to check the twist rate.

Tim

I checked the serial # it begins with NW.  According to the FAQ post it would be a 2006 model year. 

I really do think I am hooked.  I will probably buy one in .204 ruger for my wife and another .223 for my son.