Author Topic: need new bore solvent...  (Read 579 times)

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
need new bore solvent...
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »
 Because my wife says my #9 stinks up the house too much. Has anyone tried the new stuff that doesn't stink? I read about some in a magazine recently but don't remember who makes it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: need new bore solvent...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »
Try one of the foaming cleaners, they don't stink and they work real well with no brushing, use the search feature for foaming cleaner, you'll get the better part of 3 pages of hits.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »
I clean my guns in the basement, so smell is important. I use the foaming cleaners too. I use them because they work and if you really have a tough problem, you can leave them in for several hours, even over night with out harm. BTW I LIKE the smell of Hoppes #9 :o You will find that the foaming cleaners work much better than Hoppes, especially on copper fouling. I have also used TM solution and some times I use Kroil, if the fouling is no too bad. Steer clear of any cleaner with ammonia. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:10:38 AM »
I have used the Hoppes Elite cleaner and copper remover, and they work well without any smells either.  But the quickest was the spray in foaming cleaners.  I was very impressed.  I started doing most of my cleaning at the range, and have switched my cleaning solvents to shooters choice copper remover, but still use the elite cleaner for general use.  Good luck.

If all you've every used was Hoppes #9, I'd say you might need several cleanings with the foaming stuff.  I've been told the #9 dosen't remove copper.  Just my $.02

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:51:37 AM »
Wipeout foam, Good stuff. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 04:25:11 AM »
Shooters choice bore solvent smells nice removes copper and lead easily .been used by benchrest shooters for years
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:39:59 AM »
Here is another vote for the foaming bore cleaners.  Being conserned about energy conservation, my own ;D, it works great for us who have to many things to do.  Squirt it in, let it set and wipe it out.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 05:42:37 AM »
This link is in the FAQs...

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Offline Jones

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 06:54:07 AM »
Wipeout foam, Good stuff. 8)

+1

Don't stink unless you put it in your nose. I don't recommend that.

GJ

<a href="//" target="_blank" class="new_win">//</a>

Just wanted to know what that did.  ^

Offline Jamison

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 06:58:16 AM »
+1 on the Wipeout. I use it in my Handi's, Bolt guns and Levers. It's the easiest, best way to get a bore clean.

Offline Jones

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 06:58:47 AM »
So what douse that do?

GJ

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 07:29:03 AM »
Hoppies #9 is basically a solvent cleaner...just cleans out the powder fouling and hardly touches the copper. 

The best cleaner for all gunk in your barrels is WIPEOUT...either the newer jellied PATCHOUT stuff or the older foam WIPEOUT, used with the accelerator.  The foam can be messy if you don't read the fine print, follow instructions and be quick on the trigger with the trigger. It takes out powder fouling, carbon, copper and lead.  I've used it on older military weapons to get the bore totally cleaned...some that were over 100 years old and you couldn't see the rifling for the build up...it takes several days of scrubbing  first with a solvent/carbon cleaner and a brass brush, then Wipeout overnight soaking, then more scrubbing with the solvent...etc...until the patches show no blue.

I also use Shooters choice, Butches Bore shine, TMJ, Montana stuff, all available through Sinclair, Midway, Cabelas, and Lock stock and barrel...and I've probably tried every bore cleaner on the market for the past 50 years.  I have a shelf full of partially used "stuff" and now pretty much stick toSC, BBS or TMJ for field and initial cleaning, Montana copper cleaner for light copper fouling, and Wipeout overnight to get all the copper Krap out, with shooters that got 100 plus rounds at a session and all guns at the end of the season just before putting them away.  Using it keeps my varmnters, that get 500-1500 rounds a year each, from getting copper buildup and loosing accuracy.

I've tried one other brand of foam but it didn't clean as well as Wipeout, plus the can was smaller and cost more.  Now I keep two spare cans and reorder when I start on the first of the spares.  Reminds me...time to reorder.

Some people swear by Wipeout and some people sweat at it...usually because they didn't follow instructions and got the foam all over the place....you want to keep the foam off of anything except the bore.  The foam itself won't hurt but when it reacts with the stuff you want cleaned, it reacts then turns into a slightly corrosive chemical and can cause some stock finish problem....but then so will most of the other cleaning chemicals.  I've used it since it first came out, followed the instructions and never have any kind of problem with stocks or metal work.

Like everything in life...everything has it's good points and it's bad points...and you have to be smart enough to figure out which of the points you want.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »
I use an assortment of tubing to get the foam into the bore with no mess or wasted foam, if you can get a tight seal in the chamber, just a couple short bursts will fill the bore and a plastic bottle over the muzzle will catch any over flow and can be used on patches for touch up. WipeOut offers an optional appliator now, haven't tried it tho. Best buy in foaming cleaners is the 12oz Gunslick for $13 at Sportsman's Warehouse, as NFG said, I don't think it works as well as WipeOut, but it's good stuff just the same, made by Milfoam in Finland. http://www.milfoam.fi/ It's marketed as Gunslick, Outers, Hoppes, Forrest and others, it's more commonly available than WipeOut.

Tim

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't seen wipeout anywhere locally, but I can find the Outers stuff. The stuff I originally asked about was a regular liquid, not a foam, but I'll try out the foamy stuff anyhow.